Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 39

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hey all. Wasnt sure where else to post this. Anyone know a good app to help set out a workout routine for the week?

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yeah, you should fine. It might actually help clear some of your shit up.

3. 5Stories

Regular

Did 6.6 miles and feel great :thumbup:

Supernova and Michael Schmidt like this.
  4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

back to back days gettin lost in the mountains. i love utah

Supernova likes this.
  5. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

Just general cardio or a few different things?

6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Different things. Lifting and running.

7. bedwettingcosmo

i used an app called runtastic or something like that. it was like 5 bucks a month but you told it how many workouts you wanted to do a week and it would set up basic stuff you could do in your house without any equipment. i used it for really mild strength/core training.

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

About 3 years ago (April 2015) I got laid off from a job and decided I'd pick up working out in my free time. Wasn't in dire straights with my health, but had never worked out or run. Picked up P90X because you can do it at home and I was way too shy to go to a gym and I have never looked back since. Now on the days I don't work out I get all pissy. It's weird.

They offer a schedule, but you can modify to your needs. The cardio will kick your ass (Plyometrics specifically) and the strength training will give you structure and guidance. If P90X seems a little intimidating, I recommend P90X3 instead. Still will make you sweat and work hard, but thirty minutes instead of an hour-plus.

9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hmm I did crossfit for the past couple years so I'm definitely used to having my ass kicked, do you HAVE to do it at home?? Can you use it for gym workouts?

Drewski likes this.
  10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeah, absolutely can be done at the gym. I would say it might help to be a little familiar with the videos ahead of time because you don't want to get boxed out of the necessary equipment in the middle of a set, ya know?

11. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I definitely need some structure and a routine of sorts to my strength training. Went to the gym this morning and it went something like, "oh, I think I'll do this now. OH, let me do THIS now....." Basically. I had and idea in mind of what I wanted to do ahead of time at least and repeated that set twice.

I didn't really see a good place to do actual bar-bell dead lifts, so I resorted to single leg kettle bell ones. Think I'll up the weight next time a smidge.

12. Fixed Glitch

The Garmin app is pretty good for keeping track of everything and setting out a plan. It's also free. It does help to have a watch running wise.

oldjersey likes this.
  13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

60-something degrees in NYC right now is a real treat. Was struggling with getting my distance back up and then just went and uncorked a 7 miler at 7:20 pace, which beat my old 10K PR by 2 minutes. Gotta love when that happens.

14. EarthShifts

Trusted

Supposed to be really nice in Massachusetts tomorrow. Planning a run right after work and I can’t wait. I can’t peel myself away from reading the news followed by infuriating comments, and I need some alone time on the trail.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Running is a great (and healthy) stress reliever. It’s great for clearing your head.

5Stories, Drewski and EarthShifts like this.
  16. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Man it's 80 down here in Alabama today and tomorrow so it feels wonderful. I'm taking some time off running currently, but I'm super tempted to go for a short run tomorrow AND I got some new shoes. [Brooks Levitate. Got them for a higher heel/toe drop of 8mm]. Physical therapists said it wouldn't be a bad thing to run some, I'm just trying to play it extra cautious.

But yeah, the weather this week is dooooooope.

17. bedwettingcosmo

wtf. sounds like the west and east switched places from earlier in the winter. its currently 16 degrees in utah with a fresh layer of 6-12 inches of snow..

edit: makes for some epic treks in the mountain though.

Drewski likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone ever take ice baths? I'm thinking of filling up my tub with cold water and ice once or twice a week after activities but I know it'll probably be brutal. I'm icing my ankles/knees almost nightly and it'd probably just be easier to sit in a ice bath a few times a week for 15-20 minutes.

19. bedwettingcosmo

cold baths are usually cold enough for me. used to do them after every run and i thought it made a big difference for recovery. im just too much of a wuss now.

20. bedwettingcosmo

and honestly it sucks for the first 5 minutes but then you get warm its weird.

21. 5Stories

Regular

Isn't there very little evidence that ice baths do anything? Cba with that.

22. Fixed Glitch

It's killing me not being able to run. And it's only been 5 days since the vasectomy.

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Anyone got some pre-race tips (night before and morning of) for me? Running my first race tomorrow (just a 4 miler). I never run in the morning...should I wake up and just start chugging the hell out of water? What do I do with my hands? etc.

24. 5Stories

Regular

Drink as much as you would so you are not thirsty, no more. Have a light breakfast (for me, that's a small bowl of cereal or a piece of toast with marmalade) and leave at least an hour for digestion.

Also good luck and enjoy it!

Drewski likes this.
  25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Thanks! The eating thing is always tough for me because I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. The problem I run into is that my insulin is "active" for 3 hours, so I never run with any insulin active to avoid a dangerous crash. Was thinking of going with a no carb or super low carb breakfast (avocado? eggs?) to avoid having to take any insulin.

5Stories likes this.