Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 62

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I've got a great Garmin Forerunner 935 that services me well. Honestly it's never lost a run for the 2 years and a few months I've had it. Battery is not quite what it use to be but it's still great and lightweight. However, I have the opportunity to get a new Fenix 6 Pro for 45% through work and I miiiiight do it. I'm scared I may not like the weight gain moving to that watch, but I kinda want to upgrade.... want not need..... hmmmmm.........

2. Supernova Dec 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2019)
    Supernova

Had some brief "runners knee" creep up back in February. Having the same thing pop up over this past week. Nothing painful, just something that is there. Looking back at my training log(Strava), it looks like I just stuck with the elliptical, some swimming, and very light running along with a couple strength sessions(and icing a lot). I've backed off my strength training as I've been working a lot and spare time is spent running, resting, or house chores. Could have squeezed it in somewhere.....

Hopefully if I jump back to a regime of what did before plus more strength, i'll be good to go. I'm very anxious about my 50 in March being too under-trained. I'm basically building to a 50k in training when it's actually a 50m. I'm not to a point of backing out yet, but it's on my mind. I don't want to be stressed about needing to train more when the time is just not there and I end up injured. Or I could just go in and get it done. Too early to tell yet.

(Sorry, if I've already harped on this like 4 times here already........ vent mode is real)

3. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

how is your training going?

my basic point of view is that if you’re not enjoying your training or worrying about an upcoming event too much I’d pass on doing the event. I would never want running or training to feel like work or an obligation and it seems like you might be having moments of that?

in other news for me I’ve decided that I’m going to head into 2020 the best way I can think of - while running! I figure a nice run from 11:30-12:30 am is a great way to kick off the new year.

4. Supernova

On the contrary. Over training syndrome or motivation isn't the issue. Champing at the bit to go out for more. With my knee bothering me and work being hot garbage as far as scheduling goes, taking a couple weeks mostly off was needed. I ran 3 miles the other day on some soft grass around a soccer field and things felt good. Going to keep things light and easy(and only on the trails) while still doing these strength exercisers and see how it goes. However yeah I think i'm going to bow out of the 50 miler. My training's just not where it needs to be for a 50. Could I complete it? Totally; but I think its wiser to put the 50 off til later in the year when I have some more constant mileage weeks under my belt. In place of that I signed up for a 3 day stage race a month after the 50. 13 miles, 16miles, 14 miles Fri, Sat, Sun. Camping with friends and running 3 days in a row is going to be fun.

I ran into the new year 17-18 and it was a neat thing to do. I would do the same tonight but I work at 7am tomorrow and want the sleep more.

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Officially signed up for the 5K, 10K, half, and marathon for next year. 2nd 5K, first of everything else.

5Stories likes this.
  6. 5Stories

Regular

I did two New Years Day 5ks this morning - 20.49 for the first and then 20.33 for the second (flatter course). Really happy with that as I haven't been under 21 since July, and the 20.49 was at an event I've done about 55 times and a big PB.

What a great way to start the new year. I have a 10k coming up in a couple weeks which I'm sure I'll PB and then a marathon in May. I've signed up again to the local athletics track which is really helping my speed. I've been doing lots of intervals, mainly at 800m and 1k.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

for new years i was gonna do an 8 miler (i usually average 4-5 per run) but it was blizzarding so bad that i ended at 7. straight up couldn't find the sidewalk for most of my run but it was beautiful.

sean_rugy likes this.
  8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

sean_rugy likes this.
  9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

will absolutely sign up for this

KidLightning likes this.
  10. 5Stories

Regular

New 5k PB of 19.35 this morning and first time under 20 mins. Lots of interval training is having huge results. Sub 20 feels like a big milestone!

11. Supernova

Incredible man! I want to get there one day as well. It is a huge milestone!

5Stories likes this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

nice work!

