Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 58

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Is it still with Nike? Because they’ve been trying a few times now. That’s how we got that 4% shoe or whatever. It’s essentially to show that science can get us there.

2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

no idea. It would make sense though. That shoe is also expensive lol.

3. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

20-mile run tomorrow in what is expected to be a high of 45 degrees. I know the old adage “dress as if it’s 20 degrees warmer than it is” but that’s gonna be hard to do based on what it is right now lol

I’m planning on wearing: taller socks, shorts, short sleeve shirt, thin long sleeve pull over, gloves, hat.

Debating wearing tights / leg base layer but I heat up so fast in them and I don’t want to be stuck with them for 20 miles.

Should be fun!

AlwaysEvolving21 and Supernova like this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

SO MUCH SCIENCE going on in this 1:59 attempt. The backwards flying V, the climate, the shoes, the hydration/nutrition weighing. SO MUCH SCIENCE.

sean_rugy and bobby_runs like this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Shirt, Shorts, above the ankle socks, gloves and a hat! My 100k race started at 39 degrees and I wanted to die. Then it got up to 84ish degrees and I wanted to die again lol.

marsupial jones likes this.
  6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Eliud Kipchoge!!!! 26.2 miles in 1:59:40!!!!!!

7. marsupial jones

Haha I may follow this advice exactly. My goal is to aim for 9 minutes a mile on this run (last long run before tapering begins so might as well do an estimated marathon-ish pace) so I imagine I’ll be pretty well heated before I know it.

I’ll start with an extra top layer than I can lose as I believe my route will have me circling back to my car for water 2-3 times.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

have fun!

9. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

There are a few terrible hot takes from some of running’s elite and pros on Twitter about Kipoge’s effort. Just negativity, cynicism, a bit of discrediting, ect...... “well Kipoge’s fastest 26.2 without carbon plated shoes is only 2:04.”

Good Lord.

10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it’s awful. But luckily I haven't seen too much of it going on. It’s like....ok....you go try it then lol. The dude still ran 26.2 miles and held a 4:34 mile pace.

bobby_runs and marsupial jones like this.
  11. marsupial jones

Ugh, that sucks.

Saddest part is that I knew (I’m sure we all did) that there would be a handful of people who would complain / criticize what he accomplished because that’s just the world we live in (well, have always lived in, it’s just easier to hear those obnoxious voices in a world with social media) but to hear negativity from elites is definitely worse than from Susie-Q who no one has heard of.

Good news is that I’m sure (I hope) that he doesn’t give a shit about the negativity.

12. marsupial jones

This is why anyone who completes a marathon in ANY time should be applauded. 26.2 miles is still 26.2 fucking miles, no matter how fast you get it done. It’s not less distance if you go 15 minutes a mile lol and most of the world probably hasn’t run 26.2 miles in their entire lives let alone in one afternoon.

13. marsupial jones Oct 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 12, 2019)
    marsupial jones

Triple post.

My run today was 14 miles, not 20. I misread my training plan lol.

I was able to do the 14 miles in just under 2 hours for a 8:14 pace. I was aiming for 9 minutes a mile (what I would love my marathon pace to be) but am a terrible estimator for time and how fast I’m going even when my phone/app chirps and tells me after each mile lol

For some reason I really want to finish my first marathon in under 4 hours, but part of me also just wants to enjoy the full run and not worry about the time. Idk why I feel like I need to reach a certain time, maybe that’s just what happens to all of us at some point in time?

My original, very dumb plan, was to simply drive home after my marathon (2-3 hours from where I live) but I’m definitely gonna book another night at the hotel so I have some place to shower, eat, rest/relax/nap. Even if I drive home around 5ish, at least I have some place to go after the race lol. Right now I’d just have to get in my car and drive home or somewhere which like, wtf what a stupid plan lol.

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

If you're running 8:14 for 14 miles, you should definitely be able to break 4 hours! There's gonna be so much adrenaline too! 4 hours is like 9:08-9:10 pace.

