Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rocketman (Dexter Fletcher, May 17, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 28, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The story of Elton John's life, from his years as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music through his influential and enduring musical partnership with Bernie Taupin.

Bryce Dallas Howard will play Elton's mom, Taron Egerton is portraying Elton John, while Jamie Bell is on board as Bernie Taupin, and Richard Madden is playing music manager John Reid.

2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

3. I think it looks good

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Disappointing. Was hoping for a remake of this...

[​IMG]

GrantCloud, Davjs, justin. and 5 others like this.
  6. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I feel like we're going to get a ton of music biopics thanks to Bohemian Rhapsody.

7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The first trailer made me think it was going to be styled like a fantasy. This latest trailer makes it look like a more paint by numbers biopic. The former of those two sounds way more intriguing.

Slangster likes this.
  8. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Damn my brain misfired and I thought this was going a be a remake of the Rocketeer.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen Feb 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

I feel kinda badly that everyone thinks this is ripping off Bohemian Rhapsody when it's been in development for 7 years, at some point Tom Hardy was supposed to star which LOL

Taron is also actually singing

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I think I'm gonna be like the only person under 50 seeing this does a R rating really matter

11. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Excited

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Can't wait for Taron to hang dong.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  13. Seeing this a couple weeks early on the 18th. Not sure what to expect really, but I'm hoping it's good.

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

bradsonemanband likes this.
  15. I thought this was pretty good. Some cheesy moments aside, there's a great energy to it and Taron Egerton was excellent. The musical numbers are where it really shines.

16. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It wasn’t bad. Never really found myself too moved and the structure often felt wonky. But it has several rousing musical moments and Taron and Jaime Bell are really good.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, it’s definitely a mess and way less interested in giving the audience the context of his songs or albums than, say, “Bohemian Rhapsody.” That said, at least it’s an interesting and sometimes engaging mess, rather than the most recent music biopics.

Egerton kind of does his own version of Elton and I think it works. He teeters on overacting, but he gives him a lot of personality and charisma.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The guy next to me put his head in hand during the love scene. Guess he didn't think a movie about Elton John would omit who he is?

20. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This was messy and the pacing was weird and the whole musical prodigy aspect of it was taken a notch too far but it had fun moments and I really appreciate that it didn’t settle for being a standard biopic.

I really hate the framing device of the AA meeting, probably my biggest dislike.

21. it was enjoyable - agree about the pacing being weird and what not but I enjoyed the musical aspect of it

the weirdest scene for me was John turning into a terrible CGI rocket ship during the Dodger Stadium scene lol

22. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Really enjoyed most of it, def started to drag in the 2nd half. Troubadour floating scene was the best.

23. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Such an accurate representation of what it feels like to have a “moment” at a show.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  24. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I really enjoyed this as a longtime fan of his music. I’ve loved so many of his songs for so long that it was cool to see them used in a different way that paid no attention to when the song itself was created. The imagination behind the presentation & narrative was enough to win me over after being letdown by Bohemian Rhapsody and Jersey Boys. Agreed that it fumbles the pacing a bit near the end. By that point however, Taron’s performance had won me over completely, so I’m gonna let that gripe go.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. I loved how theatrical and musical this was. It fit his personality.