Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 55

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MikeERayner

Trusted

Oh dude that’s all so true!

The whole “running is great because there’s no gym fees” is such a myth haha

2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

You never realize how small a city / town is until you start mapping out 7-9 mile runs and realize you basically go from end to end and back again.

Gonna be a real challenge when I get to 15-20 mile runs

3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Heres a good video to get you some ideas on some good shorts:

My favorite pair of shorts I've owned is the Patagonia Strider Pro 5". I really wish they made a 3" version though. I also love my Rabbit Vert's, but I don't think they make those anymore. The FKT line of shorts replaced those. Also the Brooks Sherpa's are top notch as well. All these have ample storage on the back and sides, especially the Patagonias. For shirts anything by Rabbit. Some of material they use is :ok:. The North Face Better Than Naked line of shirts is basically like wearing nothing at all it's so stinkin' thin and light, but functional. Check out RunningWarehouse.com for sure for all that.

Thread stopped giving me notifications, but I'm glad to jump back in here and see all the updates!

Haven't been running at all. Was biking 200 miles per month for a few months then backed off that because it seemed it was aggravating my tendinitis. After a month off of that I went to see a different physical therapist and he has me on some different strength and balance routines. I picked back up swimming twice or so a week and started light biking again. I feel the fitness is "ok" as I haven't been a complete bum; but I totally have to work on my aerobic base again to kinda guage where I'm truly at. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for an honest to God run on Thursday. Going to be focusing on cadence, form, efficiency, and how to run again. Had a lower body massage today to work out some kinks as I felt tight in the calves and glutes that wasn't being worked out good enough by my foam roller and "rolley stick". I'm totally patient and not doing anything crazy anytime soon, but I can't wait to get out and jump into a trail race again.

marsupial jones likes this.
  4. Supernova

Can't agree with you more on all of this. I really love driving to to some of the routes close to my house, but those usually take 20-30 mins 1 way. A lot of times I end up settling for a run from my front door down the icky paved road just because of the convenience.

Food, Jesus....... I'm in Publix 2-3-4 times a week. I always spend more than what I went in for. However, I'm buying good mostly whole, organic foods to fuel my body; so I justify the cost in my head. (I mean, food is your fuel. If you eat junk, you get junk results out of your body). Dishes are an everyday thing for me too. I've let dishes sit for 2 days now and I'm cringing.

Helpful tip: Patagonia's athletic gear, at least some of it, is made with an odor control something that helps a lot. So I just run in it, and hang it up, and wear it 2-3 times. Heck, I do that with a lot of my other brands too. Sometimes I rinse in the sink/tub real quick to get the sweat out then hang it up for the next day. That helps.

This sport is expensive, but still, one of my favorite things about life in general(sport itself and the community around it).

5. marsupial jones

thanks for the details and recommendations! definitely going to spending a lot of time looking into all of those options. i've become so nitpicky and detailed that i take a picture of my "outfit" after each run and make note on distance, what worked, what didn't, etc. so i know for future use. for example, one of my tanktops constantly rides up / doesn't stay in place so i'm adjusting it every 30 seconds at most. so, yeah, i don't want to wear that one during long runs. trying to find the best combo for my marathon, knowing i'll probably have to add to it since the marathon is in November and i'm running next to two lakes the whole damn time.

best of luck to you as you get back in the swing of running! hope it goes well!

Supernova likes this.
  6. marsupial jones

Today was a short run speed training day and ran 3.16 miles in 25:13, BY FAR the fastest I’ve ever run a 5K. I’m not at all interested in speed or how fast I run my marathon, but it is neat to tell that I am getting stronger and faster. No way I’d ever be able to run 3 miles in 25 minutes six weeks ago.

It’s been amazing to see my progress over the last month or so. I used to run a mile in about 10-11 minutes and last Sunday for my slow long run I was trying to aim for 10:30 and couldn’t go slower than 9:30. Funny how within six weeks what used to be my normal speed was now unattainable even when I was trying to go slow. Love being able to actually see and feel results!

Supernova likes this.
  7. Supernova

Awesome man! Its truly amazing to see the speed/time gains you can make early on in your running career after even a small amount of consistent training.

I did my first official "run" yesterday since June and since before that May. Choose some new trails in the area that I hadn't been on yet. Just 250 ft of gain on 1 loop for 3.8 miles. Lovely, lovely trails. I can't wait to see them when the leaves are turning colors. Of course I was just taking it easy. I struggled to keep my HR under 143 or, so I would run a bit at a slower pace then walk it to cool the HR. I mean I'm not surprised since even my cross training has been a bit light over the summer. Even then biking and swimming is still not running so it doesn't 100% translate.

8. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

threw you some kudos. are you hurt?

also this thread is making me realize how completely ignorant i am to gear. ive been running in the same 3 or 4 pairs of race shirts and generic gym shorts for the past 3-4 years.

