Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 88

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Reading those @Supernova and @Craig Manning posts made my entire body hurt. Or maybe it was just the four slow miles I ran yesterday. Hard to tell.

Supernova and Craig Manning like this.
  2. Supernova Aug 14, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2022)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I feel all of that. I will get out in the worst conditions because I’m able to do so. With me, ultra running takes you through some incredible highs and lows. You never know what’s coming on race day when you’re out there 5,6,10,15,30 hours. It’s toughness training. On the flip side, I absolutely bail on runs because I don’t feel like it though at times. I recall twice last month I had a run planned and I just decided it wasn’t in the cards so I stayed/went home.

I kind of enjoy it when people tell me “oh I could never do that” when it comes to my running. I said the same thing before I started. At age 28 I NEVER thought I would ever do a 5k. Then later it was never do a half marathon. Then “people run for 100 miles!?!?” Then I did all those things and more by finding the passion and keeping at it. People limit themselves too much without hesitation. (I’m about to start ranting about a sedentary lifestyle and the typical American diet but I’ll hold myself back lol). I like sharing my running stories on Facebook and Insta partially so I can maybe motivate others to get outside and get moving.

Mileage wise this year I’m a little over 1300. Last year was 1450ish. I’ll hit 2000 before Dec if all goes well.

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

sheesh. i dont think i hit much over 1k last year. this year i set the lofty goal of 2k and i'm also just above 1300 for the year. can't imagine being at 2000 already!

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I was really burning a lot of miles in the lead-up to my marathon. Eased off since then, but didn't really take a big break either, so that's why.

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  5. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Knocked out my 50 mile race. Rebecca Mountain 50. 9h:06m good for 5th overall. 5166 feet of climbing. 85% single track trail with a little dirt road action. Most GPS watches read 47-48.5 miles for this one, but there is one main spot early on and the last 10 miles are on some pretty tight, twisty turney trails where GSP gets thrown off a bit. (for once on one of my big races that my watch would actually register 100 miles, or 50k, or 50 miles. :tear:)

I'm happy with how the day went. Weather was about perfect for September in central Alabama. Started around 66 degrees with slight rain. It only hit the low 80's well after 50% of the way through Last year I did this race and felt bad well before halfway. Achilles problems and going out too fast resting in fatiguing quickly and some very slow miles. This year was redemption. This year I felt great for a long time. Training has been so much better than last year. I was able to hold a good pace while still holding back a bit earlier on so that I was actually able to run strong on the mostly flats and downs. I tend to power hike the moderate and major climbs. Too much energy spent trying to trot them, hurting me in the long run. After the 50k mark it was on dirt roads for the next 6 miles and ended up running/walking. I'd give myself 10-15 second walk breaks here and there.

I had all my nutrition on me and had a drop bag at mile 25 to refill gels. I was taking a 100 calorie gel every 20 minutes or so. A few times I took 4 within the hour to keep my energy up. So 300, 350 up to 400 cals per hour. Some caffeinated gels, some not. I'd alternate GU brand and Spring brand. I was taking a single GU electrolyte tablet in one of my water bottles every aid station, and taking GU salt pills 2-3 per hour. I was hitting probably 600-800mg of sodium per hour. Very humid, lots of sweat. I was in and out of aid stations very quickly. Maybe 1 minute max just to refill water and get a GU tablet. No time to waste.

First place guy was like 7 hours and 15 minutes. Absolute monster effort. Then it was like 8:35, 8:45, 9:01, 9:06(me). I was only 5 mins off from being 4th OA and 3rd place male. Knowing after the fact that I was only 5 mins off from getting a podium award is a bit disappointing. It is what it is though. I don't know what I could have done differentially to have changed that. I told myself on the last bit of winding trails that never freaking ended to stop being such a pussy and run faster. Maybe I should have ran faster ;-p

bobby_runs and marsupial jones like this.
  6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Perfect fall running weather the last few days. Always forget how great it is compared to melting in the sun in summer.

