Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ruston Kelly - Dying Star (September 7, 2018) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by heywassuphello, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is better because now you just have a bad opinion.

2. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Cool, man.

3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Well, that’s honestly preposterous.

4. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

He has so many trash records

Matthewconte likes this.
  5. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Lol alright have fun with it. I mean, no one here is suggesting he doesn't have filler. But to claim this man, who's released 300+ songs, doesn't have a great 50 and a solid 150 is silly.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Still in love with this. There's been a lot of fantastic releases in 2018 but I think this will end up being my #1.

7. Craig Manning

My top 3 are kind of in a group at the top of my list right now, followed distantly by everything else. This is definitely one of those three, though.

8. Dave Diddy

Got ya. I think I have a top 5 of albums I really love, followed by a pretty large group that I like quite a bit. This, Caitlyn, Kacey, Field Report, and Spanish Love Songs

9. Craig Manning

This, Caitlyn, and Kacey are definitely my top three. After that, I honestly don't know. Lori McKenna is probably number four. I'm not sure where Field Report would be. I haven't listened to that one in a little while. I ultimately didn't end up being anywhere near as enamored with that album as I was/still am with Marigolden.

10. @@ron

Regular

Caitlyn? Just wondering who I should be checking out.

11. Dave Diddy

Caitlyn Smith and yes you should absolutely check her out.

Ah see I have the exact same dilemma with the new Lori McKenna. I loved her old one but this one hasn't clicked. Maybe the cooler weather will spark something. I love the new field report. I'm not sure it has quite the same highs as marigolden does but I also think it's more consistent. Maybe that's not fair to say, I just have 2 songs on marigolden that I skip vs none on summer songs.

@@ron likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

There are two songs on each that I don’t love, but I like the ones on Marigolden better than the ones on Summertime Songs. I actively dislike “Healing Machine.”

As for Lori, I think her new one is a step up from the last one. I hope it clicks for you!

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Really glad i got this recommendation, this album is incredible.

14. Dave Diddy

Played this probably 15 times or so in the first couple weeks, needed to give it a little break but i'm back baby! Sad but not super surprised to see this didn't really generate the kind of buzz on here I think it deserves.

15. Craig Manning

I feel like everything just gets passed over so quickly these days. It sucks.

Quercus likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

After a handful of listens this underwhelmed me a bit, I liked the EP more (which I do love). I don’t have much of an ear for country, so maybe I’m just not appreciating or overlooking certain things, but aside from some standouts it really started to blend for me.

For what it’s worth I made it a point to listen to less music this year/listen to stuff I do like more, so I think I gave it a fair shake.

17. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

This has been the only thing I listen to in my car for the last few weeks. Also, Mercury has been hitting me hard lately

18. Craig Manning

Wow, very surprising to me that anyone would like the EP more. The songwriting on this album seems so much stronger to me.

19. Dave Diddy

While I really like the EP it's also like half filled with songs comprised of just the sound of someone pouring a drink and whatever so I hate the flow (or lack thereof) of the EP. But as far as the actual songs go I really like them, but yeah Dying Star is better.

20. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

It's still not cold enough in Georgia for me to want to listen to this on repeat but I'm heckin' excited to see him live again in a couple of weeks.

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

If I had to guess I’d say it’s because the EP was my first exposure to a brand of country that I liked so I quickly connected to it. With some exceptions (like Son, which is great), it’s a pretty similar sounding record, so the novelty factor had dissipated a bit.

22. Reach for the sky!

You are a sad, strange little man. Prestigious

This thing still blows me away every time I put it on. Very excited to see him next Friday.

23. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

gonna peep this tomorrow

24. Craig Manning

Yeah, that makes sense. For me, the EP was pretty textbook "this guy has potential, but he's not quite there yet" stuff. I really loved two of the songs ("Black Magic" and "Poison"), but I just generally thought the LP hit the mark of what I wanted him to do and the growth I was hoping to hear from him.

disambigujason likes this.
  25. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious