Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rolling Stone’s Top 40 Punk Albums

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rolling Stone have put together a list of the Top 40 Punk Albums. No London Calling, but Enema of the State? I knew I was an absolute punk.

Punk rock started in 1976 on New York’s Bowery, when four cretins from Queens came up with a mutant strain of blitzkrieg bubblegum. The revolution they inspired split the history of rock & roll in half. But even if punk rock began as a kind of negation — a call to stark, brutal simplicity — its musical variety and transforming emotional power was immediate and remains staggering. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Ramones’ toweringly influential self-titled debut, we’ve compiled a list of the 40 Greatest Punk Albums of All Time.

1. Ramones – Ramones
    2. The Clash – The Clash
    3. Sex Pistols – Never Mind the Bollocks Here’s the Sex Pistols
    4. The Stooges – Funhouse
    5. Gang of Four – Entertainment!
    6. Wire – Pink Flag
    7. Minutemen – Double Nickels on the Dime
    8. Black Flag – Damaged
    9. X – Los Angeles
    10. Nirvana – Nevermind
    11. The Buzzcocks – Singles Going Steady
    12. Patti Smith – Horses
    13. Hüsker Dü – Zen Arcade
    14. Sleater-Kinney – Dig Me Out
    15. New York Dolls – New York Dolls
    16. Descendents – Milo Goes to College
    17. Television – Marquee Moon
    18. Green Day – Dookie
    19. Bad Brains – Bad Brains
    20. X-Ray Spex – Germfree Adolescents

The post Rolling Stone’s Top 40 Punk Albums appeared first on chorus.fm.

2. Clark

@yttebkralc Prestigious

What a strange list. There are a lot of good ones that many people would miss on there, but then they left off arguably the greatest punk album of all time (which happens to be number 8 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time).

3. Tom Lee

Regular

Saw this article and this was the first thing I thought of.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Daaaaang. I almost can't believe it, but I've legitimately never heard a single album on this list.

CMilliken likes this.
  5. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Honestly this is exactly my thoughts on it. It's not a bad list for the most part. Strange is a good way to describe it

6. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Ehh, missed me with no Strung Out.

Weird number to do a top list. 40?

7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I mean, this list isn't as bad as most of their lists. But they're throwing a lot of albums on there that aren't going to throw people off because they don't fit a version of "punk" that I would guess Gen Y/millenials ascribe to.

8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Blink but no Offspring, Bad Religion, Green Day, Social D, Stiff Little Fingers, Rancid, NOFX? What the fuck. Great inclusions on here, no doubt, but they skipped over a LOT.

J.Dick likes this.
  9. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Was glad to see White Lung made that list though

10. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

At this point, I feel they want to make a list that people won't expect. People have made the top 40 punk albums with nofx, bad religion and stuff.

I understand why they did it. It should have been more of a "top 40 overlooked" type thing and done that rather than call this the top 40

EDIT: Joy Division, Fugazi, Sonic Youth? Those aren't punk records

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  11. smoke4thecaper

The top 10 is rather predictable, for the most part -- and tying in w/ your edit, maybe they really did make a list people wouldn't expect b/c they chose albums many don't consider to be punk at all.

These lists are weird. They completely skip over some scenes, don't duplicate artists (which is fine, I suppose), and they love the #40 for some reason. I dunno. It's all arbitrary; would love to have seen some other long-lasting bands make the list.

12. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

BR is great but it's hard to pick one seminal album from them. All their records are wildly consistent but I'm scratching m head as to if one is TRULY great.

13. smoke4thecaper

Suffer? No Control? Against the Grain?

Those are the first three I could pick from. Personal pref is AtG, but I wouldn't have been too surprised to see Suffer make this list.

J.Dick likes this.
  14. Raku

Regular

I agree with others, it's such a strange list. Also not to be mean, but I find it a bit funny how they think the Ramones started Punk music when in fact they were the beginners of POP Punk music.

15. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I have been listening to punk music for almost 25 years (i'm old), I can't believe Bad Religion & Operation Ivy were left off of this list entirely.

And honestly, Dookie should be a lot higher. Before Dookie, you couldn't find anything. You had to order albums through mail order catalog (which I did). After Dookie, I could buy albums from Fat Wreck, Epitaph, and Lookout at my local chain record store. Dookie literally changed the entire landscape. It may not be cool to say, but it's true. Anyone who was into punk music in 1992 knew the struggle haha.

This list almost neglects the 90's whole cloth. Which were arguably just as important to punk music as the late 70s were.

Oh, and Rolling Stones' justification for Enema of the State was how long it stayed on the charts? How punk of them.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  16. KimmyGibbler

Suburban would make my list for sure, but I wouldn't say it makes an "all-time punk" list.

slickdtc likes this.
  17. KimmyGibbler

I would pick Suffer if I had to pick Bad Religion's seminal album.

18. Fox83

Trusted

Not sure if serious.

19. Totally serious. Not a single one.

20. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude like not even Nirvana?!?!

21. Not Nirvana or Blink or Weezer.

I was living in a different world in the 90's, haha

22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

go download nirvana and fugazi and let it eat your brain

23. Fox83

Trusted

What does that even mean? The fact that you were capable enough to register your account here tells me you know better.

fenway89 and Chase Tremaine like this.