Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 54

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think it has to do with me having some thicc legs. The rubbing together with the lining makes my legs raw.

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

bobby_runs likes this.
  3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Ahhh it's you that's given me kudos. Thanks!

I took a break for 17 days because I rolled my right ankle walking down the damn street, sober as a judge. 2 runs in 2 days (including at 6am this morning before work - a first for me!) and feeling good.

Tomorrow 6/5 is National Running Day anyone doing anything special? My girlfriend and I are part of the Illinois Brewery Running Series and we are running at Goose Island.

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Next week my training block for my 100k starts. I was originally going to race a 50k at the end of this month too, but two weeks into that training block I strained my calf and decided to rest it and volunteer for the same race instead. Technically I could've still raced the 50k, but I really wanted to let it rip and didn't feel confident enough with the little training I'd get. So why not save $100? Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked to be working an aid station at the race. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone own that shit and give them motivation to keep it going.

The San Diego 100 was this past weekend too. I ended up going to Joshua Tree instead of the race and now I kind of regret it because Zach Bitter won it and battled Chris Hammes until the very end. He beat him by like 2 minutes I think! Thats insane for a 100 mile race. It would've been awesome to witness Zach race. I didn't realize he was racing it either.

sean_rugy and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Has anyone in here done a couch to 5K program before? Even though my recent race would suggest I wouldn’t need it I personally feel like I do. My training hasn’t been what I’ve wanted it to be since February. I’m hoping doing a program like that will boost my confidence and put me back mentally where I want to be.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I tried one about 10 years ago. It definitely worked for me. I had a history of running before the program so I ended up bouncing back about 3/4 the way through the program. I think you’ll get your mojo back fast too. But the program is definitely a nice step for motivation and routine purposes.

7. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

This isn't the usual place I post but I feel like I could get good feedback here. So I run a good amount and I need to get a new water bottle, what does everyone else use? The water here is not great so it kind of has to be filtered.

8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just got the new Hoka One One Evo Mafate 2 trail shoes and these things are BEASTS. I've been finding that Hoka's work best for me as far as recovery and support goes. My legs definitely don't take as much of a beating in them.

I love my Wildhorse 5's too, but I've found that the longer I go in them, the more everything hurts haha. I still run in my Speedgoat 2's too. Those are pretty cool, but a little narrow.

9. bedwettingcosmo

it band flared up today. FUCK

10. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

oh no. I hope you caught it early, I’m still not 100%.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

If you’re looking for a new hydration vest these are a great price on amazon. Prices vary by size. I just ordered a size M. Stoked about it bc I originally wanted this exact one a long time ago but went with a Salomon S-Lab vest for a cheaper price, which ripped after one fall and really digs into my collarbone.

Nathan NS4535 Vaporkrar Hydaration Pack Running Vest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTFHZV0/?tag=absolutepunk-20

12. chewbacca110

Getting back into it with 3 runs this week. June sucked for me because I rolled my ankle something vicious at the very end of May then I injured my back and had to take a steroid for it.

I am trying not to get down on myself
    because this time last year I was absolutely killing it since I was training for the Chicago marathon. This summer is strictly for health and fun, but man... I’d love to get close those weekly training numbers again.

13. chewbacca110

It’s 94 degrees in Chicago and I somehow squeaked out 4 miles. How you all are keeping cool while getting your miles in!

14. bedwettingcosmo

i either run at 5am or head up to the mountains

15. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Anyone have any good sites, books, podcasts ANYTHING on getting ready / preparing for a marathon? Particularly your first marathon? I’m looking at doing one next summer.

I’ve done a couple 5k’s here and there over the years but that’s it and I think the longest I’ve ever gone on a run currently is 6-7 miles at one time.

I’m not interested in how fast I get it done but it’s always been something I’ve wanted to do and figure if I put it in my head now to start training for it for next summer it’ll keep me more motivated than having nothing in particular to focus on.

16. marsupial jones

Signed up for a half-marathon on October 26th.

Yesterday officially started the 14-week training “program” for it. This morning was the first run and I was/am super proud of myself for sticking with it because when I first got up and started I was in no mood / frame of mind to do it but within a few minutes I was feeling good and happy to be out there getting it done. Had I not signed up for the half-marathon I probably would have just hit the snooze and went back to bed.

Anyone have any recommendations / favorites on shirts / shorts to wear outside in the summer? Realizing most of my UA clothing is cold gear not heat gear so I was up quick. Ironically enough I bought some cheap no-name brand breathable exercise shirt at Target for $7 and its instantly become my favorite.

