Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rostam- Changephobia (June 4th,2021) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Mar 2, 2021.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Fronnyfron likes this.
  2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Anticipating this one just as much as new Foxing. Half-Light is criminally underappreciated - it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Just absolutely beautiful.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Half-Light was one of my favorites of 2017. So damn hyped for this.

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

4Runner is my early favorite of these three tracks

Matt Chylak likes this.
  5. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

here for it

6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I liked Half-Light quite a bit, but there's an anthemic style to the production that has moved this album super high on my anticipated list for this year. I've been listening to "Unfold You" pretty endlessly since its release, and "4Runner" is something else. He doesn't usually make windows-down music for himself!

7. irthesteve

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Gonna try to avoid listening to the singles before this drops.

9. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I don’t want to wait until June :(

10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

4 for 4, not going to listen again until the album's out though.

11. irthesteve

Have seen Charli and Haim repost so far

12. irthesteve

Oh wait, I guess it's out now already?

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

OotyPa likes this.
  14. irthesteve

FOTB is their best album but sure

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

No, it's not! But it's fantastic.

Anyway, saying Rostam sounds like VW is a little lazy to me. You hear far more of that Rostam flourish on VW than any VW on the last Rostam album, IMO.

OotyPa likes this.
  16. irthesteve

Yeah it's definitely lazy, we've heard a lot from this album already and it sounds like Rostam, not VW

thedrudo and wisdomfordebris like this.
  17. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This is solid but I’m not entirely satisfied after one listen, which hurts to say.

18. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

that’s how I felt about half light tbh. Good album but doesn’t totally live up to the promise of Gwan which could literally be the best song ever

stars143 and OotyPa like this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Half Light is incredible but Gwan may be the best on there.

20. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Second listen is much more positive. I know a lot of people criticized Half-Light for it, but I always appreciated how all over the place that one was. For better or worse, this is a far more streamlined sound.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So glad I barely listened to the singles before the whole thing came out. Only a few songs in but I'm absolutely loving it so far

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Already coming around on this in a big way, heh.

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I like this!

24. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Really looking forward to sitting down with the new album. Absolutely love Half Light, and agree that Gwan is a major standout on that one, with Bike Dream and Thatch Snow not too far behind. I mean, Gwan was an instant all time top 50 song for me the first time I heard it, and has remained so years later. It's so beautiful I almost cry each time I hear it. Seeing him perform it live in a small club and just soaking it all in is one of the greatest concert experiences I've ever had.

And, at this point, it's pretty clear that Rostam has a production and sound that is just kind of his. You hear it in other tracks he has worked on (like Jenny Lewis's Completely Not Me) and obviously on the album he did with Hamilton Leithauser, which is just brilliant. VW's pre-FOTB is Rostam's sound. But I do need to give FOTB another listen. It just didn't stick even after five spins. It just felt a little too cute and precious, and a step down from Modern Vampires, which is my favorite of theirs.

25. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

This is really good. Gave it two spins so far and initial impression is it’s a more complete overall listen than Half Light or I had a Dream That You Were Mine.