Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 44

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Holy shit, that's more or less what I heard from friends who did run in college but damn. I struggled enough academically as it was, there's no way I would have made it out alive with all of that thrown in there.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  2. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Ran my second full marathon yesterday. SD Rock n Roll. Had cloud coverage for about 35 minutes and the rest was with the sun beating down on us. Got to mid-70s at some points. Obvious tough part was the mile plus hill at 21 miles. With no shade.

My training wasn’t great and only ended up with two blisters. Finished in 3:57

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Congratulations on the finish. Mile plus climb at 21 sounds not ideal haha.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  4. Drewski Jun 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2018)
    Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just signed up for the Runaway Jim 5K at Phish's Curveball festival this summer and I am stoked. Can't wait to see what the scene is like for it.

During their Superball festival in 2009, the top three finishers got to hang on stage during the Saturday daytime set and Trey read their times to the crowd. Winner had a goddamn 15:23!

5. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Does anyone have some color in regards to the accuracy of Strava vs. Garmin (Forerunner 235)? I will sometimes run them at the same time for the same run, and have pretty different results, particularly in terms of pacing. When it comes to distance, the margin of error is pretty small, probably about 0.2 miles.

When I check the maps after, I'd say that 9 times out of 10, the Garmin maps looks "straighter" with no crazy line wiggles or jumping through buildings. Should I assume that Garmin is probably closer to my real speed, or perhaps it's somewhere in the middle between the two?

Pace: Garmin vs. Strava
    7:53 vs. 7:29
    7:50 vs. 7:26
    7:57 vs. 7:42
    8:13 vs. 7:41

6. Michael Schmidt

Wow that’s a big spread.

7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i haven't ran with the two at the same time but after switching from the mobile app to my forerunner, the general sense i got is that the mobile app said i covered more ground than what the garmin did. i've had to stretch my routes out just a teeny bit to get my full mileage since i switched. i would assume though that the garmin is more accurate.

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I know! Very frustrating haha.

Another wrinkle: a few times recently Strava didn't work, but Garmin did. When it didn't sync properly, I downloaded the GPX file from Garmin and uploaded it to Strava manually. Once it uploaded to Strava, Strava made my pace about 5-6 seconds faster (8:03 to 7:58 if I remember right).

All very weird and inconvenient. :concerned:

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ive noticed my Apple Watch being wayyyyy off too.

10. Michael Schmidt

That is ridiculous. I use the Apple/Nike app. I’m going to look into how accurate that is. I’d hate to be getting wrong info.

11. Michael Schmidt

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Ah, this was actually kind of an easy answer and I feel like an idiot...

Garmin accounts for total time when calculating pace, whereas Strava accounts for moving time when calculating pace. I'll take short breaks in the middle of runs sometimes, so this makes sense...

13. bedwettingcosmo

that makes sense, although i have my garmin set to autopause, so if i do stop at a light or to take a sec, it pauses the run.

14. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Did a 4 mile trail run today with some actual vertical gain. Haven’t ran a hill in months. 551 total gain. Blazing the last downhill felt so good otherwise it was easy paced with some walking.

Nothing really hurt either and nothing hurts now. Dammit it feels good physical and mentally.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

welcome back man, hope you can get some mileage goin

Supernova likes this.
  16. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Hey, happy international running day! Get a good one in if you can and if you're on the bench (sup fam)... keep on keeping on!

17. Michael Schmidt

I forgot to report that I am off the DL and back running again. Did some stretches, got new shoes, and rested as much as I could since it was a leg injury.

18. Supernova Jun 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2018)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Planning on it for sure. Thanks man. Starting next week on a slow build up training plan. Going to build back up to 13.1 and then from there 26.2 over time with, hopefully, an official trail 50k early next year.

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ran a little over 4 miles yesterday. Got it in before the basketball game. Felt okay, just super tight in some areas.

It’s time for new shoes too. The side arch ripped on my left shoe. My Orthotic tore right through them. Uggggghh. Take my money, running.

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Did a run for Global Running Day as well, 5 miles total. Not a bad view down at Brooklyn Bridge Park around the 3rd mile.

[​IMG]

21. bedwettingcosmo

thats purty

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The people dodging there when you're running on a nice day is next level. Spin move around a prom group taking photos...hurdle over engagement photos...run over a tourist...etc.

23. Michael Schmidt

That sounds like some good cross training haha

Drewski likes this.
  24. 5Stories

Regular

20:29 - another new 5k PB this morning for me on a very flat and quick course. My two friends also PB'd (20.03 and 20.22) so a very speedy and happy morning all round. To think, just one month ago, my PB was 23.22 and had been solidly in that area for 2-3 years. Feeling great and gearing up for a sub-20 push, something I never thought was at all realistic until very recently.

25. bedwettingcosmo

nice work!

5Stories likes this.