Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, December 16, 2016) Movie • Page 79

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Dodger Jul 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2018)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Sometimes its better to fill in the gap for yourself and use your imagination to fill in the blanks. As you are well aware needing an answer for every question to the point that things are "canon" or "fact" turns this art into a religion or a science where everything needs to be written in stone in order for it to count. Me and @FlayedManOfSF had a great discussion about the force and Force ghosts in TLJ thread I believe and we have different interpretations of it, but it was probably some of the most fun Ive had talking about Star Wars because if the Force was figured out and had a Bible "this answers all the questions. this is the facts. Nothing else can be true" then theres no point in it. There are the answers and no fun philosophical discussion.

If it didnt work for you still and that detracted from the movie, thats fine. Just how you feel, but I dont think its warranted enough be as upset as you seem to be over it that its breaking with "canon" or what weve seen or havent seen.

My interpretation of the Force is that everybody has the capability to get in touch with the Force. Just as some people are naturally good at an instrument or singing or math, some people in the Star Wars galaxy (like Rey, or Anakin, etc...) naturally are born with heightened sense or connection to the Force. Chirrut's blindness is just like any other disability in which it heightens your other abilities. In my opinion even though Chirrut cant control the Force, his blindness has strengthened his connection to the Force and the energy that binds all things, meaning he can sense whats happening around him through the force.

The scene where he doesnt get shot as hes walking to turn on the switch I just pretend that he was moving ever so slightly to dodge the bullets or that having that selfless purpose and sacrificing himself the Force kind of was repaying his faith by bending the blasts around him.
    (Kind of like when (Star Wars Rebels Spoilers) Kanan gets his eye sight back before he dies sacrificing himself as if the Force was allowing him to see Hera one last time
    Ridiculous? maybe. Does it matter? no. Is my interpretation right? Nope. Does it work for me? Damn skippy.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This argument is gross, oh my god.

Jason Tate and Dodger like this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Thanks for the response, @Dodger

And you pretty much nailed it with your last line:

It's just that I feel the opposite.

4. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

They didn’t explain why Jyn and her family were at the farm at the beginning. Movie is ruined!

flask likes this.
  5. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

We need to get Chirrut’s midichlorian count ASAP.

Adrian Villagomez and coleslawed like this.
  6. Greg

Be sure to use a reputable testing center. We don’t need any fake news here.

7. I just wanna know how Han was able to dodge blaster shots without the force to be honest.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Greg

I’m pretty sure the force told Lando the Death Star shields were still up.

9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know why I expect good conversation on this forum sometimes. It’s clear that multiple people will ignore half the posts you make, jump to a conclusion you didn’t make, and then make “funny” posts afterward acting high and mighty and smug as if you’ve proven anything. It’s embarrassing.

Also, really cool ignoring the rules of your own forum, man. Apparently insulting users is okay now.

10. Look at the first post you made. What you said was absolutely worthy of the hard criticism you took. It was gross and borderline ableist. I’m not the only one that cringed reading it.

That’s what’s embarrassing.

EASheartsVinyl, ship90 and Greg like this.
  11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Criticizing a decision in a movie is different than directly insulting a user.

12. Read what I wrote again.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

As far as it being ableist, I'll apologize if it came off that way as I didn't intend that.

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

It’s good to be to back on absolutepunk

NitrateDawn and teebs41 like this.
  15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

@Dinosaurs Dish
    I think @Dodger covered a lot of my thoughts on this, but I definitely don't understand how Chirrut's use of the force is outside what has been established in the movies. We see that the force is able to give people the ability to see things in the future or their general surroundings (outside their line of sight, that is) all the time. And it's not their sight, hearing, touch, taste, or sense of smell that is giving them this information.

- Luke uses the force in A New Hope to block the training orb blaster fire (while he is, by his own words, "blind" with the blast shield down
    - Luke firing the kill shot into the death star without being able to see where it is (all without any intensive Jedi training, mind you).
    - Luke can see Han and Leia in trouble on cloud city while he is on Dagobah (again, with minimal Jedi training).
    - It's implied that child Anakin is a good podracer because of his force sensitivity
    - Yoda's explanation of the force as posted earlier perfectly describes how the force is almost like an extra sense that can be used to a degree by all living things
    - throughout the prequel and original trilogy, we see the force telling Jedi where blaster fire is coming from to inform their lightsaber movements.

The abilities of the force are very, very well established throughout the previous movies. I don't see how Chirrut being blind would affect his ability to use the force. The movie tells us that he is a guardian of an ancient Jedi temple, which hints that he should be force sensitive in someway. It's an established part of his character right away when we see that he is able to sense the presence of Jyn's kyber crystal necklass despite it being hidden under her shirt (which, even someone with sight wouldn't be able to see).

I agree that the characters are the worst part of this film. And if more depth had been given to Jyn, Cassian, Saw, and yes even Chirrut and Baze (even though they were my favorite), this could have gone from a good movie to a classic. Still, I think Chirrut and Baze's connection to the force was very well done, based off pre-established movie canon and one of the more rewarding parts of the movie.

coleslawed, Dodger and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Lucas said there are strong force sensitive characters that don’t have the ability of a Jedi... this was years ago but there is no doubt in my mind that Chirut is force sensitive.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  17. Dodge725

Trusted

Chirrut has a connection to the force and can sense things, but can not control the force. This is how he can feel things, but you’ll never see him use a force push. In the Rogue One novel, this is how he knows Jyn has a Kyber crystal necklace on, he can sense it. He also says later in the book when asked by Baze why they’re following Cassian on Eadu, he says they’re not following him, they’re following Jyn because she is a light in the force. The novel Catalyst also implies Jyns mother is the same way, though no where near to the extent as Chirrut.

coleslawed, teebs41 and Dodger like this.
  18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Why do I still check out Star Wars discourse online? I should know by now that it's not something I enjoy much of the time, lol.

I'm only making a comment to say that some nerds care way too much about knowing the extent of characters' abilities. Barring lazy plot convenience, who give a crap? Powers are allowed to be ambiguous. It's fantasy. If wondering how all the nuances work takes you out of the film, maybe fantasy just isn't for you.

19. NitrateDawn

Regular

I will never understand the "no precedence" argument when it comes to Star Wars. Every accepted thing about Star Wars was new once, and we're dealing with a mystical power/energy that manifests itself in different people and things differently. If you're looking for a set of hard and fast rules, you're doing it wrong. I hope we never stop learning new things about the Force. In fact, one of my issues with this film is that there were lots of mentions of the Force without really revealing anything new or interesting about it.

20. ship90

Trusted

coleslawed and theagentcoma like this.
  21. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Fair point. That Vader scene was fucking awesome though idgaf.

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. David87 Jan 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2019)
    David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Every time I watch Rogue One I think K-2SO basically becomes my favorite Star Wars character.

23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

every time I read Rouge One I think of lipstick

David87 likes this.
  24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. ship90

Trusted