Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 48

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

How’s everyone’s running going? About to start building my mileage back up before my ultra training starts on the 24th. Excited to get into it, but nervous bc I don’t want to get injured before my race.

Also spent too much money on gear recently lol.

Supernova and chewbacca110 like this.
  2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Dropping/decreasing alcohol intake does wonders! I’m always amazed with how much better I feel when I cut it. Good luck with your race!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  3. Supernova Sep 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 13, 2018)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Kinda in the same boat as you. Mileage building slowly before ultra training; mine will be on Feb 23rd. What kind of plan are you following for the ultra training? I'm not sure what plan I want to follow at this point.

Been getting blisters on my left foot at an oddly higher volume than my right(which is zero). One huge one that has came and went on the back on my heal, and another on the ball of my forefoot. I may look at a different way to lace my shoes. I've been applying a salve called Squirrels Nut Butter which seems to help the rubbing for doing any damage at least.

Haven't been on the bike much at all so I made it a point to ride this week while I'm on a stay-cation. Did 16 miles on Monday then 26 miles on Tuesday. Made it point to be aerobic or threshold the whole time to build fitness. Tuesday was a big group ride and I had an easy time on the first 2/3 the ride keeping up with the group I was in, but on the last 1/3 I got dropped as I couldn't keep up as my legs were trashed. BTW the road biking crowd, to me, is so strange. Totally not like my running friends and especially not like my trail running buddies.

Gear is always a problem for me. As in, I want/buy too much haha. I did get some new long distance trail shoes so I would have more than just my Speedgoat 2's. Solomon Sense Ride for a bomb deal. Still looking at a pair of the Hoka One One Torrent's here before trail season hits.

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Nice! My 50 miler is January 12th. I’ll be following a 16 week training plan for guidance. Will be hitting an average of 60 MPW with long runs on weekends, but I might adjust some days during the weekdays based on how I feel. Ill lift light weight no more than twice a week to help prevent injuries. I really need to work on my core haha.

I feel you on the biking community! I have a few friends who are really into it. Unfortunately it’s just not for me haha.

I also have a pair of the sense rides and they’re fantastic! They are work horses, but replaced the lacing system bc they wouldn’t stay tight. I tried the Torrents out too but returned them bc they were way too bulky for my liking. Comfortable as hell though.

I have a pair of Hoka Speed Instinct 2’s that I LOVE but will be saving them for race day. I got a great deal on those from Shoes.com. If you like the Sense Ride you’ll probably like the Speed Instinct 2’s.

What kind of watch do you use? I use my Apple Watch and it does fine, but I really want a Garmin forerunner.

5. Supernova

Dang now you've got me looking for a good deal on the Speed Instinct 2s.

Been using a Garmin Forerunner 935 for about a year now after switching from the Apple Watch 2 and haven't looked back. I did indeed love my Apple Watch for all it's day to day uses and basic running, but that touch screen just didn't cut it for starting and stopping activities on a dime and other quibbles I had with it for running. The 935 is suppose to last 24 hours on GPS straight so you could totally pull off that 50 miler on one charge; the Apple Watch no way. Heck maybe not even a 50k with that.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Good to hear. I’ve been eyeing the 935. The Apple Watch battery life sucks! Barely made it through 25 miles lol.

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Over the weekend I ran my 20 miler for my marathon training. The farthest I have ever run in my life. It was 84 in Chicago this weekend and nearly zero shade along the path so I had to walk some of it and take water at each station so I didn't get the best time I would have liked. I am SO excited to taper off these next 3 weeks and coast into the big day!

Supernova and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  8. Supernova

About to start week 3 of my 50k plan. This week adds in 1 workout on Friday, but there is a 15k trail race I want to do on Saturday. I could shuffle some days around to make the 15k work out, but I will skip my workout. Next week is recovery week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the race so I can stay focused on my end goal.... but I'm still toying with it in my head. Staying Healthy is the Key.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i've been doing too much trail lately and losing my road speed. kinda bummin me out

10. 5Stories

Regular

I did the Bristol half marathon yesterday, finished in 1 hour 40 mins which takes another 5 minutes off my PB! The whole race felt like I was floating.

