Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 87

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

did a state holiday 5k this morning. first sub 6 in a minute

[​IMG]

MexicanGuitars and Craig Manning like this.
  2. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Not sure where you're staying but if you're kind of into tiki/rum cocktails I'd highly recommend going to Smuggler's Cove.

marsupial jones likes this.
  3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

5:52/mi pace and 160 bpm average um wat

4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

We were there last night! That was right by the start / finish area so we went back last night when we saw that after the events were done. Super good, a lot of fun.

Also ate at Bistro Boudin, Franciscan Crab Restaurant, El Porteno for empanadas, The Stinking Rose, The Bird, Ghirardelli’s ice cream place and numerous others lol. Covered quite a bit of ground for only being in the city for Saturday and Sunday and occupied with the marathon for the early part of Sunday lol

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I signed up for two half marathons (November and April), so I finally started a new training routine today. It went better and worse than I expected. We’ll see how tomorrow goes.

But I felt so good afterwards that it was a nice reminder of why I stuck with it through all the nonsense of the full marathon and COVID delays.

6. Garrett

These Cloudmonsters are doing incredible things for my average pace. Adjusting to that, too.

Elder Lightning likes this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

i bought a pair of cloudrunners based off the hype in this thread a bit ago and they are one of my least favorite shoes and did nothing for my pace lol.

8. marsupial jones

I’m not smart enough to understand how shoes can help pace. Unless you’re running in a non-running shoe I feel like it would be a placebo effect lol

9. bedwettingcosmo

carbon plates

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Having run my marathon in trainers and my most recent half marathon in Vaporflys, I can 100 percent say that shoes make a big, big difference. Not just for pace, but for recovery. My biggest regret for the marathon is not having the super shoes!

Garrett likes this.
  11. marsupial jones

You know, I’ve heard people ask or reference trainers or “what do you wear for training” and I don’t understand what that means or implies lol. I have shoes that I now wear specifically for marathons, but I wear the same type / model during training, just a different color so I can keep them apart.

But like… are there shoes that are “made for training” and how would they be different from shoes worn during marathons / races? (Not sure if actually asking, just saying the question out loud lol)

12. Garrett

I train in what I race in. Did my last two races in Cloudswifts. Very comfortable shoe.

13. bedwettingcosmo

i always race in my saucony endorphin pros. when i'm doing regular runs i alternate between those, the clouds and a pair of altra's that i really like.

14. Craig Manning

Most running shoes would be classified as trainers. You CAN run races in those, but there are also racing shoes built to give you a little extra oomph on race day. The hype with Vaporflys is that they are essentially designed to give you back more of the energy of your impact on the ground, which ultimately means you can run as hard/fast/far with, like, 4 percent less energy/effort. Over a longer race, that 4 percent adds up, to the degree where most people can run marathons several minutes faster with super shoes than with standard trainers. That’s why all the pros use them/why they’ve set records/why some people think they should be banned.

marsupial jones likes this.
  15. marsupial jones

Took the last 3 days off from running due to a busy schedule and wanting the knot in my calf to go away and man, even though it was only a few miles, it’s amazing how grumpy and restless I get when I go just two days without a run.

Part of me worries greatly what will become of me if I ever get injured and can’t run because it’s like a complete 180 mentally for me when I’m running vs a few days off.

16. Craig Manning

Ran my first 5K in three years today. Was hoping to break 16, but it ended up being like 90 degrees and 100 percent humidity at the start. Still came away with a PR in 16:20, but man, racing in that kind of heat sucks. Can’t imagine trying to do a marathon in conditions like that.

17. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Man I haven't visited this thread in so long! :verysad: Here's a word vomit from missing out!

