Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 45

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. 5Stories

Regular

Small thing that I get sometimes: when I'm going fast and then going round a corner to change direction, if I'm not light on my feet then I get a sharp pain right in the middle of the sole of my planted foot. It feels a bit like a piece of elastic in the sole of my foot is being stretched to the extent it might snap. Otherwise feeling good and only getting it sometimes. Any ideas?

2. rockmonster

sean_rugy and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

got a half tomorrow. mostly downhill through the canyon. i think if i can get sub 90 min ill be happy

4. rockmonster

Good luck! I don't think I've ever done a race that has a net downhill for the course (I'm assuming that's what yours is). As long as you don't go out too fast the first few miles, you should be able to cruise yourself through the last half with some aid from the downhills.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It really depends on the severity and timing of the downhills. A course like Boston is not a net down, but it actually gives you quite a pounding on the quads. It’s a tired saying but it comes down to the training and what your body is used to.

6. bedwettingcosmo

haha it was super downhill and i definitely went out way too fast and paid for it on the last 3 miles. ended up finishing at 6:14 per mile. most of the first 7 or 8 miles were sub 6 and then i bottomed out when we came out of the canyon and finished on hills and flat. got 30th out of about 2500 people and got my sub 90 so im content

7. rockmonster

6:14 average?! You absolutely smashed your sub-90 goal then! Congrats!

8. David Smith

Just joined the Strava club

Drewski and sean_rugy like this.
  9. bedwettingcosmo

sikkkkk

10. Sheaver10

And what a way you won me over

Started running again this week for the first time in months.

Toughest part is getting up the motivation to go out each time after such a long time.

Supernova, Drewski and sean_rugy like this.
  11. 5Stories

Regular

Another new 5k PB this morning of 20:28 (beat my previous time by one second). Very satisfying as I really pushed for the line and also beat my friend by just a couple seconds :-)

12. rockmonster

Went out on a limb and raced a 5k Saturday. Placed 3rd overall with a personal best time of 18:21 (mile 1: 5:54, mile 2: 6:01, mile 3: 6:07). Went out way too fast (had wanted to be around 6:04 pace, but was running with two others, so figured I'd try to hang. Stuck in a group of three through about 2.3 mi in then one dropped off. I got dropped around 2.8 mi in. Course was a bit short, 3.05 on my watch, but will still count it as a PB 5k race!

My first ever marathon training started Sunday. Using the Daniel's Running Formula two quality workouts for 18 weeks. First quality workout (4 easy, 8 marathon pace, 1 tempo, 1 easy) was quite tough in the heat. Has anyone trained for a marathon using this program before? Good results?

13. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Did a 10k on the 4th in Atlanta. 49th annual Peachtree Road Race. They cap entrants to 60,000 and it was insane how many people were there. They had strict waves and wave start times. It was a very cool experience. I'm not back to where I was 8 months ago fitness wise so I treated the run mostly like a long run. Held roughly a 8:30 pace and then slowed to 10min pace for some of the back half with hills. I saved some gas in the tank for the last mile or so and juiced it a bit pulling 6-7min mile just to get that out of my system. See picture of me zipping through bodies at the very end and the ladies face like "O_O" (no offense to her)

I'm doing the Hal Higdon plan so I can safely build back up to half marathon distance and then to full. Not sure on that specific plan, but I like how Hal's is layed out. Probably sort of similar. Most of your runs would be easy pace, and 1-2 quality workouts a week. Long runs are most important; take your rest days as rest days. I know people that keep those rules and do well. Good luck with your training for sure!

Attached Files:

14. bedwettingcosmo

nice job!

Supernova likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

did 5 miles today in the heatwave. it was only about 90 but i fucking died. never going out past 9 am again.

chewbacca110, Supernova and sean_rugy like this.
  16. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

rand 6.5 today in the heat at 10am. Worst decision I made this weekend was sleeping in today

5Stories and Supernova like this.
  17. bedwettingcosmo

seriously tho, running in summer is my least favorite thing. i would rather run in a snow storm any day.

18. bobby_runs

SD has been so awful with humidity levels the last few years. When I first started running in high school hot days would be fine because it’d be dry heat. Now it’s hot and humid.

19. bedwettingcosmo

yup, no thanks.

20. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

fuck IT band syndrome so hard

Supernova likes this.
  21. bedwettingcosmo

This times a million. sorry man. rest and astym and lots of foam rolling!

22. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

yeah the real problem is I got into the NYC Marathon and now we're cutting into the 18 week out schedule. if it keeps up I'm going to have to defer to next year and that's bumming me out.

23. bobby_runs

That sucks.

My complaining about this awful weather in SDbpales in comparison to an injury like that.

24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Anyone have a suggestion for a bottle or something similar they use for runs? I wear a FlipBelt if that helps (ie: latch it on).

25. Supernova Jul 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 10, 2018)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Nathan NS4859 Speedshot Plus Quick Grip 12 oz Running Water Bottle Flask with Zip Pocket, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUH1GKQ/?tag=absolutepunk-20

I use that exact one for any time I take water with me. One side has a bit of a ribbed rubber grip so it won’t slip, and it’s contoured to your hand. There are bigger out there but I love this one for shorter efforts.

Edit: it also will fit an iPhone 8 in the pouch without a bulky case on it. I don't like putting my phone there, but it will suffice.