Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 50

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. 5Stories

Regular

Amazing time and what a huge PB!

If anyone doesn't know what parkrun is, it's free timed 5k's organised by volunteers all around the UK (and other parts of the world). For years I used to always go to the same one but recently I've been going to a different parkrun every Saturday morning. It's been really nice to explore more of London and start my weekend with something new and explorative. Today I met my friend at his local parkrun in south west London. He bumped into a friend of his who was a bit of a cocky so-and-so, bragging about his PB and making comments about people who go to parkrun every week for not having anything better to do. Just came across as a bit of a twat. Anyway, I felt him over my shoulder the whole race, but just about held on and beat him by 4 seconds. It felt pretty great haha.

Supernova and sean_rugy like this.
  2. EarthShifts Nov 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 19, 2018)
    EarthShifts

Trusted

Fractured my foot back in July and it was killing me to not be able to run. I was told by my doctors that I could start activity again in September though, so I’ve been slowly trying to run again. It hurt a lot but since they seemed to think I’d be fine I just figured it would go away and I needed to toughen up. Last week it just felt weird though so I went back to get checked out and found out that there is a 2nd fracture they missed the first time around which has not healed, hence the continued pain and everything.

I’m incredibly frustrated. I guess I just have to be patient and do what I can though. Hopefully I’m ready to go by the spring.

3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Man that’s a huge bummer to hear. No other way to put it. However, pull it back to a “birds eye view” and it’s not that much time off in the grand scheme of things. Heck, it’s too cold(or at least sucky to the max) to run most of the time this time a year anyway!

EarthShifts likes this.
  4. EarthShifts

Trusted

Yea, it’s already pretty much winter here in Massachusetts. Low temperatures and snow.

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Since my marathon in in October, the MCL on my right knee has been gving me issues so I've only run a handful of times and it's killing me. I ran twice in Florida over the holiday weekend while visiting family and had to walk halfway through my second run. Suuuuuuuucks.

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i tried to go out this morning and shin splints are flaring up. i feel your pain. running during the dark winter months is the only thing that helps keep my mood up so i'm hoping it's not long term.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  7. chewbacca110

I feel that super hard. I love running in winter months for my brain as much as my body.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  8. 5Stories

Regular

Yeah I completely get that. Running keeps me (just about) stable through these dark months. I'm hating this winter, first time in a while I've had a 9-5 and just seeing so little daylight. I run home from work most evening to keep me sane but not seeing the daylight is still killing me. Makes weekend runs even more precious.

9. EarthShifts

Trusted

I feel you on this. I got a new job this summer so instead of getting out at 3, I now get out closer to 5. It feels crazy to leave work and have it be pitch black out. Plus November has been so cold in Massachusetts, it’s making it even harder.

I posted a few back about an injury though, so I can’t even run. Just trying to make sure I stay consistent with the gym.

5Stories likes this.
  10. bedwettingcosmo

i went to the gym yesterday and lifted annnd i can barely lift my arms today... i was not made for this.

11. 5Stories

Regular

Everyday is leg day

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The Good: I pushed myself exactly a week ago going for a distance PR and got it: 8.6 miles at 8:16 per.

The Bad: My foot has been a little angry since. I have some pain in the top left half of my right foot and feel the sting when I walk. I really want to start running again (my 400 miles goal for the year is in sight) but I don't want to make it worse. Does anyone have the best stretches or tips? I've been icing it and stretching it but it has been lingering. Bad idea to push it?

5Stories likes this.
  13. 5Stories

Regular

Don't know much about stretching but I'm a big fan of resting until things feel 100% and not rushing. Better to wait a few extra day than have another few weeks layoff.

14. bedwettingcosmo

hows everyone's running going? been going through a brutally cold and snowy stretch of winter where i live but i'm still trying to get out there consistently. might do a polar 5k later this month. my pace has slowed considerably since the summer which has been kind of a bummer but i'm just trying to keep that base for now.

Supernova and 5Stories like this.
  15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Does anyone have any suggestions for pushing through that "ugh, it's cold outside, I have to put stuff on, agh, the wind, agh, I can't do this" feeling that I seem to get every morning before deciding to ultimately not run?

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I'm spoiled with San Diego weather and its been a little chilly here at times this winter....like 38-45 degrees haha. I'm originally from the midwest and contest to the winter weather running motivation. It's difficult, but what's always helped me out is knowing if its going to cold, wet, snowy, dark, or what have you....is always having my gear out and ready in the AM or PM depending on the time im going for a run. I place it somewhere I can't ignore. Once I have it on there's no turning back.