I also ran a PR 5k today! 19:47! I had a bit left to give which felt good since I wasn't totally defeated at the end or during. I felt strong. Not my "A" race; tune up. On a damn hard course with some tough hills, 85 degrees and humidity out the wazoo(same as Craig). That's super cool to me for the fact that I'm focused on the ultra distance. 50 mile race in Sept which I'm hoping to beat my time from last year(sub 10 hour is my goal. 10:51 was last year). The training I've been doing is varied, pretty on purpose, and paying off well. Total volume has went up a lot from last year and I feel good. Hitting 50 and 60 miles per week on mostly trail, regularly, with a lot of climbing, with a down week in there every 4th week or so. 5-6.5k of vert per week average. Close to 10k last week with 60 miles. No injuries since last year. Recovery days are cherished and respected. I'm eating a ton of quality foods to keep me fueled and strong.

I've got a 50k next weekend and a hard 20 miler with a lot of vert the weekend after. All buildups for my 50 miler.

Back in May I won a trail 50k. 5h:54m that had 4600 ft of climbing along with hot and humid since it's the southeast.

(I ran in my Vaporfly Next % today. God bless those shoes)

18. bedwettingcosmo

yall are awesome.

Supernova and Craig Manning like this.
  19. Garrett

where can I trade in my hip, knee, and ankle joints for yours

Supernova likes this.
  20. marsupial jones

Very humid where I am in Wisconsin so I decided to stick right along Lake Michigan to keep as cool as possible and I turned and got like 2-3 blocks inland and literally stopped, said, “oh fuck” and turned back around. Was like a goddamn wall of a magma or some shit, was incredible.

So no surprise I barely saw people out at all along the Lake Michigan let alone elsewhere on my drive there or back, it’s horrid out there

21. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Crushed a 50k race last night. 2nd overall at 5h:1m. 9:43 avg pace and 4009 feet of climbing. So I brought down my PR time from 5:54m in May to this! (better weather, stronger fitness, more runnable course)

2 loops of a lollipop style dirt road course which is anything but flat; up and down all the way. Race started at 6pm. Had some "dry" air move in on Friday so the humidity was lower and the temps in the low/mid 70's. Felt great however I was still soaked to the bone.

I was 2nd for 8ish miles then got passed by a dude. I kept on moving strong doing my own thing. Got to the last manned aid station at mile 25.5 and I asked how far the next 50k was ahead. "2-3 mins". I said "fuckin bet". Caught him with around 3 miles to go and held him off with a strong finish.

22. Craig Manning

Hit 2,000 miles on the year this week. I’ve spent a significant percentage of 2022 running, haha

23. marsupial jones

I was hoping to get to 2,500 this year but that will have to be a 2023 goal as it won’t be attainable for 2022 but still will be happy to get close.

Craig Manning likes this.
  24. marsupial jones

I know I said something similar during winter, but yesterday was kind of shit weather (rainy and cloudy so low motivation for someone not in a training plan or who enjoys running) and while I don’t really think about strangers or care what people think of me, in shitty weather runs I like to imagine what people going by in cars are saying or thinking.

Like, on a great summer day of course you’re going to see tons of people out, but when someone is out during bad weather? I imagine a lot of “what the fuck”, “that guys crazy”, “way too motivated for me to do that” etc. and it’s kind of motivating?

One day I was really hurting and limping to the end of a run and found out the next day some coworkers saw me near the end and without their spouse knowing that they knew me said, “that’s fucking incredible. I barely felt like getting out of bed to go grocery shopping and that guy is cruising along in 90 fucking degree heat. I could never do that.” and they told me that and all I could think was - damn, I felt like absolute shit at that moment and here some stranger saw me, in that worst moment, and thought I was doing something amazing.

Which I was! Which we all are! Every time we run! So I try to think of that when times get tough.

Supernova and Craig Manning like this.
  25. Craig Manning

I hit 2,400 last year, which was my record, so I’m quite a bit ahead of that pace right now. I looked back and I got to 2,000 last year on November 11, three months later to the day from when I did it this year. Probably going to shoot for 3,000.

My comment is usually “This guy probably hates his life right now,” but as a runner, I know too much!

Supernova likes this.