Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 65

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

pissing blood is typically a "go directly to the emergency room" thing @marsupial jones

GrantCloud and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

sigh, ugh.

ironically enough I did just google “blood in urine” and one of the top “answers” says, “strenuous exercise can allow blood to leak into the urine and these problems can resolve themselves on their own in time” - something that’s not cancer/death! Amazing!

I might call my doctors office (of course it’s Saturday) and see what they say.

Garrett L. likes this.
  3. Garrett

I took a soccer ball directly to the unit at approx. 40 mph in college so I'm sadly aware of the "find blood, GO" advice.

4. marsupial jones

jeeeeeeeeeesus. I cringe at the speed of that (and then memories flood back from elementary school and numerous times getting kicked there by friendly female classmates, slipping while walking across downed trees/beams but never at THAT speed).

hoping that because it didn’t last long that that’s a good sign.

also don’t wanna call and tie up phone lines with all the covid stuff going on. Hopefully it was a one-time deal.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. Garrett

let's just say, i was subbed out until halftime to recover. thankfully, just some bruising/no blood. but i crumbled like a wet noodle (and as it had been a goal line block, they promptly scored on the rebound, sigh) and it took a few minutes to move.

6. marsupial jones

i believe I’ve only blacked out once in my life and it was while crossing a stream on a downed tree in sixth grade. I remember slowly going across it and then the next thing was me left my face off the bark with a leg on each side of the tree (like a hugging motion with my legs) and the people I was with had no idea as I was last to cross and they were now like a mile away from where I last saw them lol.

It was the strangest thing. I’ve been hit in the skull by flying objects, or my skull has been the flying object coming into contact with something that doesn’t prefer to move, and never had that happen, but I guess I must’ve fallen just right.

7. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I've been super curious to try out Sketchers running shoes with the "Hyperburst" midsole material from a lot of the hype I hear about their running specific shoes. Running Warehouse has the Razor 3 Hyper on sale right now for $108 and I can get 10% off. I was going to hold off though. They are a faster race day/tempo shoe akin to the Saucony Kinvara from what I read; but more cushion and "pop". I HAVE a good pair of Kinvara 9's that are in good shape BUT.... I found the Sketchers here:

Skechers Skechers GOrun Razor 3 Hyper in Orange Red - Skechers Mens Athletic on Shoeline.com

With a code they had on the site I got them for $51 shipped. I hope the site is legit haha. Seems ok. Just ordered them so we'll see when I get them how they feel. FYI they also have one of Sketchers max cushion on a dumb sale, but I don't see myself running long on the roads anytime soon. Most of my miles, especially longer efforts, are off road.

I also ordered a pair of Xero shoes(minimal style) trail sandals the other day for everyday wear. Covid got me spending money.

On another topic, we don't have really ANY long flat dirt roads to run on down here in my area of Alabama. If its a dirt road you better believe its moderate to steep rolling hills with MAYBE 1/4 mile of flat in between. Granted I love to climb, but a lot of my regular runs I'm not looking for steep and I want to avoid the road when I can. I found some great service/logging roads yesterday connected to a normal dirt road I run from time to time. It's nice and flat and I can chain them up for some good mileage. Would have to repeat if I want to hit double digits. Its nice and open since all the trees are logged with some good views of the local mountains. Excited to run there more. Bad part it's 30 mins from the house. If I leave from work its only 18 mins from there.

8. marsupial jones

Learned this morning that I can wake up, eat a bowl of Frosted Flakes and two Reese’s eggs and go for a run with no issues lol.

Sometimes I get too in my head about my routine or what I “need” to do before a run, which is odd because after 100+ runs you would think I’d know by now what I’m capable of even with a less than stellar meal in me.

Supernova likes this.
  9. Supernova

Unless you're a pro athlete competing to win podiums at whatever race distance(and maybe not then), food shouldn't be a science project and an added stresser.

10. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Never commented in this thread!

I have recently started running, and don't go any farther than 5k usually, but I've been developing blisters on the inside of my right foot. I'm well aware it could be my form, I have pretty good Brooks shoes that are comfortable. I read that socks make a huge difference, does anyone have recs that could possibly help?

Also, has anyone had any luck on Amazon with cheap running shorts or dri fit t shirts?

11. Supernova

For blister prevention I use Squirrels Nut Butter salve.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR34M91/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Good socks for me are more critical as I only use the salve on longer runs. Injinji brand are awesome toe socks so your toes won't be rubbing skin on skin inside the socks. Otherwise if I use "normal" socks I go for either Swiftwick or Drymax brand(lean more toward Swiftwick). Tight fitting and don't move around with any friction inside your shoe. But those are the brands I've gravitated toward; of course there are others that are great.

