Running • Page 50

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. 5Stories

Regular

Amazing time and what a huge PB!

If anyone doesn't know what parkrun is, it's free timed 5k's organised by volunteers all around the UK (and other parts of the world). For years I used to always go to the same one but recently I've been going to a different parkrun every Saturday morning. It's been really nice to explore more of London and start my weekend with something new and explorative. Today I met my friend at his local parkrun in south west London. He bumped into a friend of his who was a bit of a cocky so-and-so, bragging about his PB and making comments about people who go to parkrun every week for not having anything better to do. Just came across as a bit of a twat. Anyway, I felt him over my shoulder the whole race, but just about held on and beat him by 4 seconds. It felt pretty great haha.

Supernova and sean_rugy like this.
  2. EarthShifts Nov 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 19, 2018)
    EarthShifts

Regular

Fractured my foot back in July and it was killing me to not be able to run. I was told by my doctors that I could start activity again in September though, so I’ve been slowly trying to run again. It hurt a lot but since they seemed to think I’d be fine I just figured it would go away and I needed to toughen up. Last week it just felt weird though so I went back to get checked out and found out that there is a 2nd fracture they missed the first time around which has not healed, hence the continued pain and everything.

I’m incredibly frustrated. I guess I just have to be patient and do what I can though. Hopefully I’m ready to go by the spring.

3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Supporter

Man that’s a huge bummer to hear. No other way to put it. However, pull it back to a “birds eye view” and it’s not that much time off in the grand scheme of things. Heck, it’s too cold(or at least sucky to the max) to run most of the time this time a year anyway!

EarthShifts likes this.
  4. EarthShifts

Regular

Yea, it’s already pretty much winter here in Massachusetts. Low temperatures and snow.

5. chewbacca110

Formerly chewbacca110 on AP.net

Since my marathon in in October, the MCL on my right knee has been gving me issues so I've only run a handful of times and it's killing me. I ran twice in Florida over the holiday weekend while visiting family and had to walk halfway through my second run. Suuuuuuuucks.

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Prestigious

i tried to go out this morning and shin splints are flaring up. i feel your pain. running during the dark winter months is the only thing that helps keep my mood up so i'm hoping it's not long term.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  7. chewbacca110

Formerly chewbacca110 on AP.net

I feel that super hard. I love running in winter months for my brain as much as my body.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  8. 5Stories

Regular

Yeah I completely get that. Running keeps me (just about) stable through these dark months. I'm hating this winter, first time in a while I've had a 9-5 and just seeing so little daylight. I run home from work most evening to keep me sane but not seeing the daylight is still killing me. Makes weekend runs even more precious.

9. EarthShifts

Regular

I feel you on this. I got a new job this summer so instead of getting out at 3, I now get out closer to 5. It feels crazy to leave work and have it be pitch black out. Plus November has been so cold in Massachusetts, it’s making it even harder.

I posted a few back about an injury though, so I can’t even run. Just trying to make sure I stay consistent with the gym.

5Stories likes this.
  10. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Prestigious

i went to the gym yesterday and lifted annnd i can barely lift my arms today... i was not made for this.

11. 5Stories

Regular

Everyday is leg day

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The Good: I pushed myself exactly a week ago going for a distance PR and got it: 8.6 miles at 8:16 per.

The Bad: My foot has been a little angry since. I have some pain in the top left half of my right foot and feel the sting when I walk. I really want to start running again (my 400 miles goal for the year is in sight) but I don't want to make it worse. Does anyone have the best stretches or tips? I've been icing it and stretching it but it has been lingering. Bad idea to push it?

5Stories likes this.
  13. 5Stories

Regular

Don't know much about stretching but I'm a big fan of resting until things feel 100% and not rushing. Better to wait a few extra day than have another few weeks layoff.