Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 46

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ran a 5K race this past weekend for the first time in probably a year and a half. 16:42. Conditions were fucking perfect. Race started at 7:30 and the temperature was like 55 degrees. Went up to mid-80s later in the day, but the morning was gorgeous.

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

wow, that is BLAZING.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

A year or two ago, it's a time I would have told you I could never run. The last 5K race I ran I did an 18:50 and that was like April or May last year. So it was pretty awesome to come into this race and do that, especially since this particular road race is also the first race I ever ran in, 15 years ago or so.

Supernova and Drewski like this.
  4. bedwettingcosmo

what was the course like?

5. Craig Manning

Pretty flat, mostly through downtown streets that they closed off for the race. The end straight away was right down the main street of my hometown, which was pretty cool.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  6. 5Stories

Regular

Beat my PB for 10k by an almighty 4 minutes this evening. The race was after work and I was pretty knackered so didn't think I had it in me, but I felt like I was gliding through the whole thing and felt completely "in the zone". Down to 43.27 now and I am absolutely delighted!! It helped that it was a flat course and a little cooler than it has been, but still quite warm (by usual London standards at least)

sean_rugy and Drewski like this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

nothing more obnoxious than running a course that isn't measured correctly. ran a 5k this morning that ended up being around 2.9. finished at 16:07. was mostly downhill so my quads are hurting.

8. 5Stories

Regular

Was it definitely not measured properly? Sometimes I find my watch can be not completely accurate for distance. Well done anyway, still an amazing time for that distance.

9. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I have a race coming up that I need to make a decision on. It's the last race after 50 years of it being held and it's considered Reno's oldest running event. I set the stroller record in 2015 (8K, 29:23) and I'm not sure if I want to do it as a stroller race or on my own. I have another daughter now too so if I push both it's going to be nowhere near my record time.

10. bedwettingcosmo

I admire stroller dad runners. I would be to selfish to race with a stroller lol

11. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

It’s been a challenge for me as of late. My 4 year old always wants to go with me and I can’t say no because it’s a cool bond we have.

It’s really starting to wear me down though. I have to change my routine because right now I’m doibg about 50-60 miles per month with the stroller.

sean_rugy likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

There was a race in my hometown a few years ago where this happened and the guy who won did it in like 14:15. I feel like you'd have that moment of being like "Holy shit, how did I do that?!" followed by the moment of "Oh, well that can't be right."

13. bedwettingcosmo

this is the exact thing that happened to me. i came around the final turn and saw the clock in the 15 minute range and was like wtf there is no way im going that fast

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

I can't figure out how they fuck that up, haha. Like, what measuring device are you using where you can be a quarter or a fifth of a mile off?

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I'll never forget in High School where we went to a race a new school in our conference and they just lined their course.....yeah....they royally messed up. We were busting ass, but it started to click that we were dying about 3/4 of the way in the race, which was weird. It was suppose to be a 5k and eded up being just under a 5.5k. Insane.

16. Craig Manning

That sucks so bad, haha. The “where the fuck is the finish line?” race would definitely be worse than the “oh, done already?” race.

sean_rugy likes this.
  17. bedwettingcosmo

had that happen on a 10k earlier in the year that ended up being 6 and a half miles. i was so dead/pissed.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

If your into Ultra running and Death Cab For Cutie, Ben Gibbard gets interviewed and is a pacer for Brian Morrison at the Western States 100. 40 minute mini-doc, but its pretty inspiring considering Brian's story.

Supernova, 5Stories and sean_rugy like this.
  19. bedwettingcosmo

Everytime i watch or read up on these kinds of things i always get so inspired to go out and do epic trail runs but anything over 10 miles and i'm just completely shot mentally and physically. these people are incredible.

AlwaysEvolving21 and Drewski like this.
  20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

21. Craig Manning

There's a guy from my hometown (a former crosstown rival, actually) who runs ultra marathons for Team USA. I do not understand how the things he does are humanly possible.

This is him: Quick & Dirty: Geoff Burns, 100K US Champion

Drewski and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. And he runs up to 7 marathons a week. This guy is unreal.

5Stories, Drewski and sean_rugy like this.
  24. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

wtf, that’s madness

25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I really don't understand haha.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.