Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 57

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

yeah getting gain can be difficult but hill repeats and using a treadmill that allows you to increase the grade can help a lot. I tomorrow off from work. It’ll probably take me a few days to recover. My whole body is sore haha. Make sure you have some good socks and shoes that fit properly or you lose some toenails!

2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I have a couple black toenails (or I should clarify - blood under the toenails as we Runner’s know) after 250ish miles since starting my marathon training plan. Even with the proper shoes and shocks so I just assume it happens once you hit certain mileage and constant runs.

I did an 18-miler today, so imagining doing that two more times (and a bit more) to get to what you did is just crazy to imagine - and with all that elevation! Jeez.

Again, major kudos. Enjoy your rest.
    Think you’ll do another ultra at some point or was it a “one and done” to see what it was like?

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Big congrats. Way to gut that shit out. Ultra long distance running for the win!

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The long runs were key for me! I definitely had the same mindset on my runs. The whole “shit I that sucked and gotta run like three times longer than that” haha. This is my second ultra and I have the urge to do more, for sure. I’m looking to try some new things out for training.

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Thanks! Worst I’ve ever felt while running. Lol

6. terps12

Regular

Thank you! It can be daunting, but I actually found the structure and commitment relatively cathartic. Being able to set up my bike on a trainer in the garage (with a tv) was key for maintaining sanity. Easy enough to throw a baseball game or some Netflix on and crank out a 2hr ride without worrying about cars and daylight.

The time commitment is in the ballpark of 8-12hrs a week for 4 months, 12-20hrs for 2 months, and then down to 8-12 for a month if you're interested.

7. marsupial jones

@AlwaysEvolving21 how did your wife feel being the only person for your crew? Did she feel like she handled it all or would she recommend another person next time to help her? Was she your crew on your last ultra?

Reason I ask is that I’ll have to ask a select group of friends way in advance if any of them are available to crew for me so I’m curious if one would do the trick or if I’ll need 2 or 3 (mostly because they will have never done this before so splits up any pressure they feel to do it all and idk how bored crews get in between the stops so if I have 2-3 they can entertain each other and have fun to pass the time)

8. AlwaysEvolving21 Oct 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 7, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

She definitely had a long day, but it wasn’t because she was crewing me. She had both of our dogs with her, which made it somewhat of a challenge. We couldn’t find anyone to watch them for a couple days. She did great though.

I basically planned out time of day estimates I would be reaching aid stations. She had prepared my nutrition and hydration flasks to swap out right when I got in. She also had my small box of things I may eventually need (sunscreen, chafing balm, ibeuprofen, etc). She was able to maintain my needs and identify if I needed anything. I used the aid station crew if I wanted any other food, drink, or ice. She crewed me before so she knew what she was doing. Planning out the aid station ETAs and making note of what I might need at specific stops really helped her, as it would for multiple crew. Only real challenge for her was finding a couple aid stations because there was practically zero service in the mountains. I recommend preparation for god locations just in case.

Edit: So, I’d say one can definitely do the trick, but obviously having a group there to support you and cheer you on just adds to the experience for you and for those who’ve never witnessed or experienced an ultra before.

marsupial jones likes this.
  9. marsupial jones

Awesome, thanks!

I think I’m going to try and get 2 people to crew so they can have fun while waiting between stops. Sounds like one would work, but for their benefit I’m going to aim for two.

10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The more the better, I say. But even if it’s just one person it’s a great feeling to see their face(s) when you come through. I always looked forward to seeing my wife lol.

11. marsupial jones

I don’t doubt that! I ran into a friend last weekend while on mile 14 of 16 and they were A) stunned that I was running so far and B) just seeing someone I knew and conversing with them for 30 seconds was a blast and uplifting, so I imagine seeing someone at mile 25 or 35 would be a major boost.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hell yeah! What race are you doing?

13. marsupial jones

i'm doing the Hot Cider Hustle Half-Marathon in about 2 weeks, the Madison Marathon on 11/10 and i'm tentatively scheduling the following for 2020:

- Milwaukee Marathon 4/11/20
    - Green Bay or Eau Claire Marathon in May 2020
    - Manitowoc Marathon 6/14/20

and then i'd be looking at the North Face Endurance Challenge 50 Mile Ultra in September 2020

i'm not sure how smart it would be to do 3 marathons in 3 months, but i wouldn't be caring about my times, it would just be about getting in more longer runs and collecting medals along the way lol

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

thats awesome! The marathons will be great long runs! Those 20+ mile long runs make a huge difference. People always talk about back to back long runs, but I never found them very beneficial unless your weekday mileage per week is low. When I did my first 50 mile I ran 50k as my last long run. It was a great training session.

I heard the north face 50 is amazing. I only know people who’ve done it in your area, but they’ve all said great things.

15. marsupial jones

Thanks for the encouragement! Looking forward to each race and each run in general. I’ve really fallen totally into it over the last 3-4 months.

One of the aspects of the training plans that I’m looking at that I really like are that they give you a time frame vs a mile number to hit. So instead of “15 miles on Saturday and 12 on Sunday” it’s “180 minutes on Saturday, 130 on Sunday”. Makes it mentally easier to look at although depending on someone’s speed they may not be getting all the miles they want.

Once I “officially” start the ultra training plan I’m definitely going to stick to the weekday focuses of hills/speed/tempo. I’ve been slacking in those departments so far, especially tempo. I get in the habit of picking up speed but then I like my pace and don’t want to drop back down lol.

Major question I forgot to ask - what type of pack did you use for your ultra? I’ve tried the Salomon Agile 2 Set and I haaaaaaaated it. I was so disappointed. It bounced and jangled terribly no matter how tight I adjusted the traps even at a 9:45 pace. If it didn’t cost so much and wasn’t so easy to return I would have tossed it on the side of the road, so needless to say I’m still looking for a solution.

Supernova likes this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

For races I use these bad boys. I have 4 of them and run with two. I Swap them out when my wife is at the aid stations. They’ll fit my gels and salt tablets. They’re insulated too so they keep my hydration cold! They’re comfortable and i don’t have to worry about a pack bouncing.

Nathan ExoDraw 2 Insulated Deep Water/Vibrant Yellow 18 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGR3PDX/?tag=absolutepunk-20

For long training days I use this pack. It gets the job done for me. Plus it’s not hot or heavy. I don’t have any issues with it bouncing but I do find myself tightening it.

Nathan NS4535 Vaporkrar Hydaration Pack Running Vest with 1.8L Bladder, Steel Grey, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRCHXUY/?tag=absolutepunk-20

I also use this belt if I don’t use my pack. I race with this too and it holds my iPhone XR. It’s probably my favorite piece of gear.

Nathan Running Belt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZNWP1H/?tag=absolutepunk-2

marsupial jones and Supernova like this.
  17. Supernova Oct 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2019)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I really like those bottles. May check those out. Thought about running with two bottles during races but haven’t had a chance to employment yet. Current I use the Salomon Sense 5 vest for any long training run and used it during my 50k. Worked well for me so far. I bought a small, but sometimes I think I should have gotten an x-small considering I usually tighten it down ALL the way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07563GB6N/?tag=absolutepunk-20

I have a Nathan Vaprokrar waistbelt that I really like but sometimes the pockets on the side can be tricky to get into. The back pocket is kind of sucky too. I really like that one you showed. Damn gear envy.......

(your avatar is perfect)

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I heard great things about the Sense vests. I actually had that vaporkrar belt. I didn’t care for it lol. I could only wear it over my shirt and i wasn’t into it lol. The Zipster belt is perfect for me to wear underneath my shirt and it acts as a stomach compression for me, which I love lol. Best $25 spent haha

and thanks! I love Ernest lol

19. marsupial jones

awesome! thanks for the write ups!

i definitely need a bottle like that Nathan handheld one. i may order one or two right now actually. i just got back from a run and i've gotten used to holding a small water bottle but it's that time of the year where a) my hand freezes holding a cold bottle and b) after the first mile or so my hand is fine, but the water isn't cold anymore. also, of course, bottles can get slick. so while dropping $30-$40 for a handheld bottle still irks me a bit, i know it's worthwhile and obviously easier to hold with the strap it comes with vs actually holding the bottle with a grip.

i may also look into that vest, but i think i'm going to wait until i go to REI or some other similar store so i can try one on in person. especially since good ones are $85-$200.

i already have a FlipBelt, which is like the Nathan Running Belt. definitely the best thing i've purchased for running. love that thing.

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

haha i feel you on dropping money on handhelds like that. I was disgusted after I ordered numbers three and four but they should last a long while.

I hear flipbelts are great! Never tried one though.

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This is going to be nuts. Attempting to break 2 hours in the marathon.

sean_rugy likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

that's like just a bit under 5 minutes a mile? good lord.

i feel like running wouldn't even be fun at the point of trying to go that fast lol

and i will definitely be curious what the execution of hydration / fueling is for that. i can barely hold up a cup without spilling all of it at 8 minutes a mile. can't imagine how that works at 5 minutes a mile, unless he's just going to go without or hold water bottle...?

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

apparently he’s going to have a team of elite pacers and people in charge of his nutrition/hydration to make it smooth as possible.

its not a sanctioned race, so if he breaks 2:00 hours it will not count as a world record.

24. marsupial jones

interesting...

i think i'd feel more pressure as a pacer / someone in charge than him lol. like, imagine if you brought the wrong stuff or gave him the wrong thing at the wrong time lol.

i also remember listening to a podcast where someone said they were with the 4 hour 15 minute pacer group but finished in 4 hours 45 minutes. hopefully his elite pacers are a little more exact lol

25. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I understand the reasoning behind this but this it's still wild to me.