Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 52

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Thanks, man!

2. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I'm dealing with some knee problems currently and it's bumming me out a bit. "Runners Knee" specifically. Knee cap pain kind of on and under toward the middle and top. I can technically run through it but that's not wise. I felt it 2 weeks ago after a long run, but it slowly got better during the next training week. Then I did another long run(22m) and felt it again. I ran on it the next day since it was a peak back to back long run I felt I needed to get in. Don't think that made it worse. Haven't ran all week trying to rehab it. Although I haven't done much to rehab(strengthen anything) other than ice the knee, a good diet, yoga and stretches.

I did the elliptical last night for 30 mins and I don't think it made anything worse. It's peak training for me so that's a bummer. Going to try the stationary bike and maybe easy stair-master tomorrow. No matter how my knee feels in a month, I'm running my 50k no matter what. Maybe I can maintain some fitness until then.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I feel your pain. During my 50 mile I started getting runners knee around mile 35. I took it easy and it eventually went away before mile 40. Right before my training block started my knee would flair up around 14 miles into a long run. What worked for me was to just take it easy. Basically followed an 80/20 or 90/10 rule. Mainly, my training weeks were 80% or 90% easy running the legs and 20% or 10% moderate - hard running. I think that really helped me out long term. Still got the miles in too. Above all else, go by how you feel.

You're going to kill your 50k!

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  4. Supernova

Appreciate the support. I do tend to operate at 80/20 and sometimes 90-100% easy on some weeks. I feel the last 2 training weeks, while scheduled to have some harder workouts based on my training plan, I pushed too much. Maybe. Especially my long run 2 weeks ago. Although I felt good fitness wise, it still may have been too much.(?). That's probably not a direct cause, but just a quick thought looking back. I'm sure it's a little bit of a few things added together. I'll be fine.

And still the thing of needing to do strength drills and some weights at a more consistent rate. Theres always going to be some bumps in the road in our sport for sure.

5. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

AlwaysEvolving21 and Supernova like this.
  6. Supernova

I know I’m petrified of snakes in the woods around me, but that’s something else. At least the snakes don’t hunt you.

After taking 2 weeks off of running from some “Runners knee” issues everything seems to be ok now. In those 2 weeks I swam 3 times a week and did elliptical a couple times a week. Stretched, yoga, foam role, a lot of turmeric/ginger/meadowsweet tea. Ran Sunday and yesterday easy with no issues. Runing longer(8) today and then a 15-18 run on Saturday. Maybe something short on Friday or Sunday. Keeping everything easy and maybe just 4 days a week until my race on the 23rd. Don’t want any issues popping up, but don’t want to regress my fitness. Sucks I missed out on some longer back to back weekend long runs in a critical training block, but it’s whatever.

7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Anyone in here check out the free solo documentary?

8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I want to but I think I'd have an anxiety attack haha.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That’s fair. I highly recommend it at some point. It’s a heck of a film.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  10. Supernova

Man I have the Tiger Claw logo as my phone background lol. I would have made plans to make it out there for the race, but I have a 50k in Virginia the same day already registered for.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Maybe next year! I'm not running it either. I just really like Ethan Newberry and the logo haha.

12. Supernova

Saaaaaaame.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  13. EarthShifts

Trusted

After fracturing my foot/ankle last summer, I was finally able to run 1 mile without stopping and without pain. Felt really good and looking forward to getting back out there.

14. EarthShifts

Trusted

My wife is a yoga teacher at a studio in town, and they approached me about an interesting opportunity. They are organizing a couch to 5k program this spring, and the person who lead it last year can’t do it this year. So, they’ve inquired about whether I could do it or not, but I’m still debating.

I’ve been running seriously for 6 years, and I’ve done a lot of reading and such on my own, but I’ve never done anything like this. I think it’ll more be about motivating everyone.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any advice or thoughts?

Supernova likes this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

That sounds like a great opportunity. Almost 10 years ago I did a similar program after not running for 3 years straight and, for me, it was more of a motivational thing because I got to see quick progress with every workout. With that said, the program seems laid out already and if thats the case, I imagine it's just creating and fostering that motivational culture for people involved so they keep returning and performing. If they show up, results will happen. I say do it!

Supernova and EarthShifts like this.
  16. Supernova Mar 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 15, 2019)
    Supernova

I went to a Fleet Feet to buy some nutrition gels(Spring Energy), and I ended up trying on the Nike Vaporfly 4% Flyknit for the heck of it.

Holy f&%$

2 minutes of me wearing it in the store I understand the hype. I didn't expect it to be a bouncey as it was. I expected a firmer/stiffer foam of some kind. I can sort of compare it to a high cushioned Hoka with even more responsive bounce than you can expect. As you walk or run you can feel the literal bounce in your step.

If I look to do some other road halfs this year and a full 26.2, I want these on my feet. $250 is still though a damn hard pill to swallow(I wish it had a lower drop than 10mm). Maybe Hoka can come out with something similar and cheaper. Even with the $250 price tag, if someone is committed to comfort, performance, protection.... it's not that much if you want a damn great racing shoe I guess.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Nike has really stepped up their game in their running shoe department. I use to only race in Nike spikes back in the day. I still have a pair of Zoom Jasaris and Kennedy’s. But I HATED their training shoes. I had one pair of trail Pegasus and they weren’t terrible.

I recently bought a pair of Nike Terra Kiger 4’s for a discounted price and am pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy them on the trails. I have a pair of speedgoat 2’s and those things rule too, but I’ve been having more fun and feeling faster with the Kigers.

I think Hoka will eventually get where the 4%’s are. They have a few cool road race shoe option. I heard the carbon rockets are pretty good.

I didn’t know the 4% had 10mm drop though. That’s basically a Brooks shoe lol.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Was able to early register for the Cuyamaca 100k race today. I’m so damn excited for it.

It’s a golden ticket/qualifier for western states 100 so there should be some fast MFers racing.

I won’t get a golden ticket, but it’ll be awesome to be in a race that has them haha.

Supernova likes this.
  19. Supernova

Kiss a good Ultrasignup score goodbye!

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

What exactly does a good score on there get you?

21. Supernova

Nothing really. Its calculated by dividing your time by the top finishers time. So the longer it takes you to finish compared to the top person in that specific race, your percent goes down. Its a strange way to calculate it. You can see how a runner has generally performed over time from the score I suppose. GT races brings out the fasties so they are going to really crank down on a super low time.

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Been loving my Nike Terra Kiger 4’s so I had to splurge on the new Wildhorse 5’s after seeing them and trying them on. Definitely saving these for dry days lol.

8FFC79CD-575E-45DE-9A2F-AC7050C7C6C9.jpeg

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Fuccccckkkkkk, those are sick!

24. Supernova

Damn those are sick indeed. Both the Kiger and Wildhorse with that same color scheme. I 100% don't need any more trail shoes this year though :(

25. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

So I think I’m finally at the point where I need to change my media game for my runs. I’ve been rocking a 2nd gen shuffle for the last 8 years. Think it’s finally time to use my phone (7+) as the main source. So I’m on an unlimited plan already so data isn’t a factor.

But two questions

A) best streaming platform that has selection and mixes well with my own library (b sides/demos/mixtapes)
    B) best wireless headphones that hold up for long runs