Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 23

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Went for my first run in a while today. Only did a couple miles, but it felt good to get back out there.

2. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

but does anyone have any experience with a sprained toe? it is actually feeling pretty good right now, im able to bend it and put weight on it. it only gets agitated when i try to slip on a shoe and it gets jammed a little. it is still as bruised as the first day though. i have been taking aleve every twelve hours and taped it to the next toe to relieve some pressure as i think that is all i can do for now. i guess im just wondering when i can expect to start more aggressive cardio like running?

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Probably not good to mess with it because that constant pounding and the fact your feet already swell during a run would work against healing properly. Assuming you don't work at home, I would say that walking is all you would want to do. You could probably cycle on a machine. If you tend to tolerate pain and really don't care about it fully healing you could go out there once you feel like it's possible.

Is the bruising on the nail portion or the actual toe on the side/bottom?

4. Supernova Jun 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2017)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Did my longest run yesterday. Maybe not impressive for a lot of runners, but for me I'm proud of the progress.

7.11 miles in 1h:07m:54s. 9:33 avg pace. I looked at my 10k time and it was 58:56.

Also did my fastest 5k time last week at 26:08.

Going to start pushing harder to go longer and faster since I tend to just go at a leasurly pace every time.

(The new Paramore album has been a go to motivator)

*also registerd for my first 5k(a nighttime 5k) on the 24th AND another one in August. Excited to say the least.

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Going harder all the time isn't the best thing though. Most of your miles should be at the leaisurely pace

6. Michael Schmidt

It depends what you are trying to get accomplished, but if your goal is to get faster in road races or more distance stuff (like halves and fulls), you do need to push the heart rate and the body. There's no way around it. That's why tempo and fartlek runs are so revered in training programs. As long as Nova's body is recovering fine and he doesn't feel like he's at race pace, I say keep stretching the pace and distance. Nova could very easily have been selling his runs short for a while. We don't know. It's better to find that true sweet spot for working but not racing with training runs. The body adapts to being pushed and to complacency.

Supernova likes this.
  7. Supernova Jun 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2017)
    Supernova

I didn't mean burning out every run from here on out or anything. That wouldn't be enjoyable. More like working up to a faster pace. Bad wording on my part in the first post.

8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Well tomorrow I'm starting a 5k training plan that garmin offers. Hopefully I get my run times up.

Anyone else use Garmin Connect to track their runs? I was thinking of making a Chorus.fm group if so.

9. Michael Schmidt

I used it for a little bit, but I am currently trying the Apple Watch to see what it's like.

10. bobby_runs

I have a Forerunner 220 and a Vivofit 3. Wear both during my runs. Obviously the watch is better. But I kinda like the App. Not the best but why bother with anything else

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I have the 620. I guess I meant it more for running. Don't really count steps much.

12. Michael Schmidt

I don't count steps either.

13. bobby_runs

IMG_1345.PNG IMG_1346.PNG IMG_1347.PNG IMG_1348.PNG IMG_1349.PNG IMG_1350.PNG
    Here's what it looks like for me. With the Vivofit and then the forerunner

14. Supernova

When doing actual timed events, do you personally opt to wear headphones or go without?

Just curious. I'm doing my first official 5k at 8pm tonight and debating to wear or not.

15. Michael Schmidt

I would go with whatever is most comfortable and what you've been doing in training. When it comes to race day you want as few surprises or changes as possible.

16. Supernova

Of course; that makes sense. But do YOU listen to music during an official race?

17. Michael Schmidt

I do not listen to music when I run. That's just how I started as a kid. It's also because for a long time you had to have something to play music, a band to hold the player, and headphones with wires. That's just too much for me. It's better now I will admit. I am curious about the Apple Watch and AirPods and no phone. That's the kind of setup it would take for me to do the music while running thing.

Supernova likes this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've started to run a lot less with no headphones/music. I started this last year because I didn't want to have them in when I did my first half so I could enjoy the crowd and the whole race atmosphere.

Supernova likes this.
  19. Supernova

I tend to listen to music(sometimes podcast) while I run. It let's me catch up on some new albums and keeps my mind occupied instead of thinking about my heavy breathing or normal discomforts of running. It is relaxing to go without sometimes as well.

I've got music on my watch now and want to add more. You have to make a playlist on your phone then sync to the watch while it's charging so it's difficult to do if you're not at home; so you want to plan ahead. Apple Watch has 2gb storage so you can store a good deal in advance. BUT, with the combo of music on watch and my amazing Plantronics backbeat Fit headphones it's very comfortable and light weight. I put my phone in my back small zip pocket on my shorts and it doesn't move if I do take it with me.

To each their own.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

Weird question, but what kind of shorts do you run in? I ask because I can't fit my phone in my running shorts. I also tend to wear not the shortest shorts but closer to that end and all you have is a key pocket. When it comes to gear (aside from a watch) I tend to be more on the minimalist end of things. I don't want extra things bouncing around or making me uncomfortable.

The main thing is to find a system/process that works for you. Whatever allows you to feel comfortable on the road is a good thing.

Supernova likes this.
  21. Supernova

The shorts I use are Arcteryx Adan 7" inseam. They are of the lined variety and are a bit snug in that area, but they..... hold everything in place. I wear compression style underwear under that and am good to go. The only pocket is the zippered one in the back and it barely holds my naked iPhone 7(a plus wouldn't work at all), but it works fine for that. Doesn't bounce around.

Arc'teryx Adan Shorts - Men's

I'm probably going to try these Patagonia Nine Trail unlined shorts here soon to see how these are. Since i wear some SAXX compression shorts, I think they may do the job well enough that I can go unlined. And I want another pair to swap in and out anyway. These have side pockets as well, but I'm with you, I take as little as necessary with me.

Patagonia Nine Trails Unlined Shorts - Men's 6

I'm a sucker for these high end "outdoorsie" brands. I can spend hours in an REI no problem....

22. Supernova Jun 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2017)
    Supernova

Double post: also finished 2nd in my age group(30-34) tonight on my 5k. 24:31 which is my PR. This course had some hills in it as well, and I'm not use to hills on my regular runs. I was only 7 seconds behind 1st in my group which in hindsight, I could have got that with minimal extra effort(urgg). The next guy behind me was like 48mins(only 3 in my age group). 31st overall out of 206. All ages, but mostly 20-60 year olds. My one friend had me beat by 15s, and I beat my other friend by around 35s.

I like talking about stats when it come to this, and I get extra competitive thinking about it. Makes me work at it more and harder.

23. Michael Schmidt

Congrats on the pr! That alone makes it worth the cost to race. I'm not sure where you live, but mixing in hills if possible will really help your running from a form and endurance standpoint.

Supernova likes this.
  24. Supernova Jun 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2017)
    Supernova

Yeah I haven't really mixed it up on where I run regularly, but I'll be changing that up this week. I have to drive to all of them since I don't like running down the roads by my house. Have a few recommended places and ideas on where to go that are still safe, and still scenic, some hills.

25. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

ran a 5k last year for the first time in my life. in fact, before last year i had never ran more than a mile straight. after the 5k (in july) i pretty much slacked and didn't really run much the rest of the year. the problem was that the 5k was my motivation, and once i had completed it, i struggled to find motivation.

i signed up for the same 5k again this year, but i also signed up for a 10k in september. i'm excited because i think that'll be the push i need to keep going. i don't want the same thing to happen to me this year that happened last year.

GrantCloud and Supernova like this.