Its usually those first few steps that are miserable, but it always gets better. You just gotta do it. Like jumping into cold water lol.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I live in Minnesota, so you have to run outside in the cold pretty much. I'm part of a running club here, run out of a running shoe store, that has provided good motivation to meet there and run outside with other people, versus just myself. I get to see a couple friends from college there every time, so it's a great place to reconnect with them and run right along the river next to downtown Minneapolis.

As for running outside in the cold by yourself, or just outside in the cold in general, knowing what to wear is key. I like to go on the side of caution and wear maybe an extra layer too much, just in case, as you can always take a layer off. I wear a running cap on my head, to retain heat, so when I get too hot, the cap is the first thing I take off. Right now I'm usually wearing three layers, when it's 20-40 degrees F out; two technical shirts, one of them being long sleeved, and then a Nike running jacket. And then a pair of gloves. So as long as I keep my pace up, I stay plenty warm, and usually by the end of our group runs I'm so hot that I take off my jacket at the end and there's steam rising off the body, haha. These are evening runs though, which makes it easier to convince myself to do the run outside. I'm not a morning person, and the idea of running outside in the morning, in the cold, sounds way worse than doing it in the evening, haha.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

As for my running, this weekend is my last long run before my 50 mile race on the 12th. I sort of started tapering this week, but the real tapering begins next week. My training block has been very good, but I had to miss 3 weeks around month 2 because I had a nasty fall down a fire road. I tore my knee up, my back looked like i got attacked by an animal, and I sprained the AC joint in my shoulder. All because of the damn fall. I walked away a lucky dude. Anyways, I got back into the training block after the fall and nursed some plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Got some new shoes and all was good.

Aside from a couple injuries that led to missing a few weeks, I haven't missed a single day and I'm proud of that haha. 13 out 16 weeks isn't bad!

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I know I could research somewhere else but does anyone here have any recommendations for long sleeve shirts/pants for running? I just get too cold and find I can’t continue if I’m in shorts and a T-shirt

20. chewbacca110

I love winter running. Knowing my body has gone from “goddammit why am I outside?” to “this is the perfect sweating temperature but I know if I stop I will turn to an ice cube” is bliss. The cold helps me keep moving.

21. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Hit my goal for 2018 (it was 400+) which was exciting, though I ended up just above it at around 411 miles. Holidays and Phish New Years run definitely threw a wrench into my final third of December. Did my first run on Thursday since 12/23 and it was painnnnnnful. Just super duper winded, but I understand it with the layoff.

Also happy to report that I have retired my Altra Torins since my girlfriend got me a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus 20's for our anniversary! I have the GN 17's and loved them, was debating going back to Asics anyway so they were a great gift. Cool color too...it's black and some of it is like a blue/green/neon reflective in the light.

Goal for 2019 is to up my distance on a per run basis. Generally I've been in the 3 to 4 mile minimum zone on a run, would love to get that back up to 5-6+ per run by being cognizant of my heart rate (keeping it below 140~), then working up my speed once I get the distance base going again.

22. bedwettingcosmo

You’ve been killing it on your miles. I envy people who just go out for run of the mill 8 milers every day

5Stories likes this.
  23. 5Stories

Regular

I did two 5ks on New Years Day but haven't been out running since. In December I managed 124 miles which is a new personal best, and I was really starting to feel it in my shins and hamstring, so I've had to take a few days for recovery which is annoying. At least it's coincided conveniently with getting a cold so I wouldn't have done much anyway!

This year I want to do another marathon. I have my eyes on Reykjavik in Iceland if my best friend also signs up with me. It's in August so the weather should be very moderate.

I'm also reading a really good book at moment called 'Running with the Pack' by Mark Rowlands. The author is a philosopher and he grapples with the purpose of running. It's really engaging.

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think I'm the opposite of most here, in that I'm trying to focus on 5k's, haha. I come from a sprinting background in high school and college, 100's and 200's, so 5k's are now my ideal length. I did 20:02 somehow in high school cross country, like 13 years ago, and a week ago I did a 21:36 on the treadmill, so for 2019 ideally I'd like to break 20 minutes, but we'll see. Next treadmill run I want to start at 8.7 speed and hope I can last the whole time.

25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

You can totally do it. I was around 5-6 a day before making the jump. My training block called for 6-8 on weekdays.