Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, December 16, 2016) Movie • Page 78

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

If you’re not going to bother to do any thinking, stop posting.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The movie doesn't do a good enough job explaining who or what he is. Period. On the last page alone, there are 3 different viewpoints on what he could be. That's bad writing.

3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I don’t have too much to say about the characters themselves but as a more casual Star Wars fan i thought rogue one was really refreshing and the characters, especially chirrut, were a big part of that. I think I’ve said it in the thread before but as a viewer I personally didn’t need much backstory from them; 7 other movies were enough context for me. I took much more offense to things without precedence in the other movies ;-p . Rogue One is my favorite ❤️

coleslawed, Your Milkshake and Dodger like this.
  4. Greg

He’s clearly a Sith Lord

loudasallgetout likes this.
  5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I know you're joking but after some more googling around, it's clear that there isn't an exact answer as to what he is or if he's just force sensitive or able to use the force or neither.

People are getting agitated with me but I think that's bad writing if a movie can't explain or infer enough to provide a reasonable answer without having to go and read other resources.

6. Greg

Darth Binks trained him some time after Revenge of the Sith. I think it was in the book “The Rise of a Dark Gungan” part 1 in a 10 part series.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

What's the point of a discussion forum if any criticism is met with stupid responses like this? Is this movie unable to be critiqued? Are you so defensive that you're not able to handle someone not agreeing with you?

8. Greg

Criticism?

This is totally legit criticism.....

Here is the response you deserve......

you’re an idiot

9. Greg

We need more people like this guy here. He understands there are issues with the movie. I think it’s perfect and that it’s beyond criticism.

Jesus

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

So you'd rather insult me than respond to my valid points. Got it.

11. Greg

That’s not a valid point, broheim.

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyone else who's capable of having a discussion have a response for this?

13. Greg

Oh fuck. I just realized Chirrut is what mattered in the movie. His purpose in the movie was to be fully explained. They failed. Bad movie. Grade F. 1 out of 10.

14. The movie gives you the information you need to know who and what he is. There’s more lore if you want to keep going, but it does exactly what is needed for the movie.

The mystery of the mythos is part of what Star Wars is. It’s built into the entire story from day one. But all the info is there on this character in the movie if you listen.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Greg

No! Jason, he’s right!

The movie is utterly ruined now. I don’t know every little thing about him. He was the point of the movie.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Thanks for responding.

I guess my issue is that what the movie provided wasn't enough for me to think they did a good job explaining what he was. And then that combined with him being blind and doing things that we've only seen advanced Jedi or Sith character do was jarring and distracting for me.

And yeah, the mystery of Star Wars is one of the best things about the whole series of films. Like in The Last Jedi, the telepathic force conversations and physical interaction between Rey and Kyle was probably my favorite thing about the whole movie and that was definitely out of left field for me.

17. But that’s not true.

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, it was enough for you to know since you're aware of lore outside of this movie, but it wasn't enough for me.

19. Nah. It was enough if you watch the movie. It’s right there. They basically beat you over the head with it.

20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I've watched the movie twice and it's not clear what it is. You can look up conversations online and people are still arguing over exactly what he is, with or without extra information from other Star Wars books, comics, series, etc...

My point is that it being so nebulous distracted me personally and him being blind just made it worse.

21. I’m aware. Not my fault you didn’t get it and then decide to double down with this “he’s blind” complaint. I don’t have much desire to talk to or have to explain a movie to someone doing that.

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Are you able to explain exactly what he is? Because it's still not clear from the last couple pages and from what I'm reading online elsewhere.

23. I’m done talking to the dude that thinks a blind character is bad because he’s blind. That makes me mad. Use google. I gave you the name already to search.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You're twisting what I said into something else. I've explained multiple times that my issue with him being blind is that on top of all the other shit wrong with the writing of this character, they add that he's blind which makes what he's able to do even more unbelievable.

25. :ok:

Greg likes this.