Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Thanks for the tip. I am going to look into this. Would you say this is something that after you take for a while you can then stop taking and be good, or do you need to stick to the program? As I said earlier, I am doing Allegra-D, but only on an as needed basis around spring time with the pollen counts shooting up. Most of the year I don't need anything.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I only take it starting in March and stop about end of May or beginning of June. Basically peak pollen season. That's the only time I have had allergies.

3. Michael Schmidt

Cool, so it would work similar to what I am doing now. Still going to look into it. I would love to find something where you take it for a certain period and then never have to take something again.

4. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Thoughts on running while sick? I always want to keep doing it but I've gotten mixed results. Most recently the day after I got way more sick but it could've been coincidence.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm trying not to keep track yet so I just do a roundabout based on how many songs I get through. lol

6. Michael Schmidt

This is a tricky one. The short answer is it depends. I generally run when I am sick, but I usually only get a cold or two a year. I run through the allergy bs because that subsides quickly. If you are pretty down and out, I would say don't run. If you are just having a cold, a headache, I say run. Sometimes it helps you forget you're sick and it gets you outside.

omgrawr likes this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i dont run for shit when im sick cuz i hate being slow.

8. Michael Schmidt

It's just very hard to tell someone to run if they are sick. It's on the person dealing with it to decide. My father raised me with a "earn your stripes", bring your lunch pail mentality. That just carries over for me. If I'm walking, bet your ass I'm running.

9. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

The biggest gripe I have about running, or exercise or maybe anything when sick, is constantly wiping my nose. But I fix that with shoving kleenex up my nostrils. only downside is then breathing through my mouth and then I quickly get a side ache on top of feeling like crap.

10. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

If the illness is above your shoulders you'll be fine.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really pissed. For some reason my Garmin watch battery is drained. I just spent all this time creating a workout for it while plugged in. Whatever. Guess I'll walk the dogs first.

12. Michael Schmidt

First world problems for sure haha

13. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I know a few of you have said you don't listen to anything while running, but those of you that do... What headphones do you use? My cheap bluetooth ones from Amazon aren't going to cut it for me anymore.

14. Michael Schmidt

I have heard here and elsewhere that the Jaybirds are really good. I don't like the price point though for earbuds.

Snewt likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

i get the cheap panasonic buds off of amazon. last forever

Snewt likes this.
  16. bedwettingcosmo

17. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Nixon Micro Blasters. They sound fucking awesome and go around the ears like this so they don't pop out all the time like normal earbuds. They were $100 originally, but Nixon actually stopped making them. Luckily, they're all over Ebay now and you can snag some for around $20. They've also got a 3 button mic which is rad. They're not bluetooth but I just run the cord under my shirt and it's never bothered me.

Snewt likes this.
  18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I have them. I like them for the most part. I got the last version on sale on Amazon.

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ran my best 5K this morning since high school, time of 22:43, which is almost 2 minutes faster than what I did in the same event last year. And this is with only running twice in the last 3 weeks, on not very adequate sleep (full time work and grad school). Pretty happy about it, but I know when this semester is done, I'm really going to up my weekly mileage, as I know I can get under 22 minutes for sure, with a goal of close to 20 minutes by the end of the summer

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  20. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Weird to say but I've tried a lot of shoes and a cheap pair of nike dual fusions were one of my favorites in the last year or so until I tore them. I'm currently wearing a cheap pair of brooks launch 2, they're way more for casual stuff than running though so I'm still on the lookout. It's kinda hard to find something cushiony and has good shock absorption, both for the way my feet are and cause good ones are usually pretty expensive.

21. bedwettingcosmo

probably had one of my best short runs since high school. went on a quick 4 miler and averaged under 6:10/mile. felt really really good

Brenden likes this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Dang, that's flyin'. What events did you do in high school, assuming you were in track/CC? College also?

I come from a 100m/200m sprinting background, all the way through college, so 7:10 a mile for a couple miles is probably my limit at the moment

23. I've been having lower back pain while running this past week. I know there's multiple explanations for it, but do any of you have suggestions or experience with this?

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I dealt with that both in high school and in college; right in the middle of my lower back. Both times it got to the point where I could barely run at all. What worked? Getting a brand new pair of running shoes. Both times, the shoes I was using I had been using for a long time, like a year I think, and as soon as I got a brand new pair, boom, pain in my lower back gone.

Not saying this solution would fit you exactly, but I think it's down to a support issue with your feet; you could try putting arch support in your shoes to see if that makes any difference. Or if you've had your shoes for a while and are potentially in the market for a new pair, I'd look into that too.

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious