Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64: (29) Outkast - Hey Ya vs. (36) Oasis - Champagne Supernova Bracket

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Dec 5, 2022.

?

Which Song Should Advance?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2022.
  1. Hey Ya

49.5%
  2. Champagne Supernova

50.5%
  1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Round one is here. 64 songs from 1960 to 2022. What song will come out on top? First few rounds will be posted in batches of four Mondays and Thursdays.

NOTICE: PLEASE DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU'VE HEARD BOTH SONGS. THEY'RE LIKE THREE MINUTES EACH IT ISN'T DIFFICULT.

For this matchup, we start with:

(29) Outkast - Hey Ya

vs.

(36) Oasis - Champagne Supernova

2. phaynes12

hmm a song that isn't a top 10 outkast song or the best oasis song, gee i wonder

this won't be close

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

“Hey Ya” is great, obviously, but c’mon, only one of these songs is about slowly walking down the hall faster than a cannonball.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

"Champagne Supernova" is an easy pick for me. Never been a huge fan of "Hey Ya".

Leftandleaving likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

An impossible feat I refuse to condone

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hey Ya is one of the best pop songs ever written. Champagne Supernova is average at best. These results are baffling.

7. Craig Manning

8. phaynes12

we know craig, we've seen the strava numbers

9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Champagne Supernova ranks higher on my personal all time list and I voted for it, but Hey Ya is a perfect pop song and one of the most iconic songs of the early 2000s - would not be a horrendous injustice if it were to advance.

10. Craig Manning

Ban-worthy post, IMO.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Which part? Hey Ya is absolutely on a ballot for best pop song since I've been born, and Champagne Supernova is the only song I don't really defend when people come for Oasis. Wonderwall is the better of the big two, and Don't Look Back in Anger and Live Forever are their best imo. I'm not too hot on them as a whole, but the other songs I mention at least don't leave me scratching my head at why people like them so much.

Joe4th likes this.
  12. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Always found Hey Ya overrated. Pour me a glass of that champagne baby

13. Craig Manning

Agreed on “Hey Ya,” disagree on one of the great epic album finales being just average. “Don’t Look Back in Anger” was the Oasis song on my ‘90s ballot, but “Champagne Supernova” absolutely would have been my next Oasis pick.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's fine. It's not a bad song by any means but I am reaching for 5-7 other Oasis songs before it

15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Champagne Supernova" is a really good ballad. "Hey Ya" STILL sounds thrillingly original all these years later and is the defining song of its decade. Going Outkast.

Aaron Mook and David87 like this.
  16. phaynes12

hey ya isn't better than BOB or ms. jackson or rosa parks or so fresh, so clean or liberation or aquemini or

you get the point.

Leftandleaving and mike1885 like this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It is better than all of those except maybe BOB. What a wild list to make your argument haha, at least say Elevators. So Fresh So Clean? Might as well throw The Whole World on the list

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey Ya is the best Outkast single (Sorry, Ms. Jackson) and Champaign Supernova is only the 3rd best single from its album.

19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Bombs Over Baghdad absolutely smokes Hey Ya

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember not being very big into it when it first came out as as a 12/13 year old, but did gain an appreciation for it as I got older. Seeing it live at Firefly was great, it was one of the most fun songs of the set for sure. Crowd was super into it.

But Hey Ya is just one of the quintessential early 2000's songs. I still remember the first time I heard it on the radio and then talking about it in my 10th grade biology class with my friends, I was like yo what's that song that's out now that's just like hey yaaa and has the little keyboard riff do do do dooo and they were like yeah it's just called Hey Ya haha. Went home and downloaded that shit on limewire or kazaa or grokster or whatever I was using at the time.

Still an essential song today. Overplayed, but in the right context/party situation, it's still so awesome.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hey Ya isn’t just a once in a career song for an artist to release. It’s like a once in a lifetime pop song to be around for the release of. I struggle to think of a more massive, perfect and all consuming pop song go come out since.

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I think basically the only contender is Mr. Brightside. Kinda wild that those two songs came out within a year or so of each other haha, as they're basically two of the first songs you think of when you think of the early-mid 2000s pop music.

Phantoms and Aaron Mook like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Huge for sure but Hey Ya had my mom out there buying Outkast records. Idk if you got many people genre hopping to rock with Brightside. Maybe! I just know a ton of kids who weren’t into hip hop who adored Hey Ya

24. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

In a weird way, Mr. Brightside feels closer to peak Hey Ya in the last 5-10 years than it did on release. Probably an equally big song all things considered, but its longevity helps its argument more than how big it was when it dropped. Emmitt Smith Barry Sanders shit.

None of the songs I can think of as Hey Ya zeitgeist level songs since feel as big. Call Me Maybe? Shake it Off? Nah

25. Craig Manning

Yeah, “Mr. Brightside” had pretty remarkable legs. Nowhere near the hit “Hey Ya” was in the moment, but they ended up with a similar cultural profile.

“Old Town Road” is probably the closest thing since in terms of seismic cultural ubiquity, but that one feels more like a fad in retrospect and less like an all-time classic.

Phantoms, trevorshmevor and phaynes12 like this.