Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Russian-Owned LiveJournal Bans Political Talk, Adds Risk of Spying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Beth Elderkin, writing for Gizmodo:

LiveJournal, a blog community that’s hosted a lot of science fiction authors and fans (including George RR Martin), has officially banned “political solicitation”— which can mean anything that criticizes the Russian government, as well as pro-LGBTQ discussions. There are also concerns users can be subject to Russian spying.

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

...i prob shouldn't have blindly accepted that updated terms agreement. Also prob shouldnt use lj in the year of our Lord 2017 but whatevs

3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

omg! i didn't know LJ was Russian owned. i only use it to read my gossip blog which has a pro-LGBTQ community... i wonder if ONTD will move

skogsraet, ryan.conde and Kiana like this.
  4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Yeah I actually thought most of the LJ community (at least back in the day) was very pro-LGBTQ. This seems... like a very odd change. I also didn't know it was Russian based though, which is surprising. So overall this movie is kinda, confusing.

5. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

Same sis

oop @ me

Kiana likes this.
  6. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I mean, they were purchased by a Russian company. This really shouldn't come off as a surprise.

Brent likes this.