15. marsupial jones

i hope so!

by the way, i forgot to add that yesterday was my first run with that Nathan handheld water flask you mentioned. worked great! there were times when it was full, and with a snack in the pocket, that i forgot i was even holding it. really my only complaint is that getting things out of the pocket is a little difficult to do while in motion, but i guess i'd rather have that than a pocket that spills things.

16. marsupial jones

excited to watch the Chicago Marathon this morning (NBCSN in case anyone has it but didn't know)

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Awesome! Yeah, every now and then it'll take a bit to get gels out so I'll deflate it some and that helps. My other handhelds are the exact opposite and pockets hardly hold anything at all haha. The fact that I've never gotten hand fatigue from it is huge for me too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My friend raced today and broke 3 hours. Ran a 2:54! He's been training his ass off for it too. Inspiration!

marsupial jones likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My wife just bought her first pair of Hoka One One shoes. I hope she loves them because I switched over to Hoka a year ago and loved them.

She's running her first half marathon in January too! Can't wait to watch her!

Supernova likes this.
  20. marsupial jones

Holy shit that’s awesome / incredible!

I found out a few days ago that an old childhood friend (who I haven’t seen since high school and we really haven’t been “friends” since middle school) also runs and ran the Minnesota marathon in 3:15 and it... kinda pissed me off to learn that lol. I have no idea how long he’s been running but I know I’m not gonna be running a 3:15 at Madison and overall it just kind of irks me that someone I / my family know runs because I kind of wanted it to be “my” thing where I didn’t have to worry about competition (real or imaginary).

In time this feeling will fade but I was not exactly thrilled to learn this lol

As they say “comparison is the thief of joy”.

AlwaysEvolving21 and Supernova like this.
  21. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

That’s a wild, dumb feeling to have but it’s totally honest and I feel that. Like manufactured jealousy out of thin air. Minds are stupid sometimes.

(I’m eye balling a pair of Hoka Rincon or Clifton 6 for my next road shoe for longer, slower pace days. I know Clifton is going to be better for that, but the Rincon has a lot of hype. Need to try them on )

22. marsupial jones

Any ideas why the top of one of my feet hurts to the touch? If looking at a foot sideways it’s the top of the “crest” or whatever it’s technically called. And not all the way across, just a spot about the size of a nickel.

Not sure if I’m tying my regular shoes (and running shoes) too tight? I do notice that the spot is right where the laces tie, but not sure why there isn’t pain across the entire top of my foot and why it’s only on the right foot.

Luckily it doesn’t interfere with my running but it is annoying.

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I think that’s a pretty natural feeling. It’s almost like when you discover/listen to a band you want to think is all yours. Then you realize others have a connection to it too and it’s like...”get the fuck outta here! They’re all mine!” Haha.

I get the same way. To me, it just means I’m more competitive than I let on. Just remain humble, stay disciplined, and enjoy the process. I think you’ll surprise yourself.

24. AlwaysEvolving21 Oct 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 14, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I have the Clifton 6’s and I’m enjoying them. I’ve only done a couple speed workouts in them and they did the job, but I think the rincons would be better for that stuff. Only downfall for the Rincons is I’ve heard they don’t last long. Clifton 6’s have 170 miles on them and they’re holding up nicely. The upper is very comfortable on them.

I just ordered a pair of Clifton One’s and I’m excited to finally try these things out. I’m going to use them for faster days and any road races. The 6’s will be my slower days.

I have a pair of Challenger ATR 5’s for trails with 250ish miles on them and they’ve blown me away. I didn’t think I’d like them, but they just keep getting more comfortable and they’re incredibly durable. Just ran my 100k in them. They perfect for the terrain I run. I’m definitely getting another pair at some point.

25. terps12

Regular

I don't think this is a dumb plan at all. I've driven myself home 3-4 hours in most of my distance endeavors that day, the exception being my Ironman from a few weeks ago. I generally find it harder to do the next day travel as that is when your muscles are the sorest. Depending on the situation with your hotel room, you can plan to not stay there another night and then if you feel terrible after, keep that option in your back pocket. The good news is a marathon will generally wrap up at a reasonable time during the day where you can sorta play it by ear.

Which marathon are you doing? I'm doing Brooklyn next week although in looking at the course map, I'm not excited for the 3 mile loop repeated 4x.