Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 68

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

you ran your half faster than my 9 miles.

I’m now floating down an icy mountain creek with a cold beer and I am thinking ice baths are severely underrated in my routine

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

everyone starts somewhere friend. keep at it. running has been my lifelong friend and one of the most rewarding things in my life the past 15+ years

3. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I think it should also be noted that speed isn’t everything. Some people definitely like to focus on it and get faster, but it’s still the same amount of miles even if it takes someone longer. I’m not a big speed guy but it is fun sometimes to see how fast you can go certain distances but running 9 miles in 2 hours or 12 miles in 90 minutes doesn’t mean one is less than another. As long as you enjoy running that’s the best part.

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  4. bedwettingcosmo

amen

5. Garrett

Earlier this year I ran 9 in 1:28:23. Today was 1:43:18. I also was running today on a much hillier route. I’m happy with the time. I was most trying to encourage him then shit on myself, haha.

This is the first time I’ve ever trained for a full so my main goal is “finish”

Supernova likes this.
  6. Supernova Aug 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2020)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Yeah getting into the longer distance for the first time is super rewarding but man do you FEEL IT in your legs. I remember my 2nd half marathon I did. Severely under-trained coming off an injury. Whole body hurt. (say no to asphalt) My first trail race(which was a 15k) I wanted to lay immediately in a bed.

I bailed on the 10 miler race I had planned for today. Didn't feel like putting in a race effort, the 2+ hour drive 1 way, and me and the wife finally have an off day together. I found out I could do a virtual submission for my race and still get my shirt and medal(I don't like virtual races personally, but I want my shit). I ran a dirt road 10 mile route close to home at a comfortably hard effort and felt real good. Ate all the food afterwords. Kinda wish I would have gone since I did feel like I had more to give today. Oh well.

Starting this coming week I'm going to be following a half-marathon plan from Sage Canaday. Would like to get my half time down and work on some speed since I've been base building this Spring and Summer. After this training block is finished I'm looking to give another crack at my first 50k race attempt(that I completed in 2018) in February by doing another training plan leading up to it.

7. marsupial jones

Going to do a week of “ultra running training” Starting tomorrow. It doesn’t look too bad but I know It’ll definitely be challenging, but that’s the point!

Supernova likes this.
  8. Supernova

Shoot your shot!

9. marsupial jones

I’ve been battling mentally with if I like just running without a plan or upcoming race in mind or if having that keeps me going and on track for something. Some days I like it, some days I don’t. Like, some days I like the added pressure of knowing it’s coming up and telling people about it so that’s what drives me some days, but I also like not having that expense and added pressure. It’s weird.

so, I think my happy medium right now is that I’m going to run with a training plan again instead of just randomly running a certain distance or time every day but not actually have a race in mind / race I’m signed up for. Most of this is due to covid as there are races I could sign up for in 2021 but who knows if those will happen. Still not sure if SF will happen on November and some hotels you can’t even book so I might just skip SF this year unless I know for sure it’s happening by early October and I can get good flights and a close hotel (and if I feel like I’m capable at that time to run a marathon, hope so but we’ll see).

10. Supernova

Bought some new easy day trail runners because I have NO SELF CONTROL. Pegasus 36 Trail.

[​IMG]

(Not a 10mm drop fan but I can make these work)

11. Garrett

Anyone have any favorite gels/chews/drinks for the long runs? I'm moving into double digits for mileage this weekend and I'm at 99 days out from the marathon, so I really need to get a routine going for refuel.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

spring energy gels and tailwind powder for hydration does wonders for me. I’ll get an upset stomach from other gels. BUT clifbloks work well for me too. Especially the salted watermelon ones.

Garrett likes this.
  13. Garrett

I was looking at the salted watermelon ones on Amazon a little bit ago! Thanks for the insight

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  14. marsupial jones

I use baby food packets since it’s real food. I’ve tried UCAN, My Spring Energy, and some others and they’re all awful imo. They don’t wreck my body but they taste like shit imo but you may feel differently.

some Clif gems and whatnot are good in small doses but get old quick.

also a big fan of sports beans. Those are always good.

