Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 28

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I'm in dire need of new shoes for sure. My ASICS Gel Nimbus 17's have like 400 miles on them...eek.

sean_rugy likes this.
  2. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

My shoes came in right when I was leaving for work. I get to try them out tomorrow morning :D

3. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

If you live close to Road Runner you can get their program for $2.99 online. They tend to have outlet sales with slightly worn shoes.

Just make sure you end it before the year ends. Easy to do on the phone.

4. Supernova

I don't think they are anywhere near me. REI so far has had some deals that I've taken advantage of.

Did 5.4 this morning in Hoka Clifton 3's....... I didn't know shoes could be this cushy! I didn't have any joint pain anywhere today and I usually feel at least something at that mileage; at least in the Brooks Glycerin 14s I was using. Granted they had 250+ miles, which should be fine, but I think they were feeling a bit dead.

5. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

Sounds like you're making good progress! If you need some reading material I definitely recommend a primer on training like Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 Running. Lots of easy mileage will make way more of a difference than really hard quality sessions, which is the major difference from sprint training.

Supernova likes this.
  6. Supernova

Good tip on the book. I may check that one out. I read about a/the 80/20 "rule" and have been trying to stick to that kind of training routine. Would like to read into it more for some deeper analysis.

7. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

It's good to learn about it as early as possible and figure out how to balance your training and recovery correctly. It leads to much more sustainable training, not to mention enjoyable and effective.

8. Supernova

So I bought some Torins 2.5 online($68 shipped. boss deal) so I'll have something to alternate to and from. I don't think I'll wear my Brooks again unless is rainy out. I saw a lot of reviews say you needed to go up a half size from what you normally wear. So, I normally fit a 9.5 for a normal shoe, but I've done 10s on both running pairs I've had and been gtg with a bit of room to move for the downhills. This leads me to buying a 10.5 in the Torins. Think that was fine going to the 10.5 instead of the 10? Lend me your wisdom Altra master. Or don't. (but please do before it ships and the sale ends).

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i love the torins because they have a big toe box and i actually went a full size up then what i normally wear, although i think what i used to normally wear may have been a bit to small. i'd say your pretty safe going a half size up what your normally wear.

Supernova likes this.
  10. Supernova

Good deal. Pretty sure the sizing will be fine as well, and REI has a great return policy even if you put some gentle miles on them. Excited to try them out on a gentle run.

11. bedwettingcosmo

lemme know how they go

12. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Hope y'all are killing it and doing well!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  13. bedwettingcosmo

my foot hurts

14. bobby_runs

I stepped on a nail at work. Oddly running has helped me get over the pain a lot quicker

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Really bummed that the local running store I shop at in Chicago is closing. Kind of dreading having to go to a Fleet Feet. I mean, it could be a lot worse, but I have just never really been a fan of that chain. I'm going to miss my Monday running group.

16. bedwettingcosmo

thats a fuckin bummer, sorry dude

17. Michael Schmidt

I think the Fleet Feets are fine in more suburbia settings where people will often go to big box chains and not get the advice they need. But in the city, Fleet Feet has a presence in every neighborhood for the most part and have sort monopolized the market. It's definitely a bummer. I've been trying to do less online shopping and make it a point to give money to stores I support, so it sucks to see a good one go down.

18. bedwettingcosmo

never heard of fleet feet tbh. we have a pretty dope local running store here and the altra outlet is local so i'm set.

also, run altra forever.

19. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

20. Supernova Sep 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 13, 2017)
    Supernova

Good read. You, sir, are an inspiration; even if you "bonked" it on a personal level. Of course though, very nice job. Great time no matter!

I felt the same way the last 2 5k's I did. "I'm a worthless piece of meat why did I even do this?" towards the end of the race. I guess that's just running competivelly?

Next year I'll be going for a marathon and I'll think back to this report.

21. bedwettingcosmo

Trent Gill likes this.
  22. Michael Schmidt

Trent Gill likes this.
  23. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

Thanks! I know it's somewhat egotistic to be narrowly obsessed with the goal of qualifying for Boston, but to come this close and not get it really hurts.

Good luck on marathon training. It'll be quite the experience!

Thanks man. I definitely have a lot of mixed emotions. I know that it's a race to be proud of, but I can't help but obsess over that Boston qualifier.

Thanks! Sounds like we're in the same boat, so you definitely can relate. I'm still afraid of the marathon, but as my training has gotten better it is less of a mountain to climb than it once was. One day, we'll both get that qualifier.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  24. bobby_runs

Ran in England the other day. Today was Glasgow along the Clyde. Loved it.

Supernova likes this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo

super overcast and rainy and cold today. can't wait to go out!