Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rockstar Disrupt Festval: The Used / Thrice / Circa Survive / Sum 41 / TSSF / Atreyu / SWS / ETC Tour • Page 11

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by TMS2787, Mar 23, 2019.

1. dubey May 23, 2019
    (Last edited: May 23, 2019)
    dubey

Regular

They're definitely not selling 10,000 tickets

2. SkyGrowsBigger May 24, 2019
    (Last edited: May 24, 2019)
    SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

A lot of these bands cater to adults and having many dates in the middle of week and starting at 1pm probably doesn't help. If the bands skewed younger that would help.

falafelmywaffle and Brent like this.
  3. emojedi

Trusted

They won’t be selling 5000

riotspray, falafelmywaffle and Brent like this.
  4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Care to expand on why you think that?

None of these bands have ever headlined at amphitheaters before and are nowhere close to popular enough to do so. The biggest venue any of these bands has headlined in Chicago is the 5,000 capacity Aragon Ballroom. This is at the 28,000 capacity amphitheater.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

All of these bands barely do 1000 on their own in my market at least and they all share a similar fan so I would imagine all of these do max 4-5k

Joe4th likes this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

Surely this will draw in more casual music fans though that just like going to festivals right? Ones who don't seek out individual bands when they come through for club shows?

7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I would think that too, but I don’t think the amount of those people will fill up amphitheaters along with people going for specific band(s)

Davjs likes this.
  8. zachmacD

Trusted

It will but I don’t think it’s going to be nearly enough to fill even half these venues. It is interesting to see how a lack of Warped Tour is impacting and will continue to impact this scene though.

Davjs likes this.
  9. Davjs

Trusted

That's another thing, a lot of these bands are kind of Warped Tour bands. Where are all those people? lol

10. zachmacD

Trusted

These bands will either need to adapt to what’s popular in the mainstream or I think you’re going to see a lot of the Warped style bands calling it quits. That or they will have to come up with more little festivals but obviously not all of them, if any, will do well.

11. zachmacD

Trusted

They grew up lol. I’m also curious if this was a big sign to people that this music just isn’t cool anymore.

I used to love this scene but it just got more and more embarrassing to be listening to it. I work a corporate job, have a great girlfriend, and have a pretty good life. Hearing bands complain about their exes, the world not understanding them, or politics just got boring. To me at least, a lot of the Warped music is just plain negative. I can’t speak for everyone obviously but those are just my thoughts. My girlfriend used to love this music as well but it was just a high school phase for her. She doesn’t want to go shows nowadays unless it’s like Taylor Swift or Lana Del Rey lol

12. Davjs

Trusted

I dunno, I have a great corporate job as well with a wife and three kids and don't think there is anything embarrassing about jamming Thrice, Atreyu and Sum 41 (as well as Senses Fail and Story of the Year). Those are some of my all time favorites, you like what you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. sam_might_say

I feel like a lot of these bands adapted or “grew up” and for the better. I’m specifically looking at Thrice and Circa Survive.

And both those bands still have rather big fanbases and they both fill up and sell out decent-sized venues (1,000-3,000 cap)

The only headliner on here I don’t think completely did that is Sum 41, but they’re still pretty big in their scene so (shrug emoji)

14. Ryanjayreviews

Regular

I think also warped was a branded name so that helped. People knew the fest name and would go regardless who played. But it also brought in enough bands for the older fans and new fans. And a bunch of genres of rock. While this pretty much is just for 00s emo kids who are all in there mid 20s to mid 30s now. Like people said now all these people have responsibilities. Or just don't want to hang out in the heat all day anymore

ItsAndrew and zachmacD like this.
  15. zachmacD

Trusted

Agreed, however, when was the last time a band that was on warped tour blew up in the mainstream? I know for me, once a band played warped tour I kind of just wrote them off.

To your point, I wonder if a younger crowd would go to warped tour just for the brand/name. I used to go to warped tour regardless of who was playing but I was pretty into this scene and knew most of the bands. I’m not honestly sure if in the last few years, they were still drawing like that. This is an interesting conversation though. I also think these types of bands need to start incorporating more electronics instead of just backtracks. After going to see a band like the 1975 with there stage show, going to see a pop punk band play in the sun in the middle of the day just doesn’t do it anymore

16. sam_might_say

Black Honey by Thrice got some pretty good attention on mainstream rock stations, but that’s like... it...

17. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I definitely think the lack of simply GA setting hurts this festival. Self Help is a very similar festival, and the year I went there was a big amphitheater they had for the smaller stage, and there was a lengthy field to stand in for the main artists. It made sense, I didn’t have a specific section I was seated in, and it sure as heck didn’t cost $159+fees for a spot in the pit.

I would have considered going before finding out how expensive ticket options were for my date. It’s a great lineup and undoubtedly a good time, but be realistic with your pricing options. $159+fees is more than I pay for a 3 day pass to Bunbury to see artists that could actually sell well at this venue on their own tour.

18. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Which dates cost that much? Or is that for two tickets? Chula Vista is $59 for pit.

19. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Also noticed the "lawn" tickets for the Chula Vista date are now $15 each, AND the two GA seating sections (only one is non GA) are now 2 for 1..

20. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

So GA Seated is only $22.50 (pre fees) for TWO tickets! That's like 15 bucks each for seated tickets.

This must be doing as horribly or worse than people are saying.

21. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

It’s in Michigan, and it’s probably similar to the VIP package, but even lower seats were $99.99. I just figured they didn’t allow you to buy pit tickets without buying the “Disrupt Gold Pit Pass”. Even if the pit tickets were $99.99 to start just like the seat above it, that’s still above what makes sense to me.

22. sam_might_say

Tickets for the Irvine date are atrocious price-wise. $160 for pit, $70-$90 for orchestra, and furthest seating is $35-$41. Absolute bonkers.

23. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Self Help is similar in that it's a music festival, yes. But not a single one of these bands – rather, all the headliners put together – is even close to being as popular as the biggest band on Self Help, ADTR.

24. DonnyFTW

Regular

I went to Warped every year since 2005, when they announced the anniversary fests I planned a trip out to AC before any of these other fests got announced. Would I rather have just have gotten Sad Summer and Disrupt tix along with maybe blink for the same price? Maybe, but I already spent my money on Warped and I don't regret it.

theasteriskera and Davjs like this.
  25. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Which brings me back to wondering why they think it makes sense to charge so much for tickets to this event, considering it was cheaper for self help AND I was able to choose where I would stand. I think obviously the wrap around question would also be why would they choose such large venues, as well, it’s just all bad.