15. Garrett

First ten miler done! Salted watermelon clif bloks are tasty af

16. marsupial jones

San Fran officially cancelled earlier this week, same with Madison. Not even sure if I want to waste any more time looking at events in Q1 or Q2 of 2021, this shit is never gonna end.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I had 4 big races lined up for this year. All cancelled. I'm also not signing up for anything for awhile. Screw paying for "virtual" versions of races too. Especially when I can just go run for free haha.

bobby_runs and marsupial jones like this.
  18. bedwettingcosmo

virtual races are the worst. luckily they are still holding races where im at tho i haven't been running in much. kind of in a slump at the moment.

19. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I’ll sign up for virtual if you give me free beer or a coupon for something.

20. marsupial jones

I’ve never done a virtual race but have been bombarded with emails about them since March when everything started closing and they don’t make a lot of sense to me. Majority of them are like, “run 26.2 miles between 5/1 and 6/1 and send in your data and we’ll send you your medal and shirt and log your time on our site!” And that’s... that’s not a marathon or any type of race at all lol

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  21. Garrett

They just confirmed my marathon is still on for Nov. 21st. Time to get back on that fundraising for St. Jude grind.

22. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

After a few months of the pandemic and not feeling comfortable at all going back to the gym, where I used to do a four-day cycle of weight training and *very light* cardio, I decided I may try to get into running to go along with biking as my cardio/health activities. Did 2+ miles two out of the past three days and I honestly probably haven't ran that much since high school sports.

Also picked up last year's Saucony Echelon's for $30 off and they feel fantastic.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  23. bedwettingcosmo

welcome to the club

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  24. Garrett

Ran sixteen miles today and it's pretty obvious I won't be ready for a full running marathon by Nov. 21st. Do I switch to a walk/run regimen and still go for the 26.2 or do I commit to running a 13.1 which I know I have in the bag?

25. Supernova

Not an expert** Maybe you ran the 16 too fast vs how you plan to run your 26.2? Not sure what your goal time for the 26.2 is, but if its lets say 4 hours, then keep in mind where you're heart rate(as well as lactate threshold) is and can you hold that for 4 hours. You'll probably need to keep HR in a mostly aerobic zone and away from threshold for most of it(if 4 hr marathon). I would have no shame dropping to the 13.1. I dropped from a longer distance stage race 2 weeks ago to the short option and I'm super glad I did. Holding a higher HR for a 1h:45m half would be more ideal with current fitness? Heck, maybe do run/walk. No shame in that either. As long as you cover the distance, screw everybody else.

I sprained my ankle/foot pretty good on October 4th. I did a 3 day trail stage race that weekend. 6 miles Fri, 7 Sat, 6 Sun. Some of the terrain was incredibly rocky. Tip-toeing was all you could do in spots. However I was able to go fast when I needed to and I'm great running on the technical stuff especially downhill. I won each day and got 1st overall. In a really good spot fitness wise. 30 mins after I got home I stepped off my porch to unload the car(we tent camped at the camp site 1/4 from start/finish each day) and turned my ankle bad. Two ligaments have sprains, and I think 2 tendons have signs of tendinosis from what the MRI showed. I'm going to an actual orthopedic doctor on Monday to get some better guidance. Hopefully I'm not out too long from running. Haven't done a single exercise or gym related thing since the day I sprained it. Kind of feels good to reset the body a bit. I think tomorrow I'll head to the gym and attempt aqua jogging. I prob won't be able to do a 25k race I had in mind in December, but maybe I'm wrong. I also planned to attempt a PR on my 5k on Halloween at a local race but thats out too. Main thing I'm worried about is I won't have enough fitness and strength for the 50k I plan to do at the end of February. Depends on when I can start back training.

Garrett likes this.