Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64: (13) Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road vs. (52) The 1975 - Somebody Else Bracket

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Dec 5, 2022.

?

Which Song Should Advance?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2022.
  1. Thunder Road

66.3%
  2. Somebody Else

33.7%
  1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Round one is here. 64 songs from 1960 to 2022. What song will come out on top? First few rounds will be posted in batches of four Mondays and Thursdays.

NOTICE: PLEASE DO NOT VOTE UNLESS YOU'VE HEARD BOTH SONGS. THEY'RE LIKE THREE MINUTES EACH IT ISN'T DIFFICULT.

For this matchup, we start with:

(13) Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - Thunder Road

vs.

(52) The 1975 - Somebody Else

2. phaynes12

boss

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It would have been “Thunder Road” for me no matter what, but I’m still a little mystified at that being the 1975 song that made it through. Probably not a top 20 song from them for me.

karcrashianpanache likes this.
  4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Both fantastic and I'll be happy when "Thunder Road" wins but I have to go with "Somebody Else".

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Odd 1975 song. Thunder Road easy

AgonizingFir likes this.
  6. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Never heard the 1975 song before and its cool, but even I know Thunder Road is the way to go here.

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Thunder Road easy

8. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Why is everyone saying odd 75 song? It’s one of their biggest hits in the US.

Aaron Mook and cshadows2887 like this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Because I'd pick around 5 other songs from the album over it.

Carrow and Matt Chylak like this.
  10. bobby_runs

Aren’t a good chunk of these 64 songs the most accessible from the artist?

ScubaSteve182 likes this.
  11. It’s a hit so it’s not really a surprise, but it’s certainly not the best song of their 4 EPs and first 3 LPs. I don’t think any of their songs would put up a fighting chance against Thunder Road with this crowd, but Somebody Else stands way less of a chance than like… It’s Not Living or Paris

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wouldn’t say so. Hounds of Love (rightfully) made it over Running, for instance

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Come on

14. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This is one of like 2 of the 1975 songs I can think of what it sounds like off the top of my head, so I’m not surprised it’s the one that made it.

But obviously thunder road

ScubaSteve182 and bobby_runs like this.
  15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'll take Somebody Else over It's Not Living or Paris any day of the week. We all have different favs. It wouldn't be my pick for them either but it's a fantastic song.

bobby_runs likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"It's Not Living..." is the one for me. Still wouldn't touch "Thunder Road," but I'd vote for it over a bunch of songs in this thing.

17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Thunder Road" is the pick.

"Somebody Else" is their single biggest song. These votes are done by consensus. Keep it together and stop being weird, everyone.

bobby_runs and SpyKi like this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Who is being weird? By my count it landed on exactly two lists, just ranked high enough to make the final list since we didn’t have many voters. Just saying it wouldn’t be my pick, and didn’t top many of the best of lists in the 1975 thread

19. phaynes12

i honestly might have voted for wintering, and i don't even really like that band. not saying it's their "biggest," what a dumb argument

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I put Somebody Else on my list because despite being not being my favorite 1975 song, I thought it stood the best chance of moving forward.

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The biggest song is, pretty much by definition, the most common choice as people's favorite.

bobby_runs likes this.
  22. phaynes12

as pointed out in another thread, the majority of choices remaining aren't the artists' biggest songs lol. of the 64, i count 28-30 that could reasonably be considered the artists biggest song. so, yeah, i don't think it's weird for people to be surprised that particular band's biggest song made it lol. no one is shocked creep didn't make it but let down did.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Who could forget My Chemical Romance’s global smash hit and biggest song…*squints at notes*…Hang ‘Em High

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Chris is right if we were polling a random section of the US, not a site with a ton of superfans. The oddness is because not many of them voted

trevorshmevor likes this.
  25. bobby_runs

This is still the oddest thing.
    (I don’t hate it)

SpyKi likes this.