Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, December 16, 2016) Movie • Page 77

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm criticizing a weak character, yes.

2. One of the best scenes in the movie. Love it.

3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Do you have a criticism of what I'm saying? Or just empty replies?

4. Your argument was:

“Hey, we should have a BLIND character in this movie!"

Give me a break.”

So, I’ve got nothing but empty replies for this shit. You not getting how the spiritual side of him helped him as a warrior is on you. I don’t care at all that you missed it.

awakeohsleeper and aoftbsten like this.
  5. Yes.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

What's the point of making his character blind?

Is there any precedence in the Star Wars universe for someone who isn't using the force to be able to do things that he does? I'm genuinely asking this because from what I remember, only people using the force can sense things like he does.

7. Still yes.

8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Not sure why my post got messed up there, but can you expound on that?

Or answer the other question as well?

9. Google “guardians of the whills.”

There are dozens of very well trained fighters, warriors, and skilled combatants in Star Wars that are not force sensitive.

teebs41 likes this.
  10. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

If only the movie had explained the character more. Like, maybe they could have given him a mantra to constantly repeat that summed up his way of life. If only they had done that. They could have had him do it earlier where you weren’t sure how it works and by the end have him do it again to show it’s fulfimment in his arc.

If only....

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

How is it possible to have missed “i am with the force and the force is with me”? He says it 834 times.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  12. flask

Trusted Supporter

This is still in my top 3 Star Wars movies. A lot of people say the first half drags but that’s high quality world building and Star Wars weirdness right there.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

He doesnt have to be “using the force” for it to be working within him. If he believes it is there and its aiding him in his life whether its real or not he believes he is using it therefore to him it is there. To me it kind of speaks to how differently people use the influence of religion in their daily lives.
    Some will call it coincidence, the others faith. We have just been conditioned from previous movies to believe the force only works in finite physical ways like grabbing a lightsaber from across the room.

coleslawed and aoftbsten like this.
  14. Greg

The first half is easily the weakest Star Wars Disney has produced by far. I still like it, and I still like the movie. But that first half is rough. But the third act gives us the best SW space fights yet. It’s a pretty unbalanced movie.

15. We need more force sensitive animals in the movies. Give me Ysalamiri!

16. Greg

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I should have been more clear in my original question: is there any precedence in the main movies for characters like this?

I get that there are other characters, details, and other elements of this whole universe outside of the previous 7 movies, but for the vast majority of people who haven't read the books or comics or watched all the different shows or whatever else is out there, the characters in the main movies need to make sense and because we haven't seen a character like him before, it comes out of nowhere that he's able to do these things not being a Jedi or a Sith and even more so unbelievable that he's doing it blind. I don't expect you to agree with much, if any, of that but I think it's a valid criticism.

It reminds me of the debate in the Solo thread about how people were arguing whether or not Darth Maul was a good character in the movie. He might be an amazing character built up in those other sources, but in the movie itself he wasn't and that's a problem. If an aspect of a movie has to be explained outside of the movie itself, I think that part failed.
    Using a mantra like this is not the same thing as being able to use the force.

18. Greg

You don’t understand the force.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Explain.

20. Greg

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I've seen that movie and that scene plenty of times. What Chirrut is doing is not the same as what Yoda is talking about.

Now I'm seeing people saying he did use the force, or that he's not using the force but believing in it akin to it being a religion and faith-based, or that he was just highly skilled. I've yet to hear a clear explanation.

My main point is that we haven't seen a character like this before in the movies and that they didn't do a good job explaining who or what he is and for me, he was only distracting.

22. Greg

Demanding a precedence for everything in a made up movie about space wizards with laser swords is the dumbest thing I’ve seen thrown at Star Wars lately.

Like, holy fuck.

loudasallgetout likes this.
  23. Greg

You clearly need to watch it again and listen to what he says then.

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

If you're going to ignore all of my points, then don't bother responding.