Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 51

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Supernova Jan 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2019)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Luckily it hasn't been too cold here this winter so far, but when I have to get the run in when its cold I try to warm up inside first and dart out the door straight into it; that is if I'm running from my house. Lungs, leg swings, "standing butt cheek kicks", short static stretches, hip flexor stuff..... Getting HR up a bit while I'm in a 68-70 degree F house seems to help me.

I have some North Face tights I love. Usually only worn when its cold on easy runs(45 degrees max or so depending on the length of the run), or REALLY cold during a race(in the 20s or lower). For a shirt I have some North Face, Nike, Patagonia(sorry I'm a name brand whore sometimes) thin to medium long sleeve tech shirts, some with 1/4 zip necks that allow to unzip when it gets a bit toasty. A very thin windbreaker outer layer works wonders to knock the chill off on top of that long sleeve. If you heat up just tie it around your waste. Easy. Look at Patagonia's Houdini jacket for an idea(you can find it on sale for sure). Heck, TJ Maxx is a good place to look for some cheap tech stuff. My favorite running shirt is a Nike long sleeve I found at one on a bargain. RunningWarehouse has a ton of good stuff to check out.

------------------------

Man I really do love reading all the updates here. I took a nasty tumble about a month ago not unlike @AlwaysEvolving21 . AND on a fire/jeep road too. Mile 1 of a 13.1 trail race my foot catches something as i'm pushing down a hill at 6-7 something minute pace, I do a flip slamming to the ground and cut my leg up good as well as badly bruise(maybe slightly cracked) a rib on my side. However, I finished strong. It didn't start really hurting until 1-2 days later. Had to take a week off. Then had a good training week after that off time THEN got sick. Was able to plug away at some miles but not where I wanted it to be(I'm still coughing a bit). This weekend I had a 25k trail race in which I came in 3rd male and 4th overall. 14.5 miles by mine and my friends watch, but it was marked for 15.5. 9:49/mile avg pace with 1560 elevation gain on the 2 loop course. I came from out of state to take their trophies which felt good. Today I did 8.2 easy on the trails after work to cap the week at 41.2 miles. This week will be 45 or so miles then 50 the next week. Still building to my 50k on Feb 23rd. I'm scheduled to hit the gym tomorrow which I'm honestly hit or miss on. I'm going to make myself go I suppose.

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

@Supernova

saw your race on strava. nice work dude!

3. Supernova Jan 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 7, 2019)
    Supernova

Thanks man! Its crazy when you think about the progress. This time last year I could have ran that same race and been no where close to that time with also my body being destroyed for a few days. This year I did 8 miles the day after the race and still feel mostly 100%.

As far as my 2019 goals go, I've got my first 50k in Feb on a mountain close to home. I've got a 2nd 50k in May out in Virginia at a very cool spot "Grayson Highlands". Not really sure of a goal time on either. Sub 6 hour is pie in the sky goal as the elevation gain is a kicker on both. Probably 6:30-7h on my first. Goal really is to finish. I want to break sub 20 mins in a 5k at some point as well. That is if I can make myself do an official 5k again. Trying to blow a gasket for that short of a distance isn't appealing to me as much anymore haha. Later in the year I plan on a 50 miler somewhere September-December time frame. November 2020 I look to do a 100 miler. Anything can change until then, but that's my mindset.

4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

My 2019 running goal is run a half under 2 hours. Barring the October marathon and training I have done since, 8 months ago was my last official half and I did 2:19:16.

My girlfriend and I wanna travel to do a half since most of our races have been in Chicago. Considering the San Diego Rock and Roll Half in May.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  5. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I'm done with PT! that was uhh expensive. I really screwed myself somewhere down the line and that was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in my life. basically just run/walking for the next few weeks to ease back into it with some light strength training.

moral of the story is DO NOT FORGET TO STRENGTH TRAIN WHEN UPPING YOUR MILEAGE!

6. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

SD Rock n Roll half is amazing. Great atmosphere but prepare for warm weather.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Decided to retire the Apple Watch for a Coros Apex 46mm. It’s basically a Garmin 935 but way cheaper.

