Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 30

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I do not see how anyone enjoys running hungover. It's not good running and usually ends with runs being cut short. As someone who finished their training for their first marathon in college, I did plenty of long runs hungover and it doesn't work great.

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i dunno, when i am i feel a bit numb and usually run faster.

3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I've signed up for 2 5k's on Saturday. Pretty sure it's going to be low 40's high 30's with rain on my morning one which is going to be no fun. Prob going to PR one of these I hope.

I'm having some surgery on Nov 2nd for sports hernia, so I'm going to be out of running for a month or so. Sucks i'll be missing out on some of the cool fall trail runs and whatnot as the leaves change, but I'm wanting to get this thing taken care of sooner rather than me wait and it get worse and cause a real problem.

4. bedwettingcosmo

good luck in recovery man. i need to def do more racing

Supernova likes this.
  5. Supernova

I did pretty well on my two races on Saturday. At the 8am 5k It was chilly and rainy. Did 21:50 with a 1st in the age group of 2; 15th overall. Not my fastest. At 5:30pm I cranked out a 21:02 6:46/mile on a colder, but dryer, and not quite as hilly course. PR'd that one. However this one was about 70/30 packed small gravel vs road. 2nd in age group out of 12, but medaled for 1st. 17th overall. The top 3 overall were 15:17, 15:43, and 17:27. Those top 2 were from another freaking planet. The medal for the PM race is cool as hell just check my Stava for a pic if you care.

So damn close to crackin' into the 20's. I have it in me and it will come(should have happened last night but I struggle when I hit a wall and tend not to push through it. I am weak). My goal for 2018 is 19:59. Back in June when I did my first 5k official I was 24:33 or so, then August 5th I was 22:38. And now practically 21m flat. I'd say I'm happy with those results.

6. Michael Schmidt

Fuck yeah man keep it up. You’ll get sub-20 for sure. That’s sick you did two 5k races in one day. I’ve never had that opportunity. Would be interesting if not bizarre haha.

Supernova and dylan like this.
  7. drewinseries

Drew

I'm not a runner, but my girlfriend is and last year she did the Boston Marathon and raised 10k for the company I work for, certainly invigorates me to push harder in my difficult field (cancer research). She's doing it again this year and I am super proud, it will be her third marathon.

Michael Schmidt and dylan like this.
  8. Supernova

It's happened twice so far. Just worked out conveniently with being off on a couple random Saturdays and then having two different close towns host a 5k one being AM and one PM. It helps get you out if you know others in your running club or friends are doing both as well. A nap was required in between both. No doubt though, I was a bit sore on Sunday. Fun stuff.

9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Set out tonight to get a new 10K PR and got it. Feels good, man.

upload_2017-11-1_22-52-37.png

Supernova, dylan and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  10. bedwettingcosmo

damn i wanna run on the beach every day.

ChiliTacos, Drewski and dylan like this.
  11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Where I live (and a bunch of what's pictured in that 10K run map) is the West End of Long Beach, NY. It's the thinnest point of the barrier island, so from the ocean to the bay is only about 0.4 miles. The boardwalk (which I didn't run last night) is 2.2 miles ended to end, and the front door of my house to the end of the boardwalk and back is a perfect 5.1 miles.

I've actually never run on the sand itself...looks too painful haha. Sadly I'm moving soon but it was a great 5 years. Here's a boardwalk photo dump:

12. bedwettingcosmo

wait it snows on the ocean? haha. i'm such a landlocked noob. that looks dope tho

13. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

It definitely snows a lot in New York haha.

14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeah, keep in mind this is Long Island/New York. Good amount of snow in the winter.

Similar shot from a different winter:

And the sun sets over the bay in the summer, but it sets over the ocean in the winter so you get bizarre scenes like this sunset on a snow-covered beach:

sean_rugy likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

snowy beach sounds terrifying to me. i've only ever seen the west coast.

anyway, nice to put a face to the strava accounts i follow. keep on keepin on

16. 5Stories

Regular

I finally beat my 5k time the other day (23:43) and I don't think it's a coincidence that this month is my highest mileage ever (90 miles). This is also already the most miles I've done in a year as well (647 miles and counting). I'm feeling in really good shape. I'm doing my first marathon in April and my best friend who I run with beats me in every race/distance. I'm used to it but secretly very competitive haha. Anyway, his times for 5k, 10k, half marathon are on another level to me, but his marathon time is 4:04 and I think with a lot of really hard work I can beat that (my half marathon time is 1:55), so that's my goal!

17. Supernova Nov 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 2, 2017)
    Supernova

The guy in my running club that we challenge each other and link up to run a lot has beat me on each 5k, but I’ve got him on both 15ks we’ve done by a fair margin. Granted I’m 31 and he’s 48. Last 5k he had me by 3 seconds. He knows it’s coming when I surpass him on the 5k haha. I love the competition.

Good luck with your marathon training. That’s what I’ve got to work toward next year as well.

(Side note: I had my surgery today and it went fine. A little sore but I’ll be good. I’m currently waiting in the parking lot on my mom to drop off percription at Target and bring me chocolate Zico coconut water haha)

Drewski, Michael Schmidt and 5Stories like this.
  18. Michael Schmidt

Hell ya man! I have run a few marathons myself and have paced for several. If there is anything I can do to help you or be a resource just let me know. Which marathon are you doing?

5Stories likes this.
  19. 5Stories

Regular

Thanks! I'm doing the London marathon. I've applied many times before in the public ballot and never got a place. This time I managed to get a charity place to raise money for the local hospice which took care of my dad.

dylan and Michael Schmidt like this.
  20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

2nd place finish last week in the Chorus running group. Was still 16 miles behind @bedwettingcosmo but it's a start, okay.

Supernova likes this.
  21. bedwettingcosmo

i didn't know this was a thing since im always on mobile haha. thats dope!

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeah, I saw it via the app. Love me a silver medal.

23. 5Stories

Regular

Did my longest ever run today, 14.5 miles! Felt pretty relaxed.

24. EarthShifts

Trusted

For the past few years my main running route has been a trail system around the pond by my apartment. It's actually become a pretty special place for me.

I just bought a house in a different town though. I have to go back to grab some stuff from my apartment today so I'm gonna get one last regular run in there. I feel weird being sad about it. In the future I'm sure I'll still occasionally make the drive to go there, but it'll be different to not have it so close.

dylan and Supernova like this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo

kinda funny how we get so attached to our running routes. been doing the same 4 or 5 since i moved into my current place 5 years or so ago.

dylan and EarthShifts like this.