Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 43

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

we are all broken, damn.

Supernova likes this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

dont wanna be a dick but ive done 20 miles since monday which is alot for me and i'm still feelin pretty good.

hope this doesn't jinx me.

Supernova likes this.
  3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

4. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

We're all in this together!

Supernova and sean_rugy like this.
  5. 5Stories

Regular

Sorry to hear about all the injuries... but I followed up my 2 minute 5k PB with an (almost) 10 minute half marathon PB this Sunday. I'm in great form right now. Everything's feeling really easy. I have a couple 10ks next week so I'm pretty sure I can take some serious minute off that PB as well soon.

Oh, also on the way home from the half marathon I was randomly given a brand new pair of £140 Adidas Solar Boasts for free, for reasons I still don't quite understand. Pretty cool.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Glad to hear you are in a good place with your training. Nothing like hitting a nice groove. It doesn't feel like a grind when you get there.

5Stories, Drewski and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  7. 5Stories

Regular

First of my 10ks done, beat my PB by almost 3 mins (47:17). Boring 6 lap course around the very hot Olympic Park but got the job done.

Attached Files:

8. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Buddy beside you is having a rough time.

Freaking nice work btw!

9. 5Stories

Regular

Haha yeah. Thanks!

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Hit top 10 in the 10K I ran today. 35:56. Felt really good about that.

11. Supernova

Jeeze man. You were flat out haulin'. Congrats on that time and place. You've definitely put some work in to be that fast.

Craig Manning likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I've definitely ramped up my training in the last six months or so. I ran in high school, but I never really had the mental component of racing down. I had a tough time keeping it together in the last third of the race. I've definitely improved in that sense, which was been a good feeling.

Supernova likes this.
  13. bedwettingcosmo

have a half coming up in about a month. haven't been doing any long distance. today i got an 11 miler in and felt really good throughout. really need to do more slower longer runs

Supernova likes this.
  14. Supernova

I'm a bit jealous of people that ran in high school or started much earlier in life. Running just wasn't in my interest wheelhouse back then. I played basketball, baseball, and videogames instead. Getting into running seriously at 31 is a better late than never scenario. And I do realize that if things go well, I can keep running strong into my 50s and even and even 60s. 30s-40s being some golden years. Especially when I'm thinking longer mountain trail races.

Had about 6 months of strong running from May til November, then have been on the injury cycle ever since. It's what I get for not gradually building up mileage. Noob mistake, but I was having fun.

I did find some actually really good Nike running/racing kicks at Ross(discount clothing store) the other day for under $40. Pretty stoked on that.

sean_rugy likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

i kinda envy people that started running late. i started at like 16 and dont know how much my body will be able to handle in my latter years.

16. Michael Schmidt

Given my dad was into running, I was around it pretty early on. I was the kid running in the fun runs at road races. Then jumped into track and cross country in elementary school, which helped me for basketball. Ran in high school, but decided not to run in college. I had a few D-1 offers and decided that was good enough for me. I still love it, but I needed to step away from it competitively to realize how much I really enjoyed it.

My dad on the other hand is similar to you. He started around his late 20's (27 or 28) after he had my older sister as a way to help him quit smoking (which he had been doing for about 12 years or so). He then worked himself into being a sub 3 hour marathoner and did 2 marathons a year for the better part of my life. If you work at it and put the time in you can definitely have some productive years of running ahead. It's just a matter of deciding what's important in your life.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hey man, you gotta start somewhere. A lot of my friends started in their late 20's/early 30's too. Good for you to even start.

I started distance running in middle school. It wasn't until the beginning of college when I discovered the 3 secret weapons to prevent injuries:

1. Lift weights for strength training purposes. Lift about 2-3 times a week if you can and they don't have to be super long sessions. (I HATE this part haha)
    2. Stretch after every run.
    3. Get fitted for the right shoes and manage the mileage and wear you put on them.

