Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 66

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I've taken to running stairwells in my apartment. Was gasping for air the first time I got back to it. Lock down locked down my cardio haha.

2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

that timing (5 every four) is interesting.

I was debating changing mine to 2 miles an hour so at least I would be done in 13 hours which is more doable to stay awake. Not sure though yet and may try it with only a half first so I don’t risk injury. I kind of feel like now is the time to take risks or try new things since all of my races for 2020 are cancelled / postponed. Would still suck to be hurt of course and not running but at least I wouldn’t be missing an actual event I paid for. Idk.

Supernova likes this.
  3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I'm with you on the time to take some risks. I was about to have a bigger training week last week and gear up for maybe a solid 1 hour time trial or something.... but then I possible broke my toe in my kitchen acting like a chicken... or a velociraptor..... with a face mask on. I ran the very next day(a week ago) and after the run I said oh no there may be a problem, so I kept it stable and safe. Then I ran again last night and this morning. I'm still thinking it may have been just a bad bruise or jam. Because I can bend it and it doesn't hurt its just tender. Prob wont go to the doc.

YAY!

4. marsupial jones

lmao do you not remember which you were acting as? and because i live alone i'm envisioning a man in his 30's by himself walking around a kitchen like a velociraptor (or a chicken) :crylaugh:

5. Supernova

If you’re curious, and also I’m a bit self deprecating right now: My wife was filming me because I was being a bit goofy at the time. Also she put it on Tic-Tok.

(IDK how this shows up for you. Google Drive upload. Maybe click the top right box at the top of the video to go to it. Sound on** )

Garrett likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

chewbacca110 likes this.
  7. marsupial jones

I’ve never used Strava personally but it always sucks when things move behind a monthly subscription - especially when they used to be free. Sucks for all users. Hopefully subscriptions don’t jump like they hope and they go back to the way it was.

8. Supernova

I've been a paid user before, but have been a free user for the majority(years). There's not much changed now than pre-paywall. Only thing I can see that will be annoying for me is if I want to look at a segment I've done previously and I was not in the top 10 times I don't think I can see it. It's still going to be a really great social/training app. If you really want to dig in and use it as a training tool, then the $59/year or $7.99/month would probably be a great value add and worth you money for a solid app that is here for the long haul.

sean_rugy likes this.
  9. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

TBH I don't think I ever used those now paywall features. Mostly used it to keep everything logged. I use my Garmin Forerunner 220 to track my runs anyways. But that thing is 6 years old and sometimes can take 20 minutes to get connected to satellite.

10. marsupial jones

i started running in August 2019, and while there were certainly warm days in August and September, i was never running in the heart of summer. the last five days have all been very sunny and 80+ degrees and it has really been like learning to run all over again in this heat.

i know, i know - other states get hotter and it'll get even hotter than 80. i'm not saying anything new here, just saying that even after almost a year of consistently running and running a marathon, nothing can actually prepare you / replicate for running in heat!

11. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

So the race I was supposed to participate in last month has gone missing from the internet. The company that runs the event no longer lists it online and only mentions it as a past virtual race for 2020. Very shady stuff going on in regards to this. Initially they said everyone would get their "swag bag" by this time of May but nothing. There was a letter explaining some of the headaches with logistics for this particular race but that was it. It really sucks because it wasn't even a race I paid for. My sister gave it to me as a gift.

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My half just got rescheduled for November. Now debating if I should just make it the full...

13. marsupial jones

Do ittttt

14. marsupial jones

Goddamn, Boston got outright cancelled. First time ever. Fuck.

15. Garrett

16. marsupial jones

depending how popular the race is, I feel like most can easily switch people from half to full or vice versa.

the biggest thing in consistently increasing your largest training weeks for the half. And preferably, try to get a 18-20 mile run in somewhere along the way (honestly try to do that within the next 2-3 months if you can, once you do that, the idea of running 26.2 will seem much more manageable)

17. Garrett

I put together a calendar with a running plan. There are both an 18 and a 20 mile run in there in...mid October, maybe?

18. Garrett

Noobie runner question for sure, but also half-awkward—best underwear for running? The bouncing is getting unpleasant. I also kinda hate overly long compression.

19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I wear running shorts that have the undercarriage included. Right amount of comfortable compression and breath ability.

Garrett likes this.
  20. Garrett

I've got a pair of these but they made me chafe real bad the first time I wore them. Hopefully I can try them again here now that I've got a chafe stick and it will solve both problems. I've really gotta get some weight off.

21. Supernova

Most times of the year I just wear shorts with built in underwear, but cold runs I put on another layer under that. I have one pair of Janji shorts that I LOVE but they started rubbing my thigh; so I put on lube in that area and it's ok now.

New Balance Men's Premium Performance 3" Trunk 2-Pk B/S

These New Balance ones are a nice short 3" inseam.

Kinetic HD

These Saxx ones have a ballpark pouch to keep things in place. I wore a single pair of these for close to two years for several times a week on runs and they are still in great shape.

chewbacca110 and Garrett like this.
  22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I feel ya on the chafe, thanks to quarantine weight - but it’s my inner thighs, not sensitive bits (luckily!). Body Glide is your friend: Shop - Body Glide

Garrett likes this.
  23. Garrett

I picked up a generic brand of this at Walmart yesterday, but now that I see they're the same price may have to go real deal once this one wears out.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I overworked myself pretty bad. Runner's knee got pretty bad for a while. I've had clicking in my knee for the last two or three weeks. I've been slowly trying to rehab back into running, but I'm worried it'll get worse. Mehhh.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Following my last post is kinda silly

Ran a 5:23 mile this morning. Fastest I've run it in about 7 years.

Supernova likes this.