Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Roma (Alfonso Curaón; 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Dog with a Blog Dec 19, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018)
    Dog with a Blog

^^^ lmao. That’s hilarious

Saw this in theaters today. Definitely the way to go, if possible. I took my sister who is due to give birth next week so, you can imagine how some of those scenes were for her :teethsmile:

I was worried when I first heard that Cuaron wouldn’t be working with Lubezki this time around, but after seeing it, I feel like Cuaron’s slow, static movements worked much better for the pacing of the movie.

It’s hard to say that I “enjoyed” this movie. But I do appreciate it. It’s not something I could see myself watching again, I don’t think, despite the fact that I found it to be beautifully made and very touching.

2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This was beautiful

What a surprisingly tender film after the empty spectacle of Gravity

I loved it

OhTheWater likes this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Both “Gravity” in 3-D and “Roma” were top 5 theatrical experiences.

jkauf and coleslawed like this.
  4. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This movie was astoundingly gorgeous; Very rarely do I see a movie made nowadays where every frame could be a painting. This world building and atmosphere was so authentically Mexican, and it’s certainly his masterpiece. It clearly references Curaón’s previous works stylistically, while pushing forward his ability to frame a shot and set the lighting. My absolute favorite shot was when Cleo and her friend took the staircase from the Middle-class family’s party, to the party downstairs. It reminded me of so many paintings, and the context of them going from the two parties/lifestyles added another layer that provided additional meaning to the shot.

Cleo’s character development and arc is also one of the most subtle and fulfilling of the year. Watching her go from a passive woman who relquinshed her agency to environmental and socioeconomic factors, and her oppression by the men in the story, to breaking free with the scene on the beach, made me extremely emotional. I adored Alfonso’s presentation of the female perspective, showing the men as a fleeting, but consistently oppressive, presence in the film. And by showing the duality of the experiences of Cleo and Sophia, even across socioeconomic lines, highlighted the uniformity of the female experience.

This movie just emotionally resonated with me in a way many other films haven’t this year. Fantastic, A+ for me

OotyPa, Connor, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Just finished this..... that whole beach scene is one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen in a movie. I don’t think i blinked once

jkauf and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

My goal for 2019 is to learn Spanish and Mixtec so I can rewatch this without having to have my focus shift from picture to text. The cinematography was so gorgeous, I want to be able to just live in it. It never felt like it was beating you over the head with the class distinctions. It felt subtle, never forced, but impactful nonetheless. Aparicio was brilliant, just a beautiful performance.

The real question though: What are they feed that dog that makes it shit so god damn much? Cleo was cleaning it every day right? There was like seven massive turds sitting in that driveway every day.

Connor and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
    Connor likes this.
  8. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

interesting stuff from Cuaron in that interview, loved the bit about him changing camera angles to avoid references to films/shots he loves. seen this a number of times now and adore it.

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

10. flask

Trusted Supporter

I could listen to (and read) Guillermo talk about movies for hours.

coleslawed and jkauf like this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw this again in 70mm. Just as masterful

12. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is art at its finest.

13. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Understanding the language makes this so much better. I look at the subtitles and sometimes it just doesn't translate well enough or you don't get the nuance.

14. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Intrigued to watch this. Hopefully will get the time soon

15. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The delivery room scene was so upsetting. She's so helplessly passive in this unbelievably traumatic moment while everyone else is too busy to even give a second thought to her

sawhney[rusted]2 and SpyKi like this.
  16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is FINALLY coming here for two days so I can FINALLY watch it properly. I’m so so so excited. I’ve been debating caving and watching it at home but I am so glad I waited to do it justice for the first watch.

jkauf likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was very good. Love the cinematography

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Won for cinematography

Cameron likes this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Woooo

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Won a couple other things too

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Cinematography, Director, Screenplay(?)

“Yeah we’re gonna give it all those things that add up to a great movie but not give it best picture”

coleslawed likes this.
  22. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

The most haunting scene from this film to me was the stillbirth. Not the event itself, but the detached and bureaucratic manner the hospital staff treated the moment. No warmth. I still think about it.

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Well yeah I think that scene fucked everybody up

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. devenstonow

Noobie

That's such a creepy moribd concept and I'm totally on board with it