5Stories likes this.
  13. marsupial jones

Today’s run on the NordicTrack totally summed up why I got this thing. Wednesdays are usually hill work for me and I was able to recreate 1,300 feet of elevation in 4 miles by running Big Cottonwood Canyon in Utah. And Friday I’m running the Golden Gate Bridge (to prepare for the San Francisco marathon) and that’s another 900 feet of elevation. My legs are burning (in a good way) and I feel like I’m going to be so much better prepared for my next marathons because of this machine. Love it. Very happy I made the plunge.

5Stories likes this.
  14. bedwettingcosmo

honestly, get out to big cottonwood or little cottonwood if you ever get a chance. one of the most beautiful places in the world

5Stories likes this.
  15. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

is that a normal route for you?! I’m over dodging cars through warehouse sections in Brooklyn haha

GrantCloud and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  16. marsupial jones

lucky bastard!

i will definitely be running a marathon in Utah at some point in time in the future. hardest part about deciding which one to choose is definitely gonna be the scenery along the way!

no kidding. the best i get is an empty country road lol. the worst is typical busy streets with bad roads or sidewalks and heavy traffic aside from one 2-mile stretch of lakefront.

sean_rugy and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  17. bedwettingcosmo

theres a trail run series they do here during the summer where you run a bunch of different trails every other week. its legit. i mostly do road though!

sean_rugy likes this.
  18. Garrett

what’s your favorite trick for getting your mind focused? my run today was brutal mentally.

19. marsupial jones

i usually try to simply look at those experiences as good things / learning experiences.

not every run is gonna be good. and what happens if all your runs are good or in the right frame of mind and then marathon day it isn't? that's how i try to think of shitty run or shitty headspaces during runs. this is also why i like to try and run is shitty weather at least once a week or so because who knows what the weather will be like for a marathon / race. i try to think of it like, "if i train in the worst and then race day isn't worst, i'm already gonna be better off and do better".

Garrett L. likes this.
  20. Garrett

for sure. i woke up in a weird rhythm of sleep anyway and it snowballed from there.

my legs are starting to get mad at me but the training still gets me up and out of bed. that’s something I didn’t expect. I expected more battle.

21. marsupial jones

how many cross-training and rest days are you having per week? are you incorporating any hill / speed work days into your running?

biggest struggle i always have is, "is my body mad because i'm pushing it just enough over the threshold or am i about to cause an injury and should back off?". ironically enough i feel the best i've felt in about 6 weeks even though my legs are the sorest they've been in 6 weeks. apparently i like being somewhat beat up and sore vs feeling fine.

22. Garrett

mon: run
    Tues: XT
    wed: rest
    Thurs: run
    Fri: rest
    Sat: long run
    Sun: rest/XT (further into the program)

every run is hill work. My house is at the top of a hill haha

23. marsupial jones

i always like seeing different people's plans because there are a thousand ways to train for a marathon. the only thing i find truly curious about your plan / schedule is that you don't run on back to back days. i feel there is something to be gained by running 2-3 days in a row. maybe not doing that every week, but i would certainly recommend you give it a try at some point. there's a lot to be gained by running on tired / sore legs - even just for a few miles.

my plan for the April 11th marathon is:

SUN - rest
    MON - RUN
    TUE - cross-training
    WED - RUN (HILLS)
    THU - RUN (SPEED)
    FRI - cross-training or rest
    SAT - long run (very slow, 11-12 minute miles)

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Garrett

this is my training for my half. I’m switching programs for the full:

Sun: medium run
    Mon: rest
    Tues: run
    Wed: XT
    Thur: run
    Fri: rest
    Sat: long run

marsupial jones likes this.
  25. Supernova

Did 9.5m on the trails last night and my knee felt perfect. Was only going out for 5-6m but kept going with my buds cause I was feelin it. Such a liberating run. Some smart rest(among other rehab things) and physical therapy exercises seems to have paid off. Time will tell.

(Several shorter runs before this one we’re good too)

Going to probably run without a plan for a bit to work on some speed and strength. I’ve got some personal life things happening that may keep me from running big distances right now so shorter will be ok for me. Will give me time to speed up until when I hopefully start building mileage for my June 50k.

5Stories likes this.