Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, December 16, 2016) Movie • Page 82

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

That doesn’t make it empathy because she joked about letting it happen a few minutes prior.

“trust goes both ways”. That’s not captor and hostage dynamics.

Leftandleaving and FlayedManOfSF like this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This has been my iPad background for over three years now. Absolutely love it.

4. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I'm fine with you not believing the same thing as me. All good. Everyone has different interpretations of films.

5. Greg

I thought we were discussing it? Do you think the “trust goes both ways” fits a captor and hostage dynamic or more of uneasy new allies?

6. Brother Beck Dec 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 17, 2019)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I could watch 2-3 hours of these type of establishing shot scenes (I don't think that's the right term for this but I can't think of a better one) and be perfectly happy. The way these types of scenes were shot, and the 'handheld' type camerawork once they are on the ground on Jeddha really went a long way toward making this feel like a film crew went out and shot this on location, which I know is absurd. But it felt like a refreshing change of pace for me with how prevalent the practice is of just having actors be in front of green or blue screens and filling in the background later, even for shots that do not seem to require this set up at all. I really do think Gareth Edwards has a way with the camera that is very Kubrickian or Spielbergian where so many other filmmakers could shoot the same scene in a way that is perfectly functional and 'fine' but would not draw you in nearly as much.

*Also, I personally think that there was a lot more footage like this that got chopped out with the re-shoots and re-edits, and that's how stuff like the really cool shot of the spaceship shot from high up looking down as it flies over the ruins of the giant Jedi statue in the sand got lost to the cutting room floor.

coleslawed likes this.
  7. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I don't think she would be there or even be in that position if she wasn't being forced to be. It's a forced situational trust which, to me, isn't the same. Her heart wasn't in it until after she saw her father's speech I think. That's what changed her mind or at least broke the scales off her eyes that the way she was living wasn't tenable.

8. Greg

Oh, she def has a change of heart after the message. That’s when she is fully on board, yea.

which is why after that moment we should have seen her start showing empathy. She should have been rougher around the edges until then. But when they go out of their way to show us, “oh hey, she is a good person” that change is not as impactful as it could have been. I think the reason a lot of people see the scene being an add in later on is because she did seem to be a little more edgy based on the early trailer with the whole “I rebel” thing and the long list of charges.

I think the reshoots really muddled up stuff like this. I could be wrong, I’m not sure we will ever know what was added and when.

9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This sums up my feelings of why it feels a little off. They never really commit to who her character is supposed to be until after her father dies and it makes her arc a less satisfying.

Please no one take this as she should have left the kid to die haha.

Greg likes this.
  10. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

They re-shot like 40% or something right? Could definitely see it being the case but it's probably because the other moments were so subtle (jumping in front of K2, helping Bodhi out of his trauma). But who knows really.

11. Greg

Hahahaha I mean there just didn’t need to be a kid there and problem solved

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. Greg

I mean, who knows haha but I’ve heard 40 or so. A lot was the ending supposedly. Hopefully before we die enough time passes and someone writes a book about this era and all the shit that went down.

the Bodhi moment, which I honestly can’t recall the interaction, is after the message, so it makes sense then. The kid scene just makes her arc a bit flatter. She still has one. It’s just not as strong as it could have been.

13. I think it shows she’s not a monster, but is jaded, and then slowly grows to want to be part of the actual resistance.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Greg

What would make someone think she was a monster?

15. Her being way more jaded and closed off to begin with and showing zero signs of humanity.

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I guess it just feels like such an on the nose way to do it so it feels jarring to me.

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This isn’t Star Wars related but you should watch Koyaanisqatsi.

Koyaanisqatsi - Wikipedia

“Drawing its title from the Hopi word meaning "life out of balance," this renowned documentary reveals how humanity has grown apart from nature. Featuring extensive footage of natural landscapes and elemental forces, the film gives way to many scenes of modern civilization and technology.”

[​IMG]

coleslawed and Brother Beck like this.
  18. Rewatched this today. Still so good. Can't decide if this or TLJ is the best looking Star Wars movie. I think K-2SO is my favorite droid in the series.

"I find that answer vague and unconvincing."

David87 and David Parke like this.
  19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

“Do you want to know the odds of her using that blaster against you?”

“It’s high. It’s very high.”

makes me laugh every single time

Ferrari333SP and David87 like this.
  22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I’ll always respect a video speaking the truth that Chirrut and Baze and the best characters in the movie.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I can’t say I’ll ever want a Star Wars movie that’s “for adults” though.

Tim likes this.
  24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This is maybe my favorite Star Wars movie.

Ken, Your Milkshake, Cameron and 4 others like this.
  25. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Great now I need to watch this again

Ferrari333SP likes this.