Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ryan Key Offering Handwritten Lyrics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ryan Key, formerly of Yellowcard, has posted up a new store where you can order handwritten lyrics of any song Ryan’s written. Personally, I love these kinds of things. They make great, one of a kind, gifts and are a really smart way for artists to market and sell a part of their music to die-hard fans.

Sidebar: I’ll never understand someone sliding into someone’s mentions, repeatedly, just to be a dick.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

lol that twitter conversation rules

Raku likes this.
  3. aniafc

Trusted

"That's why we broke up. Thanks"

damn

Raku and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I didn't realize that finances were the primary reason for their break-up. That's sad to hear.

Raku likes this.
  5. aniafc

Trusted

Me either. It sucks because Southern Air was a great record, but then they lost some traction with Lift a Sail that they never quite got back.

6. DON'T YOU GET IT

Serenity Now likes this.
  7. IIRC they weren't really killing it with SA sales and tour money then either, it's one of the reasons they switched labels and made an attempt at one more radio run and shake it up to try and prolong the band. Didn't work. A real bummer. Great band.

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Not crazy about handwritten lyrics (edit: unless it's like, the original handwritten lyrics but I understand why that'd be a bit more difficult, especially if the lyrics weren't originally handwritten) but I like the concept, and more power to the people who do like em.

Serenity Now and suicidesaints like this.
  9. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wonder what the band does for money now. Did they have to get day jobs?

Raku likes this.
  10. aniafc

Trusted

Oh man, that's a bummer to hear. I couldn't recall everything that was going on with them so I just went off the billboard charts (which, isn't always the best representation but it's all I had).

Definitely one of those bands with a great discography that'll be missed a lot.

11. Yep. In various fields. Ryan's working on a solo album at his Nashville studio. I think the other Ryan may be working there as well? I don't remember.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ryan replied to another tweet later that said it wasn't just ticket sales.

13. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

if you turned on the top 40 radio in 1997 you mostly heard lots of rock/punk and in 2017 if you turn on the same station you'd be hard pressed to hear a punk rock song if you listened all day. It's really tough for rock bands to make it big outside the scene these days and im sure it's led to the ends of many talented bands. Just my 2 cents

Raku likes this.
  14. Fucking Dustin

On the other hand, in 1997 labels owned these bands and in 2017 bands don't get forced into that situation. And also, in 1997 a lot more people listened to top 40 radio than in 2017. I don't know, I feel like it's more complicated than that, even if it is a factor.

Raku and St. Nate like this.
  15. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Can I get handrwritten lyrics of songs he didn't write or like a book report?

16. shea

RIP Supporter

I fully intend to do this when I don't have a wedding to save for. Gives me time to narrow down the song choice..

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was gonna say $150 for framed signed lyrics for Smooth seems like a steal

18. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

yeah for sure, I just feel like no pop punk band could make it big these days because its unfortunately not the "in" genre. I went off topic a bit but I was just thinking of how many rock bands made it big 15-20 years ago and today there are hardly any. Its definitely nice these days for bands to go ahead and put out there own music and albums and promote, which probably would cost ten times as much in the 90s.

Raku and Fucking Dustin like this.
  19. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

P.S. New Found Glory has to be getting close to this point as well. Band tours WAY too frequently and people (myself included) tend to take them for granted.

20. Fucking Dustin

It kinda makes me wonder, which is more financially successful and sustainable? The bands making little money and keeping it for themselves, making the DIY approach work for them but never seeing it blow up, or the pop punk bands that appear everywhere but have nearly all the money going to the label? It's probably the latter giving the era difference, but it's interesting to think about which one ends up providing more longterm satisfaction.

Raku likes this.
  21. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

If we were ballparking - what is "sustainable" for artists like NFG and YC? $100K/yr pretax after all expenses accounted for? Is that "killing it"? "Getting by"?

I just don't have any idea what it is.

22. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I have to imagine, during the good years, those guys each pulled in more than $100k/year pre-tax. If those bands book for $20-30k/night, even after expenses, members must walk away with $1-2k. Play 50-60 shows a year + merch and other revenue streams, I would HOPE they're in the six figure land.

23. Fucking Dustin

That's also dependent on the type of deal they signed. In the more recent years (I say, referring to like the last 10+ years because time flies) the 360 deal has become so prevalent that it's possible the label takes from show earnings, not just as a show expense but to recoup for album costs if those have not yet been recouped. The label dips into everything in a 360 deal making returns on all fronts minuscule. I'm not sure what the "ideal number" would be per member to make a living.

To answer @fredwordsmith , I'd call 100k/yr after all expenses "getting by", probably.

EDIT: Another interesting factor is the cost of living in a band vs normal life. While 25k/yr might feel like it's not enough for a living whatsoever, it's also assumed that if you're on tour that much, you're probably not spending much on a place at home.

I don't know. There's so much at play when it comes to what's genuinely sustainable for a band.

24. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wonder how much they make a month from streaming. Spotify says YC has1,846,181 monthly listeners. If they all do 1 play a month that's $7400 ac. Still $1480 per member. Not sure how much the label takes a cut of that either.

edit. I got those numbers from a calculator I googled.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Raku likes this.