Typically when I start feeling pain somewhere its not suppose to be I first check my shoes and see if I need new ones. 80% of the time it takes care of my issue. IDK about your injuries, but I usually get achilles, hip, or knee soreness. New kicks usually improve the issue after a couple days....depending on how severe the injury is, of course.

Go get it, man!

Supernova and Drewski like this.
  18. 5Stories

Regular

My uncle was a great high school runner, now in his early 70s and still runs 6 times a week so that's my inspiration.

I started at 23 and also jealous of people who started younger. When we did "cross country" at school (just a couple miles), I remember secretly quite enjoying it while everyone else moaned but I never had the drive or the reason/motivation to take it more seriously. I feel like if you weren't one of the kids who was good at football, no PE teacher gave you much notice. I'm very thankful I discovered running, it's hard to explain why but I don't know where I would be mental health wise without it. It's a big part of my life now.

I have a 10k after work tomorrow. It's about an hour and a half away from my office, busy busy day....

AlwaysEvolving21 and Supernova like this.
  19. bedwettingcosmo

^ thats funny. the one year i did xc in high school we took state championship and got a paragraph in 3rd page of the school newspaper while the football teams regular season win got front page. its an underappreciated sport for sure but i kinda like it that way.

5Stories and sean_rugy like this.
  20. Supernova

First run in 59 days. After some weights at the gym for core and arms, I hit the track after some good active stretching. Kept it to 2.4 miles. Felt great, but I have of course lost a lot of aerobic fitness. It was also mid-day and super humid. Ran 2 laps and walked a half of the next and kept to that pattern; ended on a lap walk. Stretched afterwards. Only time will tell if my achilles flairs up again. I'll rest tomorrow and give the track another go on Thursday. Just so I can have a forgiving surface to run on to start out.

21. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Love hearing how people fell into running. Started with middle school XC/track. I was pretty fortunate to go to a high school that was kind of "known" as a track school. We won states indoor and outdoor my freshman/sophomore year and I was lucky enough to be able to contribute some of those points in the hurdle events. The whole long distance thing is new for me, I'm a sprinter through and through and would loathe the long distance training days. Had a couple opportunities to run at the next level but I was honestly so burnt out. It wasn't until after college that I fell in love with running distances and jumped back in to the sport.

Gutted that I'm dealing with an injury and can't get out there for these early summer mornings, some of my favorite running weather.

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I started cross country in 6th grade bc the girl I had a crush on ran on the team and I wanted to find a reason to talk to her. We are actually very good friends til this day. 19 years later haha.

Kept running since then.

Drewski, Supernova, 5Stories and 3 others like this.
  23. 5Stories

Regular

My 10k didn't go so well. It was pretty much all trail, and being in the city I don't do any trail running. Plus it was super muddy and I was relieved not to fall over as I am a bit clumsy and I didn't have the shoes for it. After a few weeks of blasting down all my PBs, I was 5 minutes off my pace today. I'm not sure why I was so far off, but it's been a long day with work and general tiredness probably didn't help. Plus lack of motivation, once I saw I was far off my pace i kinda gave up and just wanted to get around haha. I've had lots of good days recently, so I can get over this one.

24. Michael Schmidt

College running is such a grind. I have a good amount of friends that ran and some coach now. It's a huge time commitment. Summer is spent training for cross. Run cross in the fall. Week or two off and then it's indoor. Week or two off and then outdoor. Week or two off and back in summer cross training. At school during the season, you do a morning run or workout. Go to class. Then you do either the run or workout that's remaining from earlier. Usually the workout. Some days you have a gym workout instead. Somewhere in that period you have to eat and study. Then factor in bus travelling for weekends when you have meets. Luckily most schools have scaled that back from weekly meets to more strategic planning. Lots of coaches want high mileage runners, so it's common for people to do around 100 mile weeks in the summer and then try to maintain that general ballpark in season. At least other sports have a defined on or off period Yeah, athletes still do training out of season, but most college runners aren't resting enough in my opinion.

Drewski and sean_rugy like this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo

100 mile week is insane. i'm happy if i get 20-25