Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Royal Blood Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by LuigiPeppercorn, Jun 3, 2016.

1. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Royal Blood are an English rock duo formed in Brighton, East Sussex, in 2013. The band's sound is reminiscent of and rooted in modern blues rock, hard rock, garage rock and psychedelic rock. Their first album Royal Blood was released in August 2014.

I've been listening to their record and other singles a lot lately. I find it amazing how they got the record to sound the way they did with just a bass and drums. Really fascinating stuff

KidLightning and Awksome like this.
  3. StoJa9

Regular

New single SHREDS

KidLightning likes this.
  4. StoJa9

Regular

It makes me irrationally upset that this thread is four posts deep and there's ZERO stories of them on the main page.

5. I thought they were much bigger/popular than the attention they get around here. They are - right?

StoJa9 likes this.
  6. StoJa9

Regular

For sure they are. They sell out arena and stadiums and headline festivals all over the world.

7. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Didn't even realise these guys had an album out next month, jeez. Well excited for this, new single is pretty good.

8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

StoJa9 and MFA like this.
  9. MFA

That song rips, peng ting and all that

StoJa9 likes this.
  10. StoJa9

Regular

God forbid this makes it to the main news page, for fuck's sake.

11. Fox83

Trusted

Have you submitted it as news at all? Serious question.

Anyway, great band. I had no idea they were finally releasing some new tunes.

12. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Both of these songs are awesome

13. Meh, their gimmick is already holding them back. I've heard these kind of riffs a million times before. Just because they're a bass / drums duo doesn't mean they should be praised like they were in 2014. Idk, I just don't get the hype around them.

14. Elder Lightning

They write good, fun rock songs. And, frankly, there's not a whole lot of that going on these days.

beachdude42, StoJa9 and earthlight like this.
  15. What

Sorry I just can't agree at all. Just look at Chorus.fm's news, at these forums. I can't take seriously any comments that use the expression "these days". We live in an unprecedented age for music. There is an infinite amount of incredible stuff being released every single day. In any genre. Some innovative, some more nostalgic (like Royal Blood, their influences are too obvious), I realize that it depends on your music tastes, but please, how can you say these words ? Not trying to be mean, I just don't get it, I'm trying my best not to end up feeling the same one day as an older music listener.

16. StoJa9

Regular

We like them, you don't. Move the fuck on.

earthlight likes this.
  17. Elder Lightning

There just aren't many bands making good, fun, straight-up rock music. If there's some I'm missing, more than happy to check them out, but this band scratches an itch that others don't.

earthlight and StoJa9 like this.
  18. I'll send you recommandations if you want. There's still a market for this kind of alt or blues-y or straightforward rock. I have so many names in mind, I think I'll make a thread instead. It'll be easier, especially since some of those bands aren't well known at all. Maybe that's what you mean with your post, there aren't that many mainstream rock bands of that kind anymore I guess ? Biffy Clyro changed up their sound once again by toning down their straight up rock side, Nothing But Thieves' style differ on their full lenght but their new single is hinting at a more aggressive direction that may suit your tastes better, then Foo Fighters are putting out a new album this year right ? Can't think of anyone else at the moment

19. Passive aggressivity is ruining music discussions, thanks for perpetuating it.

20. MFA

'68's new album is a bare-ass headbanger all the way through, also not heard Nothing But Thieves before, really like that new single so cheers for that!

I think the thing with Royal Blood is that they're a inoffensive feel good band with a lot of great riffs. They're not something people absolutely love, but more something that a lot of people like.

21. Ooooh I forgot about '68, Josh is such a genius both on record and live. I have to get it asap because the debut was absolutely good.

Cool about Nothing But Thieves. They're incredible songwriters for their age, and their singer is so impressive with his Jeff Buckley and Thom Yorke influences, while keeping that edge needed in the genre. It makes me wonder how awesome it'd be if Dallas Green would play similar stuff... but then this is what We Are The Ocean, another post hardcore turned alt rock band, were doing before they broke up !

Yep I agree with your take. I admit I didn't get into their new songs (not only the one premiered here). It feels like their second album is going to be more of the same, and I'm not sure this is going to work both critically and commercially.

MFA and beachdude42 like this.
  22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I never really got around to checking Nothing But Thieves, but you sold me with that one description lol. I'm a sucker for singers with that style.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  23. He's really someone to watch for. I can't remember the last time I was impressed by a singer that much.

He just nails this song for example, I don't know how to explain that well lol. Such a good singer.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. On an unrelated subject, imagine how improved pop punk would sound with a singer like that. We need more musicians like him in that genre.

beachdude42 likes this.
  25. MFA

Yeah do it with new '68 it's just way too fucking good, it simultaneously satisfied my big boisterous riff and getting weird needs

Definitely keen to see this new album from NBT, as you said that singer is fiiiiiine, great voice

And yeh I like the new Royal Blood songs but it still feels like there's sommat missing there. Probably, like you said, that it's "more of the same". Hopefully they'll just get real weird or go down the Death From Above 1979 route on the next album. Still need to hear this one though I guess haha