Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64: (29) Outkast - Hey Ya vs. (36) Oasis - Champagne Supernova Bracket • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

"Yeah!" pretty heavily matches/beats "Hey Ya" on the cultural zeitgeist scale, imo.

Phantoms, StreetSpirit and phaynes12 like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Was definitely everywhere but I think it's a worse song and I don't think its legacy is close

Aurora Fire and Joe4th like this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah it's not as good but it is still a song that when that first beat kicks in, everyone kinda gets hyped and starts dancing still almost 20 years later. That is a good pick. Would still say Hey Ya is the bigger impact though hah

4. heartchapel

Regular

And Champagne isn't the best song on its album. Both bands have better songs that didn't make it, but Hey Ya is a better song than Champagne, even if B.O.B. is better than Hey Ya

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Aaron Mook and AgonizingFir like this.
  6. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Don't think Yeah! passes the "would an uninformed parent know it well" test as universally as Hey Ya. Not the only criteria, but for me it's as much about the audiences a song crosses over to as how big a hit it was, and that's where I keep coming back to Hey Ya as the biggest of the 2000s

heartchapel likes this.
  7. heartchapel

Regular

As someone who was a late teen when both the songs came out, Hey Ya was inescapable, while I had to google "Yeah! song" to see what it was. I'd completely forgotten about that song.

8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Hey Ya was one of the first songs I remember really loving. I performed it in front of my class in 2nd grade lol. Easy pick

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

:chin::chin::chin: some sub-5 post members voting on this every time Hey Ya takes a lead. Collusion!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

How do you see who voted for what? I thought this was private

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Click on the number of votes

AgonizingFir likes this.
  12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

none of the threads have ever been private. you simply click the number.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  13. phaynes12

also there are two lol. both accounts created in the summer and fall. it's weird but it's not like some dork making an account yesterday.

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My parents would be the opposite. Yeah! has become a wedding reception staple.

15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Not the be-all, end-all but worth noting that every single "best songs of the '00s" list that came out 12 years ago was topped by a trio of "Hey Ya", "Dangerously in Love" and "Crazy". It's been acknowledged by a whoooooole lotta people as one of the peak moments of that decade musically.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. phaynes12

i don’t care who put out the list, if it has crazy on it, that’s whack

17. Craig Manning Dec 7, 2022
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2022)
    Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Pitchfork’s 2000s list was actually topped by “B.O.B.”!

Edit: Just checked that list, because I hadn’t looked at it in awhile. “Hey Ya” was 12, “Crazy” was 11, “Crazy in Love” was 4, top three was “B.O.B.”, “All My Friends,” and “ Paper Planes.”

Phantoms, Aaron Mook and phaynes12 like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And where's Champagne Supernova on their 90s list????? Nowhere baby, they chose the correct Oasis song at 167.

19. "Hey Ya" and it's not close

AgonizingFir likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

Yeah, but Pitchfork's '90s list sucks!

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Craig Manning

Also, the Fork also put "Ignition" in their top 20 in the 2000s, so we should take all their opinions with a grain of salt.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I understand your point but...it's definitely one of the top 20 songs of the 2000s haha

23. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I honestly can’t even tell what’s being argued anymore

AgonizingFir likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

Counterpoint: That song was always a piece of shit, and they (and many other publications/critics) knowingly platformed a predator for years.

phaynes12 likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Woof, cannot imagine still going to bat for that song.