In total I've taken 15 minutes off my half marathon PB this year, 7 minutes off my 10k time and 3 minutes off my 5k time. This is my 5th year of running. I always thought of myself as someone with the mind but not the talent of a runner, but I feel really proud of my times now. They're far beyond what I thought I was capable of even 6 months ago. I feel like I can still go much faster as well.

11. chewbacca110

12. rockmonster

Way to go! Taking five minutes off of a PB is huge!

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My Apple Watch S2 is so out of whack. Its at least a 1/2 mile off and 45 seconds off on average pace. Anyone else have the same issue?

Also, anyone here use Strava? I just started about a week ago and I'm loving it.

14. bedwettingcosmo

A bunch of us are on strava! theres actually a chorus.fm group. look us up and join! im cj

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Sweet. Just followed everybody in the group haha.

16. chewbacca110

I am 6 days from my first marathon and I am trying not to freak out. I have 3 more small runs (4,4,2) and then it's chilling for 3 days.

5Stories likes this.
  17. bedwettingcosmo

good luck

18. chewbacca110

Thanks!

Also - after the marathon I am scrapping Run Keeper and going to start a Strava account. When I first started running 5 years ago I would always stop my timer when I hit a redlight (I live in Chicago) so my "fastest" times are all sorts of wrong. I wanna start fresh as an accomplished runner. For 5 yeas I've wanted to build endurance and distance by trying my best to complete races but 2019 is gonna be all about speed.

Supernova likes this.
  19. bedwettingcosmo

strava is the best. make sure you join the chorus group when you get it

chewbacca110 likes this.
  20. rockmonster

What is everyone running their fall marathon in? I was planning on purchasing the Hoka One One Tracer 2, but they are completely sold out of my size everywhere. I loved the first version of the shoe. Now I feel sort of lost. Would love to hear recommendations! My easy run shoes are Hoka One One Clifton 5. I do my speed work in the Nike Zoom Fly SP.

21. chewbacca110

New Balance 1260 v7 - I need a stability shoe for my left foot that pronates like a mother.

A year ago I was running in the Hoke One One Hupana's that were great for speed but nowhere near the support I needed after getting properly fitted for distance.

22. bedwettingcosmo

any altra shoe. i alternate between the escalante, one, and torin for my training runs. pretty much busted out all 3. probably time to get some new ones.

23. Supernova

Current running thoughts:

I'm trying to stick to my training plan and doing well with it so far. This week is a recovery week with next week ramping up a bit with a nice hill workout on Tuesday and 30 or so miles total weekly. I signed up for the "Ginger Runner Global Run" for Sunday(Run/walk/cover some distance in 2 hours). I'll just move my run from Saturday to Sunday, easy run the 6 miles or so, and just walk the rest to cover 2 hours; not worried about competing. Well, I have some trail running buddies doing about 12 miles on Sunday morning which I really want to join in on. Same I'll typical slow run/hike the first half or so then walk the later bits. Now though they are doing 16 miles. No matter what, that's too big of a stretch in a training cycle to stretch since my longest run has been 10 miles. Scared to death of getting injured.

I will be doing a 15 mile jaunt 1st weekend of November because I am pacing a friend on her 100 miler attempt. I'm good with doing that. I'll probably bail on the run this weekend, even though I hate to miss out(FOMO). I'm always working on these runs which sucks.

24. bedwettingcosmo

damn i need to sign up for more races. im so lazy

25. chewbacca110

I just completed my first marathon!!

Chicago course is awesome and I get the hype about it (I may be biased since I live here). Weather was 62 and overcast with light showered while the first few corrals went first. After mile 15 my right leg started giving me trouble and my feet were utterly shot after mile 20 so I finished at 5:23. I was hoping for under 5 and it would have been were it not for the discomfort.