Ann Arbor, MI marathon next Sunday finally. Feels like it’s been years since the San Francisco marathon in July. Body feels a little bit beat up, but a lot better than it did two weeks ago.

7. Garrett

I’ve got a half in six weeks and I am struggling so hard with motivation. COVID killed all of my momentum last month and I’m just tired all the time.

Supernova likes this.
  8. Garrett

Just knocked out a 7 miler anyway and I feel so damn good

9. marsupial jones

Greetings from Ann Arbor, MI. Been about 8 years since I was last year, feels like a weird homecoming of sorts. Let’s do this thing tomorrow morning.

Craig Manning and Garrett like this.
  10. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

well not with that attitude

11. marsupial jones

me figuring out how many miles I day I’ve have to run on average to get to 2,500

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Craig Manning and GrantCloud like this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i got a little over 1k in 2021 so i'm happy with this years progress
    [​IMG]

marsupial jones likes this.
  13. biem Oct 13, 2022
    (Last edited: Oct 24, 2022)
    biem

Running is a perfect exercise to begin with.

Supernova likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

2,500 miles and counting as of today's run. Feel good about my goal of hitting 3,000 by December 31.

bobby_runs likes this.
  15. Garrett

An average of 8.12 miles a day. I've run further than that like five times this year total.

16. Craig Manning

The 20+ days help make it feasible, haha

Elder Lightning and Supernova like this.
  17. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

Was gonna ask in the Q&A thread but didn't want to hijack it too much with running talk, but do yall have a Chorus Strava group? Only know a few runners IRL and would love to follow yalls training if so.

18. Craig Manning

We do indeed!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/chorusfm

StreetSpirit likes this.
  19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

15 days until marathon #15!!!

StreetSpirit and marsupial jones like this.
  20. marsupial jones

Congrats / best of luck! which one are you doing?

Elder Lightning likes this.
  21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Thanks! My ankle is not thrilled but I’m managing.

I’m running the Richmond marathon on the 12th. It’s been about 5 and a half years since my last so I’m excited!

marsupial jones likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

I will have to keep this one in mind for my Virginia marathon - love that it’s a “one way route” so its all unique (not a looped course or an out and back which I’m not a fan) and I don’t think I found this one when I was looking at Virginia marathons

Elder Lightning likes this.
  23. marsupial jones

I never played sports in school growing up which meant I never suffered any injuries from sports nor did I suffer anything outside of a broken finger in 3rd grade so I’ve never had to deal with an injury in all spectrums (pain, recovery, limited activity, etc.) but today was diagnosed with cuboid syndrome which basically means ouch my foot hurts with every step and I shouldn’t run for at least 4-5 weeks.

So there goes my Alabama marathon in December and who knows if Austin, TX in February will be doable.

It’s amazing how much we take our bodies for granted, especially when it’s a body part that is required for movement, because just the idea of getting down to my car and going to the store to pick up a few things seems physically and mentally exhausting.

I haven’t gone longer than 5 days without a run in over 3 years so I don’t know how stir crazy I’m gonna get but this is gonna be a battle and I have no previous experience with recovering from an injury so I’ve been asking some friends and family for advice on how to mentally take each day and the road to recovery. I guess I can focus on more core workouts and lifting and such but just gonna be weird to not run and not even be able to go for walks of any solid distance and limit squats and even my stationary bike is a no-go. Could always be worse but goddamn this is gonna suck.

Supernova likes this.
  24. bedwettingcosmo

weird timing cuz i'm in the same boat. been dealing w/ a pretty gnarly quad strain. i've been running 6-7 days a week for the last 3-4 years and ended up taking last weekend off to try and heal. ran 3 days this week and it flared up pretty bad. gonna have to sit out for a minute and let it heal. not sure how i'm gonna get through it.

Supernova likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Oh man, I feel for you guys. I’m super afraid of getting hurt and having to take considerable time off. Hard to let the routine slip when you’ve been in it for awhile, especially when you feel like you’re really hitting a peak with fitness and speed. Hoping for a quick recovery for both of you!

marsupial jones and Supernova like this.