Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ruston Kelly - Shape & Destroy (August 28, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I love the second verse of Radio Cloud so much

2. drewinseries

Drew

Verses of Radio Cloud are so so good. I like the second half of the chorus better than the first, the “pretty roses” and “around” melodies are so great.

Do you think the “virus, sign of the times” line was just a coincidence? Or added recently.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

@Craig Manning any more upbeat songs on the album in the "Radio Cloud" vein?

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"In the Blue" isn't as poppy, but has a similar vibe. And "Under the Sun" is definitely more of a "rock song" than anything on Dying Star.

5. Matt Chylak

Cool beans. He's good with a hook, and the sad but upbeat singalongs are definitely a live highlight. Anything weird or out there, the way "Son of a Highway Daughter" takes Dying Star off the rails in a good way? I guess "Under the Sun" might count.

6. Craig Manning

I hear "Under the Sun" as his Dashboard Confessional song, so that might qualify? And then "Hallelujah Anyway" is essentially a piece of choral music, just with a bunch of multi-tracked Rustons rather than an actual choir. It's definitely the closest thing to "Son of a Highway Daughter."

falafelmywaffle and Matt Chylak like this.
  7. drewinseries

Drew

I think he opened with the closer at his latest Ryman show.

8. drewinseries

Drew

is in the blue full band, or at least like Rubber or Radio Cloud

9. Matt Chylak

Nice! Thanks for the tidbits.

P.S. Check the Becca Mancari album that came out today if you haven't yet. She broaches something wonderful on quite a few tracks.

10. Craig Manning

Yeah, it's a similar thing to "Radio Cloud." Still acoustic-led, but a bright, hopeful sound and definitely a band behind him.

I will do that. Thanks!

11. Love "Radio Cloud." It reminds me of some Kathleen Edwards song, can't place which one

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ah, piss

unfortunately seemed like things haven’t been great for a while, so i can’t really say i’m surprised

14. Craig Manning

Shit, that makes me really sad.

15. @@ron

Regular

When I read his article I think it was in EW a couple weeks ago.. it was mostly discussing his path of sobriety and that journey. He was saying that it’s a dangerous thing that artists feel they have to “use” to create. At the end in the related articles the first one was something like Kacey Musgraves, LSD, and the making of Golden Hour. I remembered thinking that was weird at the time. I’m sad for them.

16. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Ah, this sucks. Love them both, hope they both find happiness.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Bummer

18. drewinseries

Drew

Man I shouldn’t feel as bummed as I do but I really hope he’s okay.

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

:/

20. Craig Manning

Gotta be so hard to go through that in the public eye. Hope he's doing alright.

21. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Seriously couldn't even imagine...agreed, hope they're both healing

22. Craig Manning

I read some of the comments on the Billboard tweet linked in this thread, and it just convinced me that like 90 percent of people are garbage. Can't imagine anyone commenting on my personal life in that way.

23. yeah this was the only reply that wasn't trash tbh

24. sending good vibes to ruston, stay strong brother. and to kacey too ofc. life is long and complicated and being famous/artistic doesn't change that at all

25. Craig Manning

Yeah, definitely the person on that thread that is the least in need of being fired into the sun. It got, like, weirdly invaded by Taylor Swift stans?