Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 29

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Some of my favorite music to run to (especially on long runs in the early go) is classical. I also like some hip hop and moodier music on the middle miles. For tempo/speed/fartlek runs I like hardcore, punk, and metal.

Supernova likes this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i just listen to rap and every time i die

GrantCloud likes this.
  3. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I'm weird and listen to podcasts mostly. I find myself counting songs and calculating how how long I've been running otherwise.

Supernova likes this.
  4. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Today was the new Circa Survive album for me. Kinda blended together..... *shrug*. I’m sure I’ll come to love it though.

Usually it’s whatever is new I want to check out as long as I’m not going for speed.

Edit: also podcasts. Good for long runs.

5. Supernova

Had a tough 15k trail race last Saturday that really made me sore for a few days after. A good sore, but sore. I think I placed well. Some tough comp in my age group in the area that I was in. 5th out of 10 age group. 14th of 53 overall. 1:28:34 9:31 per mile pace.

This Saturday I have a 15k road race that I'm pretty excited for that I feel I will do well in.

Now for some bad news if you want to read my sob story; I have a small hernia. I'm pretty sure I've been feeling something off for 2 or so weeks, but I really could tell after(and maybe during) my 15k trail race last weekend. It's never really "hurt" exactly, but been unconformable. Every foot strike is like, "oh hey there it is again". I went to the doctor about it yesterday and he told me that's what was going on. He said it's possible for these to heal themselves, but I need to take it easy for awhile. Surgery is also an option sooner rather than later if it doesn't heal up.

I didn't like to hear the phrase, "you need to take it easy". I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Never expected an injury like this to happen to me. I don't know if it will affect my running just in the short term, or the long term, or both. I haven't done really any Googling of hernias as I'm a little anxious to read about it. Needless to say I probably better not run my 15k tomorrow.

I'm curious if this was from going "too much too soon" with the amount I've been running. Or maybe it's a freak thing.

5Stories likes this.
  6. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

How did I only just now discover a running thread?!

Michael Schmidt and sean_rugy like this.
  7. sean_rugy

Strava group too if you use that for run tracking.

Chris Prindle likes this.
  8. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I grew up running without technology and have tried the trackers but notice myself being distracted more, and can't even listen to music (which is odd cause I'm ALWAYS listening to something). Thanks though :)

9. 5Stories

Regular

Got a place in the London Marathon next year, to raise money for the local hospice that looked after my dad. It will be my first marathon having done 11 half marathons, so I'm looking forward to a new goal and raising money for an amazing cause.

Supernova and Michael Schmidt like this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

20 mile warm up to run a 10k race.

5Stories likes this.
  11. Supernova

[​IMG]

Even with a sports hernia I said screw it and did my race anyway. Finished my first 15k road race. Placed 2/6 in my 30-34 age group(medaled for 1st). 6th over all out of 104. 4th male. I had a 7:52/mile avg pace at 1:13:12. 3rd place male was 1:13:04. 8 seconds.

Being so close sucks bad. You wish the person ahead of you blew your doors off. Hindsight is 20/20 but in the moment I was probably 95-98% effort and that's all I did at that given time. Or something. Always give that little bit extra.

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone ever tear their bursa sac by their knee? I was running Sunday at a full sprint while playing baseball and went to go dive for a ball, but at the last second noticed something in my way, so did this awkward slide/dive and pretty much jammed my left knee straight into the ground on a dead sprint.

It's been swollen since Sunday. It doesn't really hurt much to be honest. I can still bend, twist, extend, squat like normal, but I do feel a bit discomfort/pain if I try and run or move fast or jump or walking up stairs. I've been icing like crazy (20 min on, 20 min off 4-5 times a day since Sunday) but the swelling doesn't seem to be going down.

I showed a guy I work with today and he thinks I tore my bursa sac but thinks it'd be better in a week. The swelling isn't significant, but definitely noticeable. Obviously, he's not a doctor, but was wondering if any of you have experienced this or other types of swelling in your knees and what you did to treat it. I'm also taking a ton of Motrin each day.

13. Michael Schmidt

Assuming knee bursitis is the diagnosis, I would just rest and avoid excessive bending of the knee cap as much as possible. Typically, that injury is one of overuse, but a quick blow can cause that inflammation. Obviously, you have to go to work, but maybe try to cut down how much you have to walk around. Try to find something to elevate your knee so it can just stretch out and relax. It's really an injury of time. Just be smart about what you do. Avoid unnecessary stress. Your body is telling you quick bursts and sprints hurt right now so don't do it. Maybe put the home projects off that require bending and kneeling. You're already doing some of the other self-care options.

ncarrab likes this.
  14. Supernova

Been using my Apple Watch S2 to track my runs with the Strava app. It’s fine 95% of the time it seems but when I need it on race day it seems to bonk with missing mileage or not starting right when I want.

So now I have a Garmin Forerunner 935. It’s apparentlly the gospel. I’ll use it tomorrow to see how cool it is.

15. bedwettingcosmo

i run with my phone in my hand and listen to music/trakc on strava haha. i need a garmin bad

16. Michael Schmidt

I could never do that. Less things on me/to carry the better. I picked up the Airpods and might try those with my watch to see how that works.

17. EarthShifts

Trusted

Just found this thread! Very excited.

This years been a down year for me running wise, but I've been ramping it back up this week. Feels great. I'm moving in a week so I'm gonna have to find some new trails, which I'm a bit nervous about but hopefully they're fun.

Supernova likes this.
  18. bedwettingcosmo

im like running

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

What are you all running from?

I assume this thread is for a metaphorical kind of running.

Zoshchenko likes this.
  20. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

My problems

21. bedwettingcosmo

does anyone else run super good when they hungover

22. Supernova

I've never ran hungover. I've never been hungover. true story

23. bedwettingcosmo

fuck what a time to be alive

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I love the feeling of running after a night of drinking.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  25. sean_rugy

Depends on how hungover I am.

Thinking about picking up a pair of Altra Escalante's in the very near future. I've seen people rec Altra's before, anyone have this particular shoe?