Injinji Run Original Mini-Crew Toesocks
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK8CGIG/?tag=absolutepunk-20

I like shopping Running Warehouse for most things running related. Sometimes you can find better deals on Amazon, but RW is where I start 98% of the time. 90 day returns and free shipping/no-tax. Its easy to filter by clearance other preferences with ease.

Men's Short Sleeve Running Shirts

Awesome that you recently started. We've all been there. Do you track your runs with an app?

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  12. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Thanks so much! I have an Apple Watch, so mostly using that. I'm pretty slow. For reference, I'm male, about 6'2, and for the last 5-6 years I've been in the 220-225 range, but recently I've gotten down to close to 200. Mainly watching what I eat and doing a lot of cardio, mostly on a crappy elliptical I bought on Amazon. Got a gym membership right before quarantine started. I'm probably running at only an 11 minute mile pace, but most of the time I'm interval running with some walking, so I'm not exactly sure. I got the Brooks shoes a while back when I got fitted for running, they are the Adrenaline series, and I really like them.

Supernova likes this.
  13. marsupial jones

I remember I got my first, and to date only, blister on my left foot after a run with my first official pair of fancy socks from a specialty store. Found that humorous.

now, I’m sure it started well before that day because I don’t assume blisters can form, fill and pop all in one 10 mile run, but I found it comical that I felt it on just that one run and it also popped on that run (an oddly satisfying if not kind of gross feeling)

14. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

Supernova likes this.
  15. Supernova

Awesome to hear! I got started on a whim late Summer 2016 just to do something different other than play videogames from my recollection. Now it's a huge part of life. Most of my runs are easy paced and I'm doing 16-20 miles per week. I sprinkle in some strides to work on form and leg speed. Right now running just 4 days a week with some cross training on an off day and 2 full rest days. I'm building slowly back up to higher mileage but theres no rush. (Ellipticals are ok for a short time for me but man the front of my feet tend to get tingly. 30-40 mins max at a time for me on them.)

(yes join Strava - I think you would have to download the Strava Apple Watch app to use it though. Not sure if you can import activities from AW app to Strava. )

16. bedwettingcosmo

this pandemic got my running game strong

17. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

it has done the complete opposite for me unfortunately

Garrett likes this.
  18. marsupial jones

Officially 3 months until the San Francisco marathon. Holding out hope that it won’t be cancelled but expecting it will be.

19. bedwettingcosmo

its definitely gonna be canceled, sorry.

20. marsupial jones

you were right (kinda). Not canceled, but rescheduled to November 15th - if that even holds.

now to figure out if I can attend the new dates and/or if my flights can be rescheduled or if I’m out 500ish bucks (bought the tickets with no refund option waaay back in December before this all started so I’m assuming out that money which sucks, but oh well if that’s the case)

21. bedwettingcosmo

sorry yo that sucks. can't wait to be running together next year.

22. MikeERayner

Trusted

I’ve used this time to get back into my running. 2 months in and I’m back to 12km (7.5mi).
    There’s normally a half marathon here (Sydney) in a few weeks which has been moved to Nov, a 14km in Aug which is now in Oct and the running festival (5k, 10k, half and full) in Sept which hasn’t been rescheduled as yet. Wondering if that’ll go ahead as planned.

23. marsupial jones

Next weekend I’m going to try something I saw on a YouTube video a few months ago - run one mile an hour every hour for 26 hours. So basically running a marathon distance over 26(.2) miles.

I don’t want to underestimate it, but it seems quite doable. You figure 10 minutes a mile at most, then you have 50 minutes to do whatever you want until the next mile. My biggest curiosity is getting in any car naps once mile 20ish hits.

another curiosity is just how my body and legs respond over time. I’ve done a few “double runs” where I ran 7-8 miles in the morning and then ran another 7-8 three hours later but only doing one mile every hour seems... nice?

I’m also curious to see how my body responds four days later, six days later, 15 days later - if it’s the same recovery as a regular marathon, or easier or worse.

Supernova likes this.
  24. Garrett

I'm interested if only because there's also quite the stretch in there where you should be sleeping for eight hours but you've having to run throughout the night.

25. Supernova

A ton of my running group friends and thousands of others did a 24hr challenge(Yeti 24hr Ultra challenge) where you run 5 miles every 4 hours for 24hrs. So you would get 30 miles once its done. I wanted to do it, but I was and still am pulling 18-20 miles a week currently(but building) so I wasn't going to make that leap and risk injury. 1 mile every hours sound sucky haha. I would hate only getting those cat naps if I attempted and I'm sure I would.