Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ruston Kelly - Shape & Destroy (August 28, 2020) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Apr 13, 2020.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I think Brave is my favorite at this point, which in a year where Phoebe Bridgers and Soccer Mommy released similarly “hopeful, yet devastating” work, is very very impressive. Think Ruston has a crossover appeal that he really should be leaning into more, from a press perspective

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If the singles are really out-of-this-world great, I think hearing them before the album comes out can actually enhance my enjoyment. That definitely happened with The Killers this year.

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Feel like the singles for this are a pretty bad example of what the record is like. It’s a lot more upbeat than they’d have you believe imo. Also, on first listen, this is probably the best album I’ve heard this year

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is my first time listening to him. I love his voice! The first two tracks are my favorites.

5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Never realized R Kelly's first name was Ruston...

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i’m good with not thinking about pedophiles in this thread tbh.

7. Craig Manning

Yep, I’m fine not thinking about that piece of shit ever again.

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Bad joke. I understand. Just never heard of Ruston Kelly before and unfortunately that's what caught my eye and made me check him out. At least something good came of it. Discovered a great new artist.

ChaseTx and falafelmywaffle like this.
  9. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

hell yeah bro I got like 301 or something when I bought it yesterday

jorbjorb, Sean Murphy and coleslawed like this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This record should be huge. On here and everywhere, it's so good

11. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Okay so a couple of thoughts. This is really good but it hasn't hit me quite as hard as Dying Star did right off that bat. Take nothing away from this though as it's great. Only song I'm not really sold on is Jubilee. Also I kind of wish he would have named the album "Hallelujah Anyway"

12. hairtaylor

Regular Supporter

Agreed.

13. This is really great, but definitely too early to feel like I can honestly compare it to Dying Star.
    Also, I totally agree with this.

14. Craig Manning

It doesn't knock me out like Dying Star did, but I think I'll probably put it on more often.

falafelmywaffle and Slangster like this.
  15. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

As much as I love Dying Star, it's such a bleak listen that I don't listen to it all that often, especially with the world how it is right now. This album, while also melancholy, has enough hope in it that I feel like it's easier to listen to.

Too early to say which I like more. Feel like they'll be albums I put on when I'm in different moods. But they're both incredible.

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. Oviedotiger

Regular

Just curious if anyone has gotten emails about it being shipped yet?

17. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

No

18. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

His closers are so good and both leave me wishing they were more than 90 seconds long.

19. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I don't hate Shape & Destroy as a title but every time I finish the album I can't help but think that Hallelujah Anyway would've been a killer title. Honestly my only nitpick with the whole album so far: the title isn't as good as his first (+EP) or as good as it could've been.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

shape & destroy is a great title, as is his explanation for it. better than hallelujah anyway, which is clunky.

21. Craig Manning

I think Shape & Destroy is super appropriate thematically, especially with how he tends to go back and forth between songs that seem more hopeful and songs that seem to be a little more despairing. I think the title speaks more to the daily process of rebuilding your life the way he has. "Hallelujah Anyway" is a great name for the closing track to that album, however.

coleslawed and .K. like this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Both are potentially interesting album names. I agree with Craig though. Also, Shape and Destroy seems fitting for this year.

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it's clunky at all. It's a beautiful mix of poetic and conversational, which is so his writing style. It certainly doesn't clunk when he sings it.

24. achoiceofthree

I don't care about your band.

This is one of those albums that has just completely taken over my life, but I can't articulate any of my feelings towards it in a meaningful way anyone would want to read (just yet). I traveled to Nashville to see him at The Ryman, and that was my last show before quarantine, and now that this is out I'm just suuuuuper wishing I could see every single one of these songs live... but at least I'm feeling something again!

25. Craig Manning

To be clear, I think Hallelujah Anyway would be a great title too. I just think Shape & Destroy makes a lot of sense.