9. Supernova

I would classify myself as "getting over" an injury. I still feel residual tightness in the foot, but IDK how long I'm going to have to wait until it feels back to normal. That may be months longer. No idea. Figured I would go ahead and run a bit lightly to see how I feel along with still doing my PT stuff constantly and see how it goes.

And your wallet is 100% better for you being ignorant. I envy you.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  10. dlemert

Trusted

Does anybody recommend a good pair of running headphones? I'm basically just looking for something affordable (don't want to spend over $50) and most importantly will stay in my ears while I run. I've been notorious my whole life for not being able to find headphones that stay put while running. Apple earbuds are worthless for this, and I've even tried the earbuds that come with a hook that goes over the top of the ear, only for them to fall out sideways in a minute or so of moving.

I'm just getting back into running after not having done it seriously for a few years and plan to do a trail race in November. I just don't want to be stuck with the sound of my own labored breathing while training, so if anyone has headphones they'd swear by I'd appreciate the suggestions!

11. Supernova

Plantronics BackBeat FIT 2100 Wireless Headphones, Sweatproof and Waterproof In Ear Workout Headphones, Grey - 212201-99 (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDJ5TK4/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Super adore these. Maybe not that specific listing but that “Backbeat Fit” style. I can wear them for hours. Never fall out or bug me. You can still kinda hear your surrounding as they don’t seal off your ear canal. That helps to eliminate ear fatigue.

dlemert likes this.
  12. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

after struggling with IT/soft tissue pain for what seemed like forever I think I’m back to regular programming. damn does it feel good.

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  13. bedwettingcosmo

14. dlemert

Trusted

Excellent, I may give these a go! I've never used the behind-the-head style before but these may be the ticket for my oddly shaped ears. Thanks!

Supernova likes this.
  15. dlemert

Trusted

16. Supernova

I feel you man! It feels so nice. I started back as well but I'm paying super close attention to my foot and still doing the PT stuff. So weird as my IT band stuff went away(with some PT) in a few months when it happened to me back in 2017. Bodies are weird.

Did my first "tempo" run today with my first sustained threshold effort since my last race in early May. 1 mile easy, 1.75ish miles uptempo threshold at what was around 8:30 pace then about 0.5 miles cool down. It was still super hot at 6pm so I still was struggling to keep my heart rate low at what seemed like molasses pace(10:30-11). It was on the roads "ASSfault". Next run I'm going back to the trails or at least the local XC course.

sean_rugy likes this.
  17. marsupial jones

I’ve got a 15-mile run to prepare for on Sunday and I’m so excited for it. I really love my long Sunday runs and not giving a shit about my pace.

As much as I hate to admit it, the time component has been on my mind slit lately and a lot sooner than I anticipated. When I first started really focusing on running and doing a marathon 8 weeks ago my mentality then was about just finishing the marathon in the allotted 6 or 7 hours. I didn’t give a shit on the time. And now I find myself tinkering with speed trials and wondering if I can do it in a certain time and another part of me is like “whoa, slow down champ. Let’s not forget you’ve never fucking done this so quit thinking your Bolt or some shit and get off your high horse”.

18. terps12

Regular

Speed and interval work is an important but often neglected aspect of beginner training. If this is your first marathon, that is definitely the right attitude to maintain. I've only done two full marathons (I've since transitioned to half Ironmans and have a full Ironman in a few weeks) and neither has gone according to "plan". At some point in the race, it is very likely your time goals will start to slip away and finishing the race will be the priority. Good luck. I'll also be out there this weekend for a 70 mile bike Saturday and a 13 mile run Sunday.

19. bedwettingcosmo

i've always had a hard time slowing down on my runs. pretty much every run i do is a "tempo" run. i've tried to slow down but have definitely lost some speed this summer so its hard for me. definitely need to be better about balancing it out.

20. sean_rugy

about a year ago I learned about this 'underground' running club in NYC called the Orchard Street Runners. they hold unsanctioned point-to-point races in the city, usually in the middle of the night. they have people on bikes riding along and helping with traffic where they can and many people get lost or DNF. my ultimate goal is to get healthy enough (and fast enough) to be able to at least be in the middle of the pack.

here's a video from their Midnight Half in May.

Supernova likes this.
  21. bedwettingcosmo

thats so dope

22. bedwettingcosmo

how the ef is that guy smoking a pack of marlboro's and then running that fast?

23. sean_rugy

lmao I had to watch that part back a couple times just to make sure it was the same guy. I don’t understand.

24. Supernova

So cool. I’d love to take part in that. Probably hard to get into? Being that I’ve never been to New York I would totally be lost without a GPX file uploaded or something that I could follow if wasn’t around someone.

25. marsupial jones

I literally got “lost” in a small city (50K) that I’ve lived in for about 15 years total when I read my own map route wrong and ended up doing a 12 mile loop instead of a 7 mike loop.

What I’m trying to say is I would definitely get lost, ESPECIALLY at night!

sean_rugy likes this.