Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Robyn Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 10, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Discuss the artist that put perhaps the best pop album of the 2010s!

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Saw her open for Coldplay a few years back, total blast. Call Your Girlfriend is a monster jam.

3. I'm so bummed I still haven't gotten a chance to see Robyn live. I was in LOVE with "Show Me Love" back in the day, and then I became a fan again when I heard "Be Mine" and I have been going strong since then. She's fantastic.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Dancing on my Own is the best pop song of the 2010s. She is headlining a fest here this summer, but there's only 5 artists (Bully, DIIV, Charles Bradley, Robyn, The National) over the two days I want to see, so idk if it's worth it. I've been dying to see her and to see The National again.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

So so so so so ready for a new album. Both collaborative EPs from the last few years have been very enjoyable, but some solo stuff is what I crave

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

The defining moment of Girls is when they're all dancing to this song

7. irthesteve

This song.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

That scene changed my life

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

So she has announced this remix series and is premiering the remixes through her festival dates this summer. First show was this past weekend at Boston Calling. Looked the set list up on setlist.fm and apparently the whole set was comprised of these remixes and it was presented as a "continuous dance set" which I'm assuming means it played out more with the flow of a DJ set than a performance. I'm seeing her this weekend and now I'm kind of skeptical about the show. I think this is cool, and I get it, she's been performing these songs with little new material for like 6+ years now. But I haven't seen her before and was looking forward to a set of Robyn performing Robyn songs. Oh well, I can't judge yet because I don't really know how it plays out, but I'm at once more curious and nervous about seeing her on Sunday.

Robyn Announces Remix Series | Pitchfork
    Robyn Setlist at Boston Calling 2016

10. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I saw Robyn at Bestival back when she was touring Body Talk and it was incredible. Talking of which I really hope they do a repress of the whole of Body Talk at somepoint soon. It's such an incredible album and also the album that re-ignited my love with pop music after years of shunning it.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

She was so fun live even though I felt like I didn't belong because everyone else there was cooler than me and basically Stefon

ryan.conde likes this.
  12. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

She was awesome to catch live. So much fucking energy and the vocals were on point

irthesteve likes this.
  13. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I was not into that remix set she played last night. It was essentially a band playing songs that vaguely resembled or had elements of Robyn songs and her dancing around and sometimes singing. I think before I left (like 5 min before the set was to end) she had sung 3 full songs (Love is Free, Indestructible and Dancing on my Own), the chorus of Hang with Me and then just dropped in for random lines on the other tracks.

It might have been cool if I had seen her in the past or if it was sold as this when tickets went on sale, but it just wasn't what I was looking for after waiting so long to see her.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Super disappointed in her govball set. Not interested in droning house music. Left after 15 mins.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It should have been advertised properly , sorry to hear that

16. irthesteve

wow, what a huge bummer, i'd be so angry

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

To be fair, I'm not sure the festival knew it would be that way either since Robyn herself only announced this remix series a week or two ago and the tickets for this fest went on sale months ago. But it was just a giant bummer on top of a day that also included a 3+ hour festival evacuation due to weather and shortened sets for every act I wanted to see. Cool on her for wanting to do something different but it was not fitting for a headlining festival set.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

20. Just give us a new album already

21. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Or at the very least repress Body Talk on vinyl so it doesn't cost hundreds.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't know that track was from a full EP they did together coming this Friday. Idk who Mr. Tophat is but I'm down for some new Robyn jams.

sophos34 likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. irthesteve

I just came in here to say this exact thing.

word for word

sophos34 and brandon_260 like this.
  25. bradsonemanband Jan 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2017)
    it's not like i'm directly tweeting her demanding that she put out an album. i doubt she's on this forum reading my comments.