Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 72

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I am officially cleared by my PT to go hard again. We've spent the last weeks really testing the injury and today my leg was golden. Pretty happy with the entire process -- I would've missed my original marathon had COVID not postponed it again, but now I'm in a great position to get across the finish line on Nov. 20th.

I just gotta heat acclimate asap. This is brutal.

Supernova likes this.
  2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Anyone watching the trials? Have a few friends in the discus and a few folks from my college team competing.

3. gyates329 Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2021)
    gyates329

Musician from Virginia Beach, USA

George ran track as a freshman in college. What running shoe would suit him best? George keeps his workouts intense and fun, while maintaining the superb posture and form he developed over years of athletic training.

4. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Here are some solid choices from what I've seen reviews for recently. I've only ran in the Asics Novablast and the version 1 of that New Balance and I love them both.

New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2 Men's Shoes Wht/Habanero

HOKA ONE ONE Mach 4 Men's Shoes White/Fiesta

ASICS Novablast Men's Shoes White/Black

zachmacD likes this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

signed up for a half here in April. send me any training/tips you have.

6. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Run to Phish jams.

phaynes12 likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I did my first half about six weeks ago, after what was going to be my first half marathon got cancelled in spring of 2020. Didn't train for it super deliberately; I couldn't quite bring myself to sign up for anything for a long time, not knowing what might happen, so I ended up jumping aboard with this one about 10 days out when it looked pretty certain to go forward. Ended up hitting a 1:17:42, which I was super happy with. Now looking for one that I can train a little more purposefully for (and of course, back in the "COVID cancelling shit" mode).

My best advice is to up your mileage. I was pretty solidly hitting ~50 miles a week heading into this race, and generally pushing my pace on most of those runs, so it didn't feel like too much of a push to do 13.1 at race pace. One longer run a week is essential (I'd say 10 miles or more) to start getting used to that level of distance. I'm not as hard into specific regimented workouts as some distance runners I know, but giving yourself little challenges on runs (surges for certain distances or amounts of time) is definitely effective and can motivate you a lot.

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. MikeERayner

Trusted

50 miles a week?! Man, when I’ve done fulls I’ve maxed out at like 50km a week! (31 miles)

9. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Im a biker not a runner, and I maybe BIKE 50 miles a week lol

running 50 miles a week is incredible to me

10. Craig Manning

Ha, maybe it doesn't seem like a ton to me because I know runners who do 80-100 a week. I ain't got time for that!

I try to do 6-8 every day, plus a longer run on Friday or over the weekend.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  11. phaynes12

isnt 1:17 for a half pretty insane too? the world record is like 58 minutes. the one i signed up for isn’t a huge one by any means but the person who finished first last year did like 1:38

12. Craig Manning

It's like 5:56 pace per mile, so pretty fast. I came in sixth. The guy who won was a D1 runner at Notre Dame and did it in like 1:07. This was a decently big race that tends to draw a fair number of people from out of town, since it takes place during my hometown's huge summer festival.

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. phaynes12

jeez louise

my goal is 2:05 lol

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

if you're just starting, 50 miles will get you hurt real quick. ease into it.

15. phaynes12

gonna use the nike run club plan

16. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Some starter questions before I ever chime in on what someone’s plans are:

How many miles do you average a week over the last 4-5 months?

when is the race?

what is your longest run to date?

Do you have proper shoes?

Do you do any cross training currently? (Squats and core exercises 2-3 times a week are super beneficial)

how many days a week do you usually run?

Is the race on a trail or pavement?

how often do you do hill runs? (Recommend at least once a week)

17. phaynes12

12ish
    7 months from now in april
    like 7 miles
    yes but I could probably stand to get a new pair before the race for sure
    yes
    3 days
    I believe it's pavement with some minor hills
    definitely need to do this, I have a moderately hilly neighborhood where I run but I tend to avoid the hills

18. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Honestly if you were fairly active in high school or college a 7-9 mile run 3 weeks before race day would be sufficient to know you can complete the distance.

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. terps12

Regular

As someone who has been running relatively consistently for about a decade now, if you think you need a new pair of shoes, you probably needed a pair 100 miles ago. I swap my shoes every 350 or so miles but everyone is different.

You should easily be able to build to a half in 7 months. I'm a big fan of 4 run workouts a week + 1 30-45 min bike session and some bodyweight/core exercises broken down like:

M - 2-3 miles of sprints
    T - 3-4 mile recovery run (10:00/mile)
    W- Rest
    Th- 4-5 mile tempo at race pace (9:15/mile)
    F- Bike
    Sa- distance - starting around 6-7 miles and increasing to about 12 pre-race - this should be at whatever pace you can sustain for the run. When I do this run, I normally focus on a negative split, meaning my last miles aim to be faster than my first miles. Focusing on that will prevent you from going out too fast and then cutting the run short or walking a lot on the back half. It's entirely okay to walk portions of this run, especially if you're going to walk a bit during your race, just try to be consistent - don't run the first 5 miles hard and then walk the last mile. When I get into the 14-20 mile range in my training, I still try to do a 9 min run 1 min walk split the whole time (I'm not a beast like Craig).
    Su - Rest

I like doing a bike workout the day before my long run because it helps simulate running with "tired legs", which will come in handy race day. In the beginning, start with 3 days a week and swap the recovery run for a bike, elliptical, or some other form of exercise.

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. Supernova

Running thread is back!

I’ve got my 50 mile race here in less than 3 weeks. I’m out here in Colorado currently staying at 10,440 feet to get some altitude stress/training and some vert in just because I can. Did a 12 mile “run” today up and down Mt Elbert 14,433ft. About 4500 fret of climb in the 5.7 miles up. I couldn’t run all that much of it due to the steepness going up and the technical trails going down. I would have ate shit. Oh and my lungs were dying. Did a good bit of vert yesterday too. Legs feel it, but in a good way.

I was able to hit my goal time in the 5k early in the month of 19:59. On a tough course in high humidity. (Chip time said 20:00 but my Strava 5k pr shows 19:59. I’ll count it. I don’t want to run a 5k again for awhile. ).

And I did it during ultra training. Most of my runs are silly easy. Throw in some strides on some of those as well. Some interval work on flat and some on hills. Run long over 1.5 hours most of the time. On long runs in the middle of the run put in a moderate hard tempo effort, easy on both ends. I’ve been between 35-55 miles a week. 2 rest days every week. Sometimes I bike on one of those. I hope to hit the 60-70 mile range here late Sept/early Oct.

I think resting well, sleeping well(7-8-9 hours), and eating enough help a ton.

5Stories, terps12 and marsupial jones like this.
  21. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

that’s awesome! Best of luck!

I ended up doing a marathon in Iowa last weekend and while I have a new PR (3:50:17 - 20 minutes off my first marathon in 2019) which is great, it was all asphalt though which reminded me how much I’ve grown to love trails vs road running lol

Supernova likes this.
  22. Supernova

Trails are life.

marsupial jones likes this.
  23. been running in Pegasus 38s for about 2 weeks now and they’ve been heavenly. also been using NB Hierro 6s for hiking/trail running and they’ve been just as good.

Supernova likes this.
  24. phaynes12

i’ll never stray from Brooks tbh. absolutely the best running shoes imo.

Supernova likes this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

na, altra for life.

Supernova likes this.