Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 24

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I train with headphones. Specifically wired Yurbuds and a 2nd gen iPod shuffle. So really small all around. But I tend to skip around songs a lot so for that reason I don't race with headphones. A little bit of safety and I also like to soak in the atmosphere.
    Road Runner has some 5 and 3 inch options with storage for a phone. I have a couple of pairs that are great in that sense. Some Nike shorts also have pockets on both sides but those tend to be a bit longer inseam

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  2. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Joined the local runners club a week ago or so. Met up today for the 1st time to do a training run for the big 5k that takes place in town on August 5th(Woodstock 5k). It was pouring down rain 70% of the time, and steady rain for the rest of it. The first 2miles were mostly running through deep street streams of water and puddles. Some of us turned around at the end and ran it again backwards; still raining.

It was great.

3. bobby_runs

Now that I have multiple pairs of shoes I love running in the rain. But then again we rarely get warm rain in SD

4. Kaduck

Regular

Actually been sticking with running this year. Started the last couple of years, but never was able to stick with it. Have some running partners this year, which makes it so much easier to stick with. Wish I had running club around here to join. Never been one to listen to anything when I run. I just enjoy getting lost in my thoughts. Also got a new pair of shoes two weeks back, Asics Gel Quantum 360's, in blue. Loving those at the moment. A bit pricey, but I've always bought higher end shoes because that's the only protection we have in our sport really. And sunscreen!

Supernova and Michael Schmidt like this.
  5. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I'm running the Tough Mudder this upcoming Saturday. Has anyone done this before?

6. bobby_runs

I have not

7. bobby_runs

I've got a half next month.

Then a full marathon in January and June of next year. Seeing how quick I can go from 3:27 to sub 3:05

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I know quite a few that have done it. My understanding from folks that have done it is that it's more obstacle focused than running, whereas the Spartan and Warrior Dash tend to be more about the running in terms of performing well. I know they are kind of trendy, but I like that these events exist. Not everyone is fine with just running so it's cool there are other active events out there. Have you been training for the TM or just saying fuck it?

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I've done two. One in Temecula, CA and most recently one in Sacramento, CA. They are a lot of fun. They can be super tough depending on the terrain. Temecula was hot and very hilly. Sac was flat the entire way. Just keep in mind that its not a run/race. You can run it, but it'll mostly be more of a hike. What one are you doing?

10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I live in SD too! What fulls are you running? I've been looking into halfs and fulls to start training for.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Anyone watch 1 Mile to You on Netflix? Interesting story and the main character is a beast. Acting/character development is shotty and the dude literally trains/races in his dead friends racing spikes, but its still a decent running movie i thought.

12. bobby_runs

AFC Half
    Carlsbad Full
    Rock N Roll SD Full

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Nice. AFC seems cool. Starting at the Cabrillo National Monument is a great idea. Beautiful views.

Not sure how I'm feeling about the Carlsbad half course being an out and back though haha. Those can be rough.

14. Supernova Jul 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 13, 2017)
    Supernova

Did a couple of night time/full moon dirt road runs last week with my club. First one was 10.5 miles and the next was 8 miles. Super fun and most people in the group just did the 6.2, but me and 3 others went further. Both times were def tough as the elevation gain was around 1000ft and I'm not used to running off road. I used a pair of my Solomon hiking shoes and they worked "okay", but they are heavy and my right knee and feet were hurting afterwords. I ordered some Brooks Cascadia 12 trail running shoes so I can use those on the next off road run we do.

15. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

sweet, i been doin trails for a lil bit now too. i need to buy me some trail shoes.

Supernova likes this.
  16. Supernova

I can't wait to do some through the woods stuff on actual trails.

17. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

I've been out of it for about 2-3 weeks and it's fucking hot as hell out by the time i get home from the gym and am able to go run. my endurance and pace is fuuuuucked right now :(

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I've been running only in the mornings because of the heat.

19. Supernova

I did some interval runs today around 11am in the direct sunlight around 85 degrees or so. Needless to say I didn't go as hard or as long as I wanted to. Usually my runs are in the evening.

I did a refreshing 9 miles continuous on Sunday which was my longest continuous yet. I think i'm going to sign up for a half in September.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  20. Supernova

Trent Gill, bedwettingcosmo and dylan like this.
  21. bobby_runs

I don't have the luxury of running in the morning. Have to hit the road before 6 am. It sucks. A lot.

Most days I make it through my runs alright (dehydrated for sure after) but last Thursday I had to cancel my half-marathon pace workout as soon as I wrapped up the warm-up. I could feel the effort but my pace was an actual 20 seconds off. Decided to no risk injury and just ran to get the miles in on my run. Threw in a few fast segments but nothing maintained.

I did do some Yasso 800s earlier in the week. Complete 6 with relative ease at an average of 2:55 per 800. So 2:55 full in the horizon? Maybe if I can maintain that pace for 10 800s

22. bedwettingcosmo

23. Supernova

Searched "strava" in this thread to see if anybody posted anything and you posted your profile way back in the thread.

24. bedwettingcosmo

cool man. stay on strava. its the best

Supernova likes this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo