Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Running • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Henry, Mar 10, 2016.

1. falafelmywaffle

Without music, life would be a mistake. Supporter

Great products, but at the same time they're kind of like Apple. Everyone knows the brand and will only use their products and are afraid to change.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I used a Fitbit with my wife while I was deployed. It was an activity 'we could do together'. But her's broke eventually so I stopped using it. I realized my iPhone is one and so we don't get the point of them
    Anymore.

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Absolutely. I haven't kept up with the technology, which probably is not the best approach, but I just haven't had something like that high on my priority list.

4. Michael Schmidt

I've just started experimenting with music while running. For a while I had a get off my lawn approach to the idea. There are some benefits I have to concede.

5. falafelmywaffle

That's true, people love competing against friends/family and it's easy to do when most people have some sort of FitBit product. Sorry if I sound like I'm hardcore FitBit bashing haha. Only real difference between tracking your runs with your phone and having a GPS watch is the accuracy. GPS watches connect right to satellites where as phone GPS' are less accurate in terms of recording your speed and distance.

6. falafelmywaffle

Haha I tried running with music while I was in HS, but it just wasn't for me. The TomTom Spark I have has a music feature. It can hold ~3gb of music, all you need is bluetooth headphones.

7. AJ Earhart

get off my case

I run with a little iPod shuffle that I just clip to my shorts. Definitely can't do anything attached to my arm.

8. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

Oh, maybe this thread will keep me on top of my running routine this spring/summer. Really put it on the back burner this winter and focused a lot more on weight training, but went for my first run of the season a couple days ago.

I've got some nagging knee problems from a basketball injury a couple years back and last year made the switch to the Nike Lunarglide 6, which I loved. Gave me so much more support without feeling like I was running with bricks on my feet.

[​IMG]

Have two different pairs, but I think I may treat myself to the 7s in the next couple weeks.

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yes, finally a running thread. I've been a runner since the beginning of middle school, and was on the track team every year through the end of college. Was a sprinter, so 100m, 200m, 4x100, etc. In college we had an indoor season, so added the 60m dash as well. Since college I've transitioned to doing 5K race, and to help with training I'm part of two different running clubs here in Minneapolis, one of which runs all year long, so this past winter was actually my first running outside all the way through. Still had days I'd run inside on the treadmill, mainly for speed work (4 miles at a faster pace than the usual 5 miles at a slower pace), but mostly have been outside. Club meets every week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, with one Wednesday a month we go from/to a local brewery, and then one Saturday a month a group long run. Both clubs are free, which has been awesome, both to keep up my running with and meet a bunch of new people.

In terms of shoes, I've mainly been an Asics guy my whole running career so far. Going to really delve into trail running this summer, with these shoes below I'll be getting soon

[​IMG]

MEN’S ULTRA MT GORE-TEX® | United States

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  10. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Being that the weather is starting to get nicer out, I plan on going for some runs outdoors. What are some of your favorite songs that give you that extra push when running or just get you amped up?

One of my all time favorites is

Underoath - Reinventing Your Exit

11. falafelmywaffle

Michael Schmidt and Chris Yates like this.
  12. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

definitely, didn't know about this, thanks

13. falafelmywaffle

Yeah it's definitely cool to have a place to talk about running, not much of that over on the old site

Bayside 182 likes this.
  14. Night Channels

Trusted

Future - March Madness

15. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Awesome there is a running thread. I just signed up for this forum after being on AP for a while and this has alot more areas of discussion and it seems like people are nicer too. As far as running goes I'm currently digging the Saucony Kinvara 5 and need my Nike Tom Tom GPS watch. I actually like the look of it as an actual watch too and wear it out sometimes when I'm not even running. Wish they didn't discontinue it.

16. Michael Schmidt Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Hello to all of the new posters in here! Glad to see there is more interest coming through. Hopefully as more people join and get acquainted some females join in the discussion as well. I am pleasantly surprised to see some really knowledgeable runners in the community in a short time. Hopefully that means good discussion and some new runners looking for some advice.

Chris Yates likes this.
  17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

:heart:

18. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

ive got the garmin forerunner 220

Brenden likes this.
  19. I hate running but I'm trying to get myself into it more. I was able to hit 3 miles on Tuesday but only 1.5 today. it doesn't help that I've had the same shoes for over a year and I also use them for basketball because I'm poor haha.

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Doing a speed workout today on the treadmill after work; instead of the usual 5 miles I'll do a quicker 4

21. Michael Schmidt

How do you like speed work on the treadmill? That does not sound fun to me and figuring out how much to adjust the speed by sounds awful to me haha.

22. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

I took 3 months off and now I'm trying to get back into shape for a spring race.

Not recommended.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Well essentially I just up the pace a bit on the speed indicator; so instead of like 7.8, I'll set it at 8.1 or 8.2 or something, hoping I can sustain it the 4 miles. Don't really change speeds; just try to keep the same pace, a faster pace, for the 4 miles. I'm trying to get better of 5K's, so hoping this helps

24. dtbjerke

Regular Supporter

I've always run in Nike shoes and I've been attached to the LunarGlide model for a while now. Picked up these LunarGlide 7s in August

[​IMG]
    I've really picked up my running this year. 100mi in Jan, 125mi in Feb and 140mi in March. I'm especially happy about the 100 miles in January since I live in Chicago and every single one of those miles was outdoors. Looking forward to checking in on this thread!

25. Michael Schmidt

Interesting. I guess being in MN you have to get a little creative due to the weather, but I would think your track background would be good for speed workouts on a track. There are some cool workouts you can do for that.

Honestly, my biggest recommendation for improving anyone's 5K time would be to progressively increase your mileage. Your base will begin to expand, your body will become stronger, and you will naturally drop time. As your mileage builds up, throw in some tempo workouts and track workouts. Maintain your core and hip exercises and you will be rolling. That sounds like a lot, but it's a progression and you sound like you have a good start and people to run with.