Also learning how big hydration is. I feel like I’ve always been a bit under/hydrated but the last few weeks I’ve really focused on drinking more water and believe I can feel and tell the difference in general energy levels and whatnot.

Supernova likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Still convinced there’s nothing worse feeling than having to take a massive dump in the middle of run.

18. MikeERayner

Trusted

Totally understand this! I’ve had a really rough year and haven’t done much running at all and am struggling for motivation. I live in Sydney but there’s a half marathon in Melbourne also in October that I’m considering signing up for to give me something to work towards.

19. MikeERayner

Trusted

About to do the City2Surf here in Sydney. Decided last minute to enter but it was sold out so technically I’m running under someone else’s name who’s no longer running. Should be fun, 85,000 people pounding the pavement!

20. marsupial jones

sweet jesus that's a lot of people! ironically enough i was watching the 2019 London Marathon and that had less than half of what your race is expected to have and it looked packed to the gills. i couldn't imagine how they coordinate all that. first group might be done by the time the last group starts!

21. MikeERayner

Trusted

Haha yeah it’s the biggest “fun” run in the world. It’s 14km (8.7ml) from the cbd to Bondi beach. Very staggered start and yeah the winners do it in 40min before others (including me!) have even started!

22. MikeERayner

Trusted

Did better than I thought I would though. Did 69min last year and this year did next to no training and did 75min

Supernova likes this.
  23. marsupial jones

i don't think i can ever run on a treadmill again. i started running outdoors more the last few months and every once and awhile while at the gym i'd try and run and it's just so so so so so boring. it feels like it takes forever to get to the distance i want to reach and idk i think their pacing system is off because the timing seems way different than when i'm outside and i compare those times vs what the treadmill says the speed needs to be at. or maybe it's all just mental since i'm running in place.

now, we'll see what happens in the fall / winter months where i might be forced inside (live in Wisconsin) but i'm definitely preparing to buy cold gear to keep me outside.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  24. MikeERayner

Trusted

Oh man I feel you with treadmills. They’re the freakin worst. I have that same feeling where it feels like it takes forever to get to whatever distance. It also feels like I’m running faster than what I do outside so I don’t know how that works! I think the whole thing might just be the fact that the machine dictate your pace whereas outside you dictate the pace?

I’m pretty lucky to live in a place that doesn’t get insanely cold (despite what some people think). I’ll head out at 6am in the middle of winter in shorts and a singlet. My motto is “if I’m still cold by the time I’m down, I either haven’t gone hard or far enough” haha. Not sure you’d be able to get away with that though!

25. marsupial jones

i'll preface this by saying that while i was not expecting all of this, i am more than welcoming it and am enjoying the experience even if it may sound like whining.

i had no idea how significant a time and money investment serious running was before i started. holy shit.

i feel like most people assume that the only time taken up in a day of running is just that - the running part - and that most people maybe would be out running for 20-30 minutes.

but depending on how long your run is, like sunday long run days, that could be 2-3 hours or more depending the mileage and pace.

then you add in before and after stretching, showering, preparing a meal. suddenly that's an extra 60-90 minutes to add to a run (depending on mileage, i still do stretching before and after even if it's only 2-3 miles but not nearly as much as if i'm out for 8-9 miles or something).

then you have food to consider and depending on how much you go through, you may be stopping at the store every day or every other day for bits and pieces (this is pretty much what i do now on my way home from work since i used to buy in bulk and then too much would expire because i can't eat 35 bananas in a week). additionally, depending on where your diet is coming from, this could be a major cost adjustment (for better or for worse, depending on what you were eating), which may lead to more prep time in the kitchen to making better meals. and if you're like me and have no cooking skills whatsoever, this is a major time eater as you figure shit out.

then comes all the goddamn dishes. i do dishes every day. honestly not sure i'd want to see my sink after 2 days. i make eggs for breakfast so every morning that's: pan, plate, fork, knife, mixing bowl, spatula, whisk, cup (for juice). just for one meal! that's not including dinner and / or after work or weekend snacks that are made.

then of course, there's the extra laundry. i used to do maybe 1-2 loads a week but now it's 3-4 with all the gym clothes and maybe even an extra day of doing laundry if the smell gets too bad before i do it on the weekends per usual.

then add in all the gear and accessories you can buy (clothes, watches, headphones, vests, reflective gear, shoes, water bottles, etc.) and the cost of races if you do that sort of thing.

this is a very expensive and time consuming hobby.

but again, i love it and i'm so thankful it randomly occurred to me to sign up for marathons so i have goals and schedules to stick to, otherwise i'd probably skip running days here and there and just "make it up tomorrow" because there was no harm in that because i didn't have a goal.

Supernova and MikeERayner like this.