Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 37

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Not your typical running article but still found it interesting...

Drewski likes this.
  2. 5Stories

Regular

Barring the national security angle, this story is quite an important reminder about the dangers of using these apps. I used to have all my data public but then I realised just how much personal information someone could gather about me (where I live, work, habits etc). I still have an account but keep it private...

I managed 38 miles last week which is a new record. Just off to do an easy 10 miles, so that should have me reach 115 miles for the month, also a record :-)

I'm raising money for the local hospice as part of my marathon. Tomorrow evening I'm going to a 'prepare for the marathon' event that they are organising. It should be nice to get to meet some of the other runners and get some tips from experts, but I'm not massively looking forward to returning to the hospice itself as it's where my dad died and I'm worried it will bring back all those sad memories.

Drewski and Supernova like this.
  3. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

did my first easy run today after moving to denver. still not all the way acclimated and was gasping half way through haha

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

elevation is sucha banger. its crazy when i get sea level i feel like im running on clouds.

5. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

My awesome girlfriend got me this for my birthday today. What kind of cool shit do I need to know with this bad boy? Does it sync with Strava?

upload_2018-1-31_20-32-24.png

sean_rugy and Supernova like this.
  6. Supernova Jan 31, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 1, 2018)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Nice! Yeah the Garmin app can sync directly with Strava. As soon as you’re done with an activity, it should automatically post to your garmin app and then to strava. I’ve been having to click on my Garmin app after an activity to make it sync(just one click) where as in the past it would upload on its own. Still cake walk.

Drewski and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

ya mine uploads sometimes and other times i have to open the app. garmin has been way dope, still not sure if mine is tracking my HR accurately tho.

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So when you run, are you just using the Garmin app? Gonna set the watch up at work today.

9. bedwettingcosmo

no, the watch has gps so you just run with the watch. i do bring my phone for music tho

10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I have no clue what in the world is going on with this thing and support has hung up on me twice.

11. bedwettingcosmo

wtf is haps dude

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Haha I dunno I’m feeling bamboozled! On my run tonight I ran Strava and Garmin simultaneously. Garmin clocked 4.6m (but the map had me running innnnn the East River) and Strava said 4. Loving the features on the watch, once the GPS sorts itself out I’m gonna love it.

13. 5Stories

Regular

First ever 20 mile run today, would love to say it felt good but it was absolute agony between miles 14-20. Wasn't feeling it today but really pleased with my willpower to get it done, even at a snail's pace for that final stretch.

14. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Nice man! How many more do you have planned?

5Stories likes this.
  15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Whenever my run is sucking ass and I'm slowing down, I just think "hey, I'm lapping everyone on the couch." Cheesy, but always motivates me.

16. 5Stories

Regular

I just counted that I still have 10 weeks until the marathon (more than I thought!). Going to try and fit in one long run each week, but I think they will normally be in the more manageable 12-18 mile range! I am very very achey this evening, not experienced this for a while.

17. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

foot.jpg

After going to the orthopedic doc on Monday which he gave me some anti inflammatory pills, I went to physical therapy today for my achilles "tendentious". He did an ultrasound on it, as well as hooked up this "ion blaster" for 10 or so minutes. Don't honestly remember what it was called, but it stung a bit. Seems to feel better after. Going back for 3 more visits for now. Instructed to do some stretching of my gastrocnemius and more specifically soleus muscles daily. I will implement a better stretching routine before runs and after. He also said increasing the drop in my shoes with heel inserts and getting into higher drop shoes to some extent slowly. The lower the drop, the more stress is on the achilles. So I have gel heel inserts in these Altras currently. I'll run in them like this tomorrow to see how they feel. He also said I might introduce some slight arch support since I have a neutral foot position but a higher arch. He didn't say not to run. Just to do these other things, cross train with biking and swimming, and do some various strength training for your legs along with my running.

Just running things.

18. bedwettingcosmo

yeh when i got my first pair of altras tehy said to run in them like every other third or fourth run for a while since the zero drop can mess you up until your foot adapts

Supernova likes this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

What kind of goal do you have for the marathon? I would suggest doing a 22 or 23 mile run at least if you are going for a specific time. The 20-mile runs are really important.

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Shit, for real? Have a pair of Torin 3's arriving tomorrow.

21. bedwettingcosmo

thats what they said at the running store when i bought em. i didn't really heed the advice and don't remember having too many problems. everyone is different though.

22. Michael Schmidt

What kind of shoes are you running in now? Everyone has a different foot and can handle pounding differently (obviously), but if you are used to heavily cushioned shoes, easing in to the "less is more" type of footwear is a good idea. It's similar to when the Vibrams were trendy and people were complaining of aches and pains. You gotta transition into it, especially if you are prone to injuries or not running consistently.

23. Michael Schmidt

Also, if you have shoes for someone who pronates, you may have some issues going from that to something that does not provide that support. If you are someone with a neutral strike and have run in flats and spikes, your transition will likely be pretty easy.

24. 5Stories

Regular

It's my first marathon so I'd be very happy with sub 4.20 so nothing extraordinary. And to finish in one piece.

25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I have a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 17's. They are wornnnnn down. Bottom of shoe by the toe basically non-existent.

Michael Schmidt likes this.