Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ryan Key Offering Handwritten Lyrics • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jorbjorb

7 rings

Raku likes this.
  2. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This stuff fascinates me. I wish someone with more inside information could provide some insight.

Raku likes this.
  3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

good point, I would think its probably a bit of each. I would think for a young band with close to zero money, it would probably be goo to latch on with a label for promotion and getting their name out there and maybe once they complete there contract they can go off on their own and have more freedom, unless the label was Victory ;-)

Jdaniels and Fucking Dustin like this.
  4. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I will forever buy music as long as it's still an option. I have Apple Music, and it truly is fantastic, but never stop supporting the artists you love.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Kind of off topic but is his official name as a solo artist gonna be William Ryan Key and not just Ryan Key?

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

That's a fair point - even a lower take-home than $100K (or whatever it is) may be helped if you are splitting living expenses, not paying for meals when you aren't home, etc. But that only goes so far.

I would also hope they maybe banked some from when things were really good. I remember one of those old fee-per-night sheets that used to show NFG at 50-60K. Then you're talking about $4k per band member, I would hope. With 60 shows a year and merch, you might be talking $250K/person. Again, that lends itself to saying "we're not millionaires," which is 100% true, but it doesn't mean you aren't making a good living doing something you love.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  8. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I would buy one of these (or song written for you) if a songwriter I really liked did this. But really cool to see that Ryan and Maz are willing to do something like this.
    All they do IS tour but their merch lines are pretty packed most nights. Took me about 20 minutes to get through the line (with two people running the table) when I saw them do Catalyst/Sticks and Stones in April.

Jdaniels likes this.
  9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Not just that, but in Dallas, that alternative station doesn't even exist anymore. It literally got "merged" into a classic rock station (and that's basically all the station is). And we're a pretty big market.

Jdaniels and Bayside 182 like this.