Battery life is insane:

-30 days regular use
    -35 hours in gps mode
    -100 hours in ultramax mode

46mm is $350
    42mm is $300

I’m excited to see what this watch has to offer. Figured it was worth a try lol.

Check them out if you’ve been interested in a new gps watch.

APEX - COROS - Explore Perfection

8. bedwettingcosmo

that looks nice.. let us know how it works

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Love the goals! I feel you on the 5k stuff. I raced so many 5ks and 10ks back in the day that I just don’t see myself ever being as fast I was. I’m also burned out by them. plus, those disntances hurt so much more haha.

Supernova likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21 Jan 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just got my last run/shake out in before the big day tomorrow morning. I’m excited, nervous, and all the above. Two things I’m concerned with:

1.) I hope my nutrition plan works. I’ve been training it, so we will see.

2.) I hope I poop before the start.

11. bedwettingcosmo

honestly this is probably the most crucial thing to do before any race.

12. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

If I have an early race, like 7AM, I won't go. I need to poop, then shower, then race.

Before one of my triathlons, real early, I had to go, and a broke my rule. I hate the feeling of feeling dirty (it's an OCD cleanliness thing that applies to everything in my life), so I brought hand sanitizer and wiped my butt with it. I was super careful, didn't hurt at all, and I left feeling A-OK!

13. chewbacca110

In my fall marathon bag I got 4 Dude Wipes. I haven't had the opportunity to use them, but I will bring them to Iceland next month since I plan on doing a lot of hiking and running.

colorlesscliche likes this.
  14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I was literally about to ask if anyone showers morning of race bc I do it too haha. It wakes me up and muscles feel good.

15. chewbacca110

I typically shower the night before to relax myself into sleep since I am usually too excited.

A post-race shower, though? The best.

16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I use these at home for everyday use, they're great. Never thought about getting them individually wrapped!

17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It's a must, if only to wake me up. A mid race beer helps too. ;-)

[​IMG]

Supernova and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  18. chewbacca110

Look at those gams!

colorlesscliche likes this.
  19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That weekend was quite an adventure, they were doing a sprint triathlon on Saturday, and Olympic on Sunday. I signed up for both. Keep in mind these were my first and second triathlons, ever. Back to back.

Saturday
    ~.5 mile swim
    ~12 mile bike
    ~3.1 run

Sunday
    ~1 mile swim
    ~25 mile bike
    ~6.2 mile run

My Sunday race, about 3/4 through the run, my family (and cheer team) found a parking spot on the water, and brought me a beer. Chugged a whole beer and ran another mile or two.

I didn't know it at the time, but I got an award for doing both races.

20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I could talk about running all day, here's my last race I did (half marathon). This was quite impressive for me since it was the first race since my kid was born and my training, etc. dropped significantly.

[​IMG]

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Finished my first 50 miler today. Took me exactly 8:30 (move time was 8:17). A bit slower than i would’ve liked, but I’ll take it for my first experience. It was raining and muddy as shit. My legs and feet like an extra 20lbs lol. Miles 30 - 40 were so brutal. Shit got real! It was a wonderful experience though. I definitely reccomend an ultra!

Also, my nutrition plan was spot on. Now i need to concentrate on strengthening my core and legs.

22. bedwettingcosmo

nice work man, glad it paid off!

23. Supernova

I did my first 20 mile distance this weekend. 3400 ft of gain total. Felt great overall, slogged out the last 4 miles or so. I think general fatigue set in in the legs. It was a great day to be on the trails.

I'm not 100% sure if I have "runners knee" or me falling twice on the run i hit my knee, but the top of my left knee hurts on the knee cap. I'm just icing it and being careful for now. I seem to not pick my left foot up enough and end up taking a spill. First fall I just scratched my leg up slightly, next fall i landed flat on my chest and my bottle slams into my chest bruising another rib. Now it hurts to cough. It'll subside in a week or 2. *sigh*

Last 2 weeks I capped at 41 miles, then 45 miles, now this week I plan on hitting 50-52 miles. Then a recovery week thank goodness.

5Stories and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Sounds like a successful training day to me! You still got those miles in after all that and I'm sure you'll recover fast!

Supernova likes this.
  25. Supernova

And congrats on the 50 finish. That’s a great time. Nice going.