Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 4

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Thanks for the advice! I don't compete anymore but I'm still doing 40ish a week plus workouts. The reason I'm worried is because I got my only stress fractures ever when changing shoes (used to run in the Saucony Shadow 6000s). I'm actually not 100% certain I'm in Kinvaras... I'll look when I get home.

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

They've been good to me so far! Also, I saw a pair of the Ravenna 6's on sale yesterday, they look awesome.

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone got any tips on improving run times. I'm trying to get my 5 mile below 40 minutes again. I've sort of plateaued at 45 (granted I'm running up some big hills and crossing some major roads). Like besides LSD runs anything I can To hep it besides pounding more miles on my body?

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Well, it looks like you know part of the solution haha: more miles. Something else you can try since you have a base down is mix in some speed work/tempo on your 4-5 mile runs. Maybe start your warm up slower than usual, pick it up for a mile or two, back it down, pick it up, and then cool down. I don't know that you really need to do a full track workout, but you can always do one. It won't hurt you.

5. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

This is what I was going to offer as well. Break up the 'monotony' of going at one speed the entire time.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  6. Michael Schmidt

At the very least it would serve as a way to practice picking up the pace in the middle of a run. That is the toughest thing to improve as a distance runner. How do you improve those middle miles where you are working your butt off and the finish line is not close. For most runners, that is where the goals/times are missed.

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

My splits for my five miler are usually

I basically just slowly die.

Note: Before you do math this is just an estimation. I'd have to look at the data and that's off the top of my head.

8. Michael Schmidt

Thanks for posting mile splits. I can definitely speak in that language. Honestly, the best advice would be for you to tone it down. What if you don't go out as fast and maintain a more consistent pace throughout? That's really what you are trying to achieve in distance running. The best runners have efficient splits, and they happen to be fast. You can answer this better, but is the 8:50 time doable the whole way? How about 9:15 or 9:20? Let's remove the 9:50 and the 10 because you are definitely better than that. What sounds a like a better threshold to you? Find that time and get your body used to that first and then add in some tempo. We don't want you trying to survive at the end. You should feel like you worked, but aren't kicked after a normal run.

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll chime in and recommend that you don't neglect strength training/weight lifting. You can research some specific programs online, but it definitely helps.

I'm back on the running grind. Just ran the Shamrock Shuffle 8K here in Chicago over the weekend. Happy with my time, but not happy with my performance if that makes sense. Hoping to get a ten miler in at the end of May before running a half in the summer.

10. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'll pull a better average splits when I get home. I love the frackers purely for the ability to pull the stats and figure stuff out.

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Lol. I neglect running. Not lifting weights.

12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Ha! Fair enough.

13. iam1bearcat

I have terrible allergies get colds from time to time at the beginning of spring and summer. This is one of those years. Probably shouldn't have jogged this morning, definitely didn't help. I'll have to stock up on Claritin.

14. Michael Schmidt Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

I have the allergies issue as well. Claritin no longer works so I have had to move to Allegra-D. If I don't use it during the early spring when pollen counts rise, my eyes water like a high school girl watching the Notebook. Living in the Miami Valley during college messed me up.

15. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Flonase is where it is at. I think it helps prevent allergies as opposed to mask the symptoms.

Snewt and Michael Schmidt like this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

My allergies will usually start to kick in in another 3 weeks or so. Dreading it.

17. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Start taking Flonase right now. I'm telling you it is a life saver.

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

So I don't forget here are my 5 mile split I just ran. First number is the time I crossed that mile. Second is what its calling moving time. There are a couple of big streets I cross so I'd stop for traffic every so often.

1. 7:51.5 / 7:48
    2. 8:35.1 / 8:26
    3. 9:18.4 / 9.15
    4. 8:56.3 / 8:49
    5. 9:39.6 / 9:37
    Total: 44:23 / 43:55

19. Michael Schmidt

Good stuff! I think my earlier post is the idea you are going to want to approach things with. Dial back the early miles a bit and find a pace that works consistently for your body. That may be the mid or high 8's based on the above and just taking a stab at it. What you may find is that you feel slow in the beginning, but that you can actually run for a lot longer and by the time you are done, you won't feel as tired. Probably less heavy breathing when you are done. It just seems like for a normal run you are fighting against more elements than you need. Running is hard enough. No need to create more obstacles for yourself.

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah. I'm curious what my time would be on a flatter course. There is a pretty steep uphill at the middle but also where I start its a pretty good hill I go down so at the end its just this steady climb.

I think the hills probably are doing me some good for my ultimate goal.

21. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

shit didn't know this thread existed. whats everyone use to track their runs? any fellow strava addicts on here i can follow?

22. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Garmin.

23. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

ive been having to cu back on my mileage lately. shin splints and tired calves are wrecking me.. every now and then you just gotta stop and reset.

24. iam1bearcat

Definitely going to pick this up today and see how it works for me.

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

It takes a couple days (read the instructions it better explains) but once it does it's so much better than the pills.

It basically blocks the receptors that cause your body to have an allergic reaction to the pollen.