Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 67

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Conversely, I had to cut my long run in half today because I was physically unable to do anymore.

Supernova likes this.
  2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Total first world problem but I wish I had magic powers to fill up my handheld water bottle on the go so I don’t have to plan runs around returning to my car for more water.

i have a water backpack too, and I wore that for my marathon, but that was in 30 degree weather so it was fine. I don’t like wearing it in 90+ degree weather but obviously it holds more than a water bottle so I’m stuck either wearing that or constantly returning to my car every 3 miles to fill the handheld.

Supernova likes this.
  3. Garrett

I can run ~6 without needing to carry water. But I definitely need to invest in a little bottle belt or something since my runs are getting past that mark now.

Supernova likes this.
  4. marsupial jones

I bought this handheld last year and it works great. Doesn’t sweat or tear at my hand and sometimes I even forget I’m carrying the damn thing. Pricier than I ever envisioned for a fucking water bottle, but I e tried other handhelds, bottle belts, etc. and this was the only thing I was able to tolerate and not get sick of.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGR3PDX/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Edit: lmao why does that link say absolute punk

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I only carry water if I'm running in 85+. I'm usually running around places where I can stop in and request a water

6. marsupial jones

goddamn.

so when you do this, so you go out planning to try and run a mile around this time? Do you do like a half mile warm up or do you just go right from the get go? And do you continue running afterwards or was the goal to see how fast you could run a mile?

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My plan is always to sprint a mile, record the time, then do a longer run at a much much lighter pace. The area I'm in is super hilly so I break it up.

marsupial jones likes this.
  8. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

It's very hard for me to have a solid 3 months of running without some tendon being aggravated. F%ck. (Peroneal tendon that was a problem for me for about 6 mo early last year) I thought I was being smart about my ramping up and recovery in between. Maybe I was and this is just how it is for me. Maybe I need to do more regular strength work. Maybe I should stick to 1-2 shoes at a time rather than swap between around 8 between road and trails. Who freakin knows. Anyway, haven't ran since July 2nd and haven't biked since the 6th. Took the time to fully rest, stretch, strength, roll out muscles, Epsom salt bath....... KT tape on it now and it's vastly improved.

I took the time off because I leave for Colorado on Thursday for a big hiking, running, adventure trip and I'm making sure I'm healthy enough for that. If anything hiking only will be just fine for me. However It think based on how I feel today I'm going to be good to run some of it. Probably going to put in 60+ miles over 8 days. Crested Butte to Aspen and back. Hiking in Ouray, hiking up Grays and Torrey's Peak(both 14,000ft+), hiking in Colorado Springs. Those are the plans.

I beyond stoked for this trip. I've never been in the mountains like that and I revere it like being in heaven. Bought a GoPro 8 to capture some of it.

9. bobby_runs

Anyone else use a GPS watch? I'm coming up on 6 years with my Garming Forerunner 220 and the band is peeling from itself again. Trying to decide if I want to spend another $30 on replacement bands or start saving up for a new watch. It works fine except taking a while longer to sync up with the satellites.

Anyone have a newer Garmin or another watch they wear?

10. Supernova

I've had a Garmin Forerunner 935 for 3 years and I love it. Now they have the updated 945. That's a couple steps up from the 220 but an amazing activity watch.

I've been itching a little bit recently to go back to an Apple Watch but only for day to day use and shorter runs/rides. I miss a lot of the features the Apple Watch did as far as lifestyle features go and being able to respond to messages/calls from the watch. If I was going on a longer trail run or a race of any kind I would swap to the Garmin. IDK just noodling that around in my head. Now I read that the baseline Apple heath app can upload to Strava. Since I don't use the Garmin Connect app as my primary source of activity tracking(I use Strava for that), I think I can make both watches work.

11. bobby_runs

I thought about getting an Apple watch since it does everything but it looks like they won't be getting to a point I'd like as a running watch in the near future.

Supernova likes this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i have a garmin vivoactive 3 and its absolutely awful. trash battery life from the start. records 4k elevation gain on a flat 3 mile run. HR data is wildly inaccurate. really regretting not getting the warranty.

on a lighter note, just signed up for a half marathon that comes down the utah canyons on august 1st. should be interesting.

Supernova likes this.
  13. Supernova

I have 3 buddies with this watch and all 3 have the same elevation issues. IDK why this isn't something Garmin has fixed by now. On Strava at least you can go in and adjust your elevation when you edit your activity now.

14. bedwettingcosmo

just noticed that the other day. thank god. was tired of logging 20 mile bike rides with 37k feet elevation gain.

15. marsupial jones

Supposed to be near 90 by 10 am tomorrow and I’m going to try and run an unofficial half marathon in it. Don’t care at all about time or pace, I just love the sunshine and need to get better at dealing with heat. I’ll be playing it safe with lots of water with me and circling back to get more, but it should be quite the challenge (for me at least). On top of the heat I feel like I haven’t run over 7 miles in one run in way too long so I’m excited to get to double digits again.

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe out there!

I thought I’d share this...Tommy (Rivs) Puzey is a well known professional Marathoner, Ultra Runner, Endurance Athlete. He’s been in the ICU, is currently on a ventilator, and is not doing well. It hasn’t been confirmed Covid-19, but it sounds like it. Tommy shared a video update on his IG a few days ago talking about it all, but his brother, Jacob, shared a not so good update yesterday.

Tommy’s post:

Jacob’s Update:

This is incredibly sad and I hope he pulls through.

17. bedwettingcosmo

holy shit i followed tommy way back in the day. hope he pulls through! this is awful!

18. bobby_runs

Update is that as I was consolidating all the crap I have I came across an extra wrist strap for the side that is falling apart. i guess I can maybe get another year out of this thing. Woo!

19. marsupial jones

Total first world problem and millions of others have it much worse than I do but it still sucks that in a normal world scenario I would be buzzing and super excited to be in San Fran right now getting ready to run a marathon tomorrow. Instead it’s just another “new normal” kind of day. At least the weather is great here!

bobby_runs likes this.
  20. bedwettingcosmo

they are actually doing races where i live. i'm doing a half down a utah canyon on august 1st. i haven't ran more than 5 miles in months lol, fuck me.

21. Supernova

Good luck with that! The importance of the long run or lack thereof might rear its head. Or maybe it won’t. I haven’t ran all that much in a month but I have a 10 miler on the 1st as well. Hoping my running and hiking at high altitude this past week will help a lot. I did 72 miles with 18,000 feet of climbing in 7 days and I feel great which is the best part.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  22. bedwettingcosmo

yeah im gonna hurt at the end for sure. i've been hiking the past few weeks at 7-8k elevation which i hope helps. the first 8-9 miles are all down the canyon so hopefully that helps. i'll probably try to keep it moderate and hope i dont die.

23. Garrett

Just tied my longest run ever at 9 miles. Is it normal to want to immediately remove my legs from my body?

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  24. bedwettingcosmo

i'm 100% feeling this. i just did my first half marathon since last november. can barely walk and somehow kinked my neck lol. got a 1:32 and 8th in my age division. not my best but definitely feels good for the training i've been doing.

Supernova and Garrett like this.
  25. marsupial jones

After longer runs I usually don’t have an issue with my legs but more so I want to remove every article of clothing ASAP, lay in a cold pool and instantly inhale every possible piece of food on the planet